bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st May 2012, 09:16   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Dell launches ARM-based server range

Dell has launched Copper, a range of ARM-based many-core servers.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-arm-servers/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:05   #2
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
ARM for all!

I've always been a bit of a fan of RISC architecture; it always seemed to make more efficient use of clock cycles compared to x86. ARM-powered servers will be a godsend for power consumption and heat, not to mention space. One of these 48-core machines could easily be virtualised into multiple different virtual servers. I realise that you can do that with x86 machines, but the ARM version would use much less power. The article doesn't state how fast each core is, but I know the Cortex A15 can be pretty speedy. Allocate 4 cores per virtual server and - in theory - you've suddenly got one system providing 12 servers.

Any word on what the clock speed of the individual cores are, or what sort of cooling they need? It would be a pretty incredible prospect if they can survive high-load situations with passive cooling.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:17   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
Any word on what the clock speed of the individual cores are, or what sort of cooling they need? It would be a pretty incredible prospect if they can survive high-load situations with passive cooling.
1.6GHz - they're Armada XP 78460 quad-core chips.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 14:24   #4
BLC

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
1.6GHz - they're Armada XP 78460 quad-core chips.
Wait...what? Quad-core chips? So one of these machines fully-packed with 48 SoCs has 192 processing cores available?

The mind boggles.

Again, yes I know you can do that with an x86 server, but I doubt that would fit in 3U. Plus an x86 server with 48 processors would eat gigawatts of power before it's even spent two minutes booting.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:39   #5
BLC

Just found some more info on The Register when googling that chip. Apparently each sled, or server node, consumes 15W under peak load; it doesn't state whether that includes the hard disk power consumption, but assuming it does that equates to a total of 180W draw across 12 sleds at peak load. That's less than a PC from 5 years ago - hell, even 10 years ago. Not to put too fine a point on it, but...F*** ME!
Old 1st Jun 2012, 10:43   #6
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
processors based on ARM's Cortex-A15 'Eagle' IP in a 64-bit implementation
This is completely wrong. They're Marvell ARMADA-XP, not Cortex-A15. And they're ARMv7 so definitely not 64-bit either.
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2012, 10:48   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
This is completely wrong. They're Marvell ARMADA-XP, not Cortex-A15. And they're ARMv7 so definitely not 64-bit either.
My mistake: they have a 64-bit memory bus, but a 32-bit local bus - I just saw "64-bit." I'll correct the piece. The Cortex-A15 confusion came from Dell's less-than-clear press release in which it singularly failed to actually mention what chip it was using - you'd think if it really wanted to be seen as leading in a brave new market, it'd make a bit more information available at launch...

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 1st Jun 2012 at 10:53.
Old 1st Jun 2012, 11:02   #8
BLC

Regardless of the specific chip being used, it's still a pretty damn tasty prospect.
Old 1st Jun 2012, 11:51   #9
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Yeah, looks awesome! As you said, 192 cores in 3U!

Gareth, the Armada XP is the chip - Armada XP is a core, just like each of the Cortex series and the Scorpion/Krait CPUs in Qualcomm products. Good job on the fix - it's great that bit-tech does corrections, loads of websites are happy to fire and forget with news articles!
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2012, 12:48   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
Gareth, the Armada XP is the chip - Armada XP is a core, just like each of the Cortex series and the Scorpion/Krait CPUs in Qualcomm products. Good job on the fix - it's great that bit-tech does corrections, loads of websites are happy to fire and forget with news articles!
I realise that - but Dell's original launch announcement completely fails to name the chip or even the manufacturer - it just says ARM with no other details. I found out it was an Armada chip from Marvell itself and posted the update in the comments - but forgot I'd written Cortex-A15 in the article!

I'm always happy to update pieces if there's a mistake or new information - it does nobody any good to have misleading our outdated information published. That's the trouble with the web - everything lives forever..