bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 22nd Feb 2009, 14:23   #1
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
BIO-MECHANICAL KHAOS: (thank you Nvidia & EVGA!)

This build utilizes the EVGA X58 SLI CLASSIFIED Motherboard!

We are using Nvidia 295GTXs for triple SLI!

Thank you very very much to Nvidia and EVGA

The KHAOS case arrives at Mnpctech from NZXT!

In the video, I was debating about Watchmen or Bio, I'm definately doing a bio-mechanical with the Khaos. I actually like the case stripped down to it's shell. It's the extruded aluminum surface I dig. I ordered this medical model skull as my starting point. I also contact NZXT about getting another HD cage (shown here).

Video updated added on April 27th.

Photo Update: 3/08/09

Photo Update: 4/26/09

Photo Update: 4/29/09

I ordered this medical model skull as my starting point

The skull is mounted in the top 5.25 bay. more on why later

Heres the entire bay assembly removed from the chassis.

Whats your remedy for a headache?!

Everythings growing out from the skull, it's my starting point for everything morphing out. This is the housing from a small motor I found. I love the design. The skull will be hosting the system Power & Reset switches (22mm & 16mm lamptron vandal switches, w/orange leds) The mounting plate I made (below) attaches to the upper half of the skull.

I'll be implementing a lot of plastic wire loom, heres 1" loom inserted up the nose, HR GIGER style

Adding more mechanical details to the skull, 1/8" Black opaque acrylic will serve as skull plate

Holding over heat gun

After the acrylic is flexible, I can bend it to follow the curvature of it's forehead

8/32 socket head screws fasten on the skull plate

The skull model needed help. The factory's casting process isn't very good. theres gaps between the individual pieces. but what do you expect for $30 from Ebay?!

Notice the dry wall bit planted behind the eye sockets? another giger idea at work!

The 120mm intakes are finished. Milled from 1-1/4" thick, 6061 aluminum. 6.5" O.D.

The grills served as prototype for new 120mm fan grills Mnpctech will be offering in December 2009

One of the designs, 1/2" thick aluminum "Overkill Grills" by Mnpctech, $49.99

TARGETED

NAUTILUS

Last edited by mnpctech; 17th Dec 2009 at 20:12.
mnpctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 14:54   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Go Bill! GO!

I like that NZXT case, but its just far too pricey...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 16:19   #3
skullen
Supermodder

skullen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice intake Bill,very very nice
skullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 19:07   #4
camera man
Minimodder

camera man has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this looks awsome cant wait to see more
camera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 23:55   #5
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks dudes yes, very pricey case..*gasp

The machined aluminum 120mm intakes, with fresh matte black paint.. love it

whats this hole for?

Ohhh... it's for the ribbed plastic loom.
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 02:44   #6
barry99705
sudo rm -Rf /

barry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbarry99705 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Heh, ribbed, for her pleasure....
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 11:40   #7
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

lol, I knew something like that would be stated. I was just telling the guy from NZXT that they probally wouldn't recognize the case after it's finished, a pre-warning if you will. I already pissed off Thermaltake as a sponsor. "Can you make it look more like the original?" They told me this after the project was finished.
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 13:06   #8
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
lol, I knew something like that would be stated. I was just telling the guy from NZXT that they probally wouldn't recognize the case after it's finished, a pre-warning if you will. I already pissed off Thermaltake as a sponsor. "Can you make it look more like the original?" They told me this after the project was finished.
If these companies want their cases to look more like the 'original' the first rule would be:

Never send one to a modder!

john
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 16:06   #9
Brian E. Hanson
Minimodder

Brian E. Hanson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
I already pissed off Thermaltake as a sponsor. "Can you make it look more like the original?" They told me this after the project was finished.
If you're talking about the AMD Phenom masterpiece you did with the Thermaltake case, funny thing is, that Phenom case got more attention then all of the lifespan of their SwordM case.

It was interesting when they unvieled it as a new case but, it was awsome when you finished it...
Brian E. Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 16:27   #10
Sir Digby
The Supprising Adventures

Sir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run CrysisSir Digby can run Crysis
Those intake surrounds are very, very nice guess I don't want to know how much they cost though
Sir Digby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 16:35   #11
brinkz0r
Hypermodder

brinkz0r has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Really like the video, and I'm sure I will be liking the end result
brinkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 17:26   #12
jodah175
Wannabe Modder

jodah175 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
dude, this is gonna be sweet. Gonna have to keep the g/f from seeing this, lest i be dragged into a Giger themed mod (i already made that mistake with her RB2 guitar)
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 18:04   #13
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

@ John, you would think Piss-take would take that into account...lol

@ Brian, thats the case.. they complained after they saw it on Engadget!!

@ Sir Digby, I can make more, $125 apiece + shipping

Thanks everybody for the comments!

I'm kicking around the idea of bringing out left over Owens Corning insulation foam from Ghost Rider build, sculpt a bezel frame around the intakes, and maybe making a top panel with it too.. when I did GRPC I used 1/8" thick sheet of 6061 aluminum for the base, the foam is epoxied onto the base. I cover the insulation pores with fiberglass filler, sand the cured filler by hand and use a dremel for carving intricate details. It's time consuming process, but yields a very strong piece that won't crack or chip if dropped. It will also lighted up the overall weight of the Khaos case.

Here I'm working Ghost Rider bezel made from insulation foam and fiberglass

Old 23rd Feb 2009, 19:03   #14
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that paint job is unreal mate... soooo sick.
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 20:20   #15
NysoO
Handcrafted

NysoO has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lots of cool features in the KHAOS case. Seen by your previous work Bill, this'll case will look astonishing.
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 23:33   #16
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
We can't afford the aluminum. -make casts!
Those are freakin' cool.

-And you had better put a pop-o-matic bubble in the top of the skull.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 16:26   #17
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

and I can't afford to make the casts , pop-o-matic bubble..? my brain's search engine just pulled up an image of big daddy's Mysterion...

In order to reach my vision for this journey, some things on the Khaos will be sacrificed. The overlapping edges of the side panels for starters...Good grief, these panels look cool, but they hang out in the wind... Maybe keep them and do BATMAN theme mod...? Nnnope!

Old 24th Feb 2009, 17:37   #18
Reverse
Reverse/srvR

Reverse has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What the overlapping panels need to go?
I will go cry in a corner...

Curious... but crying
Reverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 17:45   #19
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
A snowglobe in there probably wouldn't fit your theme, but what about turning the brainpan into a reservoir?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2009, 22:47   #20
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

swirling around, remember "brain wash" pop? I loved that stuff... and that idea would be sweet, but you wont see it.

Pre-fitting skull and intake covers.. I need to fab a 5.25 cage above the skull, thinking I may salvage a quick release style 5.25 bay from the old chieftec dragon tower.

Imagine if the skull matte blackalready.. Yum, but I'm still working on detailing the skull, so it will be awhile before I paint it.

Last edited by mnpctech; 24th Feb 2009 at 23:18.
mnpctech is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode