bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th May 2012, 10:21   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Google funds computer science teacher training

Google's Eric Schmidt has promised cash to train and equip UK computer science teachers.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...her-training/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 15:43   #2
badders
Neuken in de Keuken

badders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for presidentbadders should be considered for president
Admittedly el Goog has a vested interest in acquiring more and better CompSci engineers, but IMO this program can only be a good thing.

Investment in furthering and expanding children's early education is going to be vital for the UK economy in 15-20-40 years. It would be nice if other industries contributed to charitable education institutions in a similar manner - it would be just as bad if suddenly, 50% of school leavers wanted to do Computer Science.
badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:08   #3
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I sure wish they would do the same for the US education system, it could certainly use it. In high school and middle school we had zero courses to teach the finer points of computer usage, much less programming. what's worse is that my state is one of the best for education, and my high school was among the best in the country. I only graduated high school two years ago, so it likely has not improved since then.

I find CompSci education to be lacking all around, not just at the elementary levels. I have never met anyone who was drawn to computer science by an educational program, it's always self-motivated. If we could just teach children to use their computers effectively at a young age, I'm sure mankind as a whole would become more productive.

Although, if everyone starts learning to use a computer properly, many of us geeks might have to get real jobs since nobody will pay us to fix the "Magic Box" by running a virus scan. DEATH TO GOOGLE!!!
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 16:24   #4
nuc13ar
Modder

nuc13ar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would expect nothing less from Google. They are the competing branch. I found computer science to be boring though, game design/content creation is where its at for me
nuc13ar is offline   Reply With Quote