1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Dmx Lighting Overkill worked out some minor details

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bluc, 31 May 2012.

1. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Hey all first build log here and second scratch build computer case.I have made a fair amount of progress and thought it was time to share. :D Bare with me with this build it will take me a while to complete as I have limited funds. Ok where to start. :dremel:
    Here is the concept of what I want the case to look like.

[​IMG]

So after many hours tweaking my design , time to start on the frame. For the frame I am using quebolok corner joiners and 25.4mm aluminium square extrusion. Here are some pictures of the frame. Pretty straight forward. Cut the aluminium to length and knock together with a rubber mallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 23 Sep 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  2. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Ok with the frame done was time to start on other stuff. I am getting the panels cnc cut out of acrylic while I was waiting for them I thought I would start on the motherboard tray. I got a piece of 2mm aluminium cut and bent to shape then proceeded to cut out the io shiled hole and drill the standoff mounting holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to allow for the thickness of the aluminium extrusion I need a spacer so the motherboard tray “looks right” from the end and in the motherboard area so I started work on it. Also cut the cpu access hole and the and cable management holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s all the progress I have made on the motherboard tray for now more updates on that later.
    In the meantime my acrylic panels have arrived

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This is sure going to be a huge case :p

Nice start ;)

4. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

:D Thanks. I dont know whats going on with my photos being to large I uploaded to photobucket then used photobucket to resize to 640x480 but they are still coming up as 1024? Any ideas?

5. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

I had this same problem, it seems that Photobucket only resizes the shown image on their site but still keeps the original res for linking.

Just resize and upload them to your profile on bit-tech and link from there, I don't even go near outside hosting sites for posting images in the forums here anymore. Just be sure the album you create on your profile is a public one or the images will drop off your thread.

6. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info I will fix the images on first two posts then upload my final update for now cheers:rock:

7. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Next step fit the panels. I have chosen to use rivnuts and bolts to fasten the panels. I think rivnuts are awesome

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found a few errors in my design I did not allow for thickness on rivnut flange so going to have some small gaps. Unfortunately I don’t have the funds to re do the panels so I will just have to accept it. But over all I love the way it looks few more pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on using dmx lighting in the case hence the tittle it will use about 10m all up of led strips the lighting will be capable of uv/ colour change/ flash strobing, chasing and just about any combination of all the above.
    Really look forward to making more progress but will be a few weeks before next update. In the mean time I am drawing the final pieces I need cut and starting to plan the wiring harness. The bulk of the wiring will run through the aluminium channel to keep it hidden. In the mean time I hope you enjoy my project more updates asap cheers.

8. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thats an amazing idea bro and neat execution! Mod on!

9. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thanks this case has been bugging me for a couple of years to be built :D could not wait any longer further along I go more I like it!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

For the little gap there that's happened because of the rivnuts... simply drill a milimeter or two into the plexi where the flange of the rivnuts are. This will make the plexi sit flush again ;)

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good but could be a bit risky though, I know no risk no glory & all but could go all the way through or even crack the acrylic or even miss-align the spots which would be a nightmare if he wouldn't be able to get new panels done for a while, it is the best solution possibly but not without risk. :D

I'd say try this one first mate unless someone has a better solution but do test it on scrap first. :)
    I seen someone file down the tops of rivets recently & they held perfectly ok, why not install a riv-nut into a piece of scrap & see if you can do that, I know they aren't the same but it might work & don't think you'd need to file all the way down so it's got nothing to hold on to, just enough to make the bulge insignificant to not interfere with the panel.

Personally I think I'd get either 0.5mm or 1mm depending on how much they stick out aluminium sheet or whatever fitting material you fancied & fix strips to the frame & file away notches where they are in the way & you will have gapless sides, just a thought.

Really nice start bluc & looking good. :dremel:

12. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Looks good dude, looking forward to seeing the final product! Waynio is onto something with the use of aluminium sheet to fill in the gaps :)

13. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Yes great idea I was thinking of making a rubber gasket never thought of using aluminium :dremel: I thought of countersinking the rivnut flange into the acrylic but decieded to risky really dont want to have to buy new panels they cost me an arm and part of a leg as it was :eeek: The other idea I had was use rubber molding like I have seen people use on here for cable management holes in motherboard trays the rubber u channel stuff I think that would take up the gap just not sure what it would look like. From memory I think the flange is .8 will measure before I start to make sure

Last edited: 1 Jun 2012
  14. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Anybody know what the pitch is on swiftech quiet power radiator mount holes? I got some m3.5x.5 machine screws but they dont fit. I need 8mm long ones and 30mm long ones. Or if someone knows a retailer would be a bonus :) M3.5 seems to be a hard to find size.
    Edit: taken from swiftech "6-32 US thread or M3.5 metric thread" are us thread and metric thread a type of thread pitch? Google is not my friend atm and not getting any closer to finding these bolts :-(

15. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Another question anybody know of a Breakout board similar to this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1354_1356&products_id=18848 with 4 pin headers instead of two pin headers? I have a heap of led work to do about 20 highlight led and they all need to connect to a single wire which leads through my frame back to the led driver and am wondering best way to terminate them. Need to be 4pin as I am using rgb leds and was thinking maybe some sort of Breakout board with resisters would be good. Help appreciated and thanks in advance.:dremel:

16. Squigly

Squigly MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Hey Bluc, the same supplier you showed above actually does a 4pin molex breakout, think its called a X-station power extension. check here

17. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link. Ok after a nights sleep and looking through all their power stations I am convinced my idea wont work. These would all have to have a fixed input voltage to function what I need is something that functions the same as a rgb led strip but in breakout board format. I need the board to accept variable voltage for colour changes. Anybody have any ideas? I may have to look at getting a pcb made and making it myself. This level of electronics is all new to me but am eager to learn if anyone can give me any advice.:thumb::dremel:

18. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thought I would share a couple more pictures. Here is a shot of my two Swiftech MCR320QP radiators and my monster 4 loop reservoir.

[​IMG]

Also a shot of my dmx led drivers. Note these are the analouge drivers for rgb strip and single colour strip. For digital strips a different type of driver is needed. I will do a post on using these strips when I have everything working.

[​IMG]
    :dremel:

Last edited: 2 Jun 2012
  19. Detsawm

Detsawm What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome, no chance of my first build ever coming out like this lol. Looking forward to the end result

20. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Thanks this is my second build and I have forgotton how much brain work is involved with these builds:D