bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st May 2012, 12:11   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Researchers produce first room-temperature SOx ReRAM

Researchers at UCL have created the first material which allows ReRAM modules to work at ambient temperatures.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...m-temp-reram/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 14:27   #2
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Amazing. Most of the great breakthroughs are found by accident. This is one of them.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 15:01   #3
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awkward. I've been reading too little tech and too much engine material to think of SOx as silicon oxide any more.

I found myself wondering what on earth sulfur oxides had to do with memory technology..
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 15:03   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
Awkward. I've been reading too little tech and too much engine material to think of SOx as silicon oxide any more. I found myself wondering what on earth sulfur oxides had to do with memory technology..
Hah! I wanted to write "silicon oxide" in full, but the headline was already pushing illegibility so settled for SOx. Trouble is, it's a major breakthrough but one which is hard to quantify in a small number of words: it's not the first ReRAM prototype, or the first silicon oxide ReRAM prototype, or the first room-temperature ReRAM prototype, but the first room-temperature silicon oxide ReRAM prototype. Bit of a mouthful, that one!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 17:05   #5
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Hah! I wanted to write "silicon oxide" in full, but the headline was already pushing illegibility so settled for SOx. Trouble is, it's a major breakthrough but one which is hard to quantify in a small number of words: it's not the first ReRAM prototype, or the first silicon oxide ReRAM prototype, or the first room-temperature ReRAM prototype, but the first room-temperature silicon oxide ReRAM prototype. Bit of a mouthful, that one!
In that case, us Si rather than S. One extra character, and it's not using the wrong element.
Old 21st May 2012, 18:00   #6
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
SOx makes me think of sodium vapour lights.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 18:01   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I'm glad i haven't bought an SSD yet, assuming something like this is affordable. Even if it isn't, i'm sure it'll drop the prices of SSD once that is no longer the fastest form of permanent storage.

What I'd personally like to see is a SATA3 RAM drive, or better yet, a way to bridge 2 computers via SATA, where the 2nd computer is a RAM drive itself. If something like this were possible, it'd be even better if you could do something like RAID 0 with 4 ports, offering unbeatable speeds.
Old 21st May 2012, 19:42   #8
Alecto
Multimodder

Alecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the DremelAlecto has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
I'm glad i haven't bought an SSD yet, assuming something like this is affordable. Even if it isn't, i'm sure it'll drop the prices of SSD once that is no longer the fastest form of permanent storage.
Indeed it will ! And going by other technologies (LCD, LED, OLED, graphene etc.) it's only going to take what, 10+ years before it sees the light of day as a practical consumer item ?
Alecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:33   #9
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
It would be more appropriate to change all instances of SOx to SiOx with the x subscripted if possible. This would more accurately describe the silicon-rich silica used in this application.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:33   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes
SOx makes me think of sodium vapour lights.
Why? Sodium is Na.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAceman
It would be more appropriate to change all instances of SOx to SiOx with the x subscripted if possible. This would more accurately describe the silicon-rich silica used in this application.
Yup, or SiO2 or even just SiO would be less confusing than SOx.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:59   #11
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:

What I'd personally like to see is a SATA3 RAM drive, or better yet, a way to bridge 2 computers via SATA, where the 2nd computer is a RAM drive itself. If something like this were possible, it'd be even better if you could do something like RAID 0 with 4 ports, offering unbeatable speeds.
To the first, I like that idea...I like it a lot. If I wasn't completely broke, I would have maxed out the RAM in my system and handed most of it off to a RAM disk that initializes on boot. As long as you remember to sync your RAM disk back to permanent storage before you shut down, life is good.

To the second, though, huh? What are you on about with that?
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:10   #12
e1ixer
What's a Dremel?

e1ixer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love how my favourite tech news site is covering my research group's work, makes it way cooler than the BBC covering it. Please can someone remove the erroneous "SOx" in the title. A Facebook quote from Adnan himself:

" Adnan Mehonic What is SOx? Sulfur oxide lol "

Many here have already commented correctly that it's wrong so let's sort this out.
e1ixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:38   #13
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by e1ixer View Post
I love how my favourite tech news site is covering my research group's work, makes it way cooler than the BBC covering it. Please can someone remove the erroneous "SOx" in the title. A Facebook quote from Adnan himself:

" Adnan Mehonic What is SOx? Sulfur oxide lol "

Many here have already commented correctly that it's wrong so let's sort this out.
Headline's already changed (to SiO,) but there's not much I can do about this 'ere forum thread.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:29   #14
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@ schmidtbag: not exactly what your thinking, but a lot faster. check out OCZ's RevoDrives, that's DDR3 modules connnecting over a PCI-E bus. expensive as hell though.

glad to see this, flash memory needs a breakthrough pretty bad right now IMO. commercialization is hard to do when the previous generation is literally 100 times cheaper.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:41   #15
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic
Quote:

To the first, I like that idea...I like it a lot. If I wasn't completely broke, I would have maxed out the RAM in my system and handed most of it off to a RAM disk that initializes on boot. As long as you remember to sync your RAM disk back to permanent storage before you shut down, life is good.

To the second, though, huh? What are you on about with that?
Well first of all, I was thinking that possibly a laptop system would be used as the RAM drive, so that way its more likely to be low-power and would have a battery to help protect it from losing data. Being a linux user, it would be easy for me to write a script to automatically sync the data to a permanent form of storage - I already wrote a script that generates RAM drives.

SATA is currently the fastest and cheapest form of data transfer that nearly every computer supports. If it were somehow possible to make a computer treat its SATA ports as a drive, the ports could be re-routed to the RAM drive (again, this is something Linux would likely be able to do), which could either allow multiple computers to connect to it at a time, or do RAID so you get unparalleled performance. If I knew how to treat a SATA port as a drive, I could probably take care of the rest myself. Or, if there was some sort of bridge that lets you "network" 2 computers via SATA. Ethernet isn't an option because its far too slow in comparison, I have yet to see any way to connect 2 computers via USB 3 (besides, even though that has a higher bandwidth, that doesn't mean its faster than SATA), and Thunderbolt isn't popular enough.
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:11   #16
vodkas666
Modder

vodkas666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
Amazing. Most of the great breakthroughs are found by accident. This is one of them.
I wouldn't say it was discovered by accident as they where looking at Si LED's, something that is know to be too awkward to work and still wouldn't be as cheap as what is available. They should be glad that they found something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotkicked View Post
commercialization is hard to do when the previous generation is literally 100 times cheaper.
Commercialization of anything Si based us quite easy as it is normally quite cheap and easy to produce in a large quantity compared to most solid state materials. In theory they should be as cheap, if not cheaper, than current technology once developed if enough interested parties can be found.

I hope that when my co-authored paper on the development of an optical receiver that could make fibre-optic networks more viable that I could get this level of coverage, although I highly doubt anyone would pick it up
vodkas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 12:27   #17
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkas666 View Post
I hope that when my co-authored paper on the development of an optical receiver that could make fibre-optic networks more viable that I could get this level of coverage, although I highly doubt anyone would pick it up
If it holds the promise of revolutionising the way optical networking works (many times faster, many times cheaper, many times longer-range - whatever) then I wouldn't be surprised. Email me an abstract - it sounds interesting.
Old 24th May 2012, 09:59   #18
vodkas666
Modder

vodkas666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
If it holds the promise of revolutionising the way optical networking works (many times faster, many times cheaper, many times longer-range - whatever) then I wouldn't be surprised. Email me an abstract - it sounds interesting.
At the minute there is a problem with some of the characterizing of the material (the electron tunneling isn't what we thought it was) and we're waiting on someone else outside the department to do some modelling for it. As I'm the lesser of the partners being a 4th Year undergrad and co-working on it with a PhD student and supervisor I'll get there permissions first but once everything is in place I'll get back to you.

It will allow for signal splitting without a huge consequence on the strength and our devices are being grown on a cheaper substrate now due to new growing techniques. They should also quite easily be quicker than the currently used material.

P.S. It could be a few months as the PhD guy is really slow and I'm about to graduate.
vodkas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 10:45   #19
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
About sodium vapour lights:

Quote:
Why? Sodium is Na.
Yes, but they're still colloquially referred to as "SOX" and "SON" type lamps. God knows why.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote