bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Feedback & Suggestions

Old 4th Jun 2012, 21:45   #1
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Why are full screen adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Why are full screen 'surprise!' adverts back on Bit-Tech?

Simple question. No doubt will be answered by waffle, lies, half truths, and plain ol' bull sh*t...

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2012, 22:12   #2
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm damned if I give an answer here and damned if I don't I suspect. As always, can you do me a screengrab of any full screen, non-skippable ads that appear.

Thanks

Simon
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:28   #3
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brumgrunt View Post
I'm damned if I give an answer here and damned if I don't I suspect. As always, can you do me a screengrab of any full screen, non-skippable ads that appear.

Thanks

Simon
Hi Simon,

I've taken a screen grab of the advert, but I can't seem to attach it to the post as it only asks for a URL...?

Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:36   #4
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgers View Post
Hi Simon,

I've taken a screen grab of the advert, but I can't seem to attach it to the post as it only asks for a URL...?
Upload it to something like http://imageshack.us/
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:38   #5
greypilgers
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanperry View Post
Upload it to something like http://imageshack.us/
I'd love to, if I could be bothered to go around uploading stuff to third party sites just to show a company their own adverts when I complain about them. You used to be able to upload direct from pictures locally...?

Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:53   #6
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fair point.

I've never done this, but maybe this will work?

1) Create an album: http://forums.bit-tech.net/album.php?do=addalbum

2) Once created, click the "Click here to upload pictures!" link

3) Upload then go back into the album to get the link
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 21:54   #7
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Look in your 'User CP' there's an option for uploading pictures around there somewhere.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 15:24   #8
greypilgers
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumgrunt View Post

Thanks

Simon
Full screen advert screen grab here. I'm not sure what's worse... The fact there's still more full screen adverts interrupting our user experience, or the fact that they now look so $hitty and half-ar$ed!?!?!?!

Edit - posted the link from the screen grab i put in my forum album, but it doesnt seem to be showing on my view... Perhaps the forum is too embarassed by the awfully presented advert to let it be printed here!

Last edited by Nexxo; 7th Jun 2012 at 15:57. Reason: Fixed image link
Old 7th Jun 2012, 15:54   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
No, you just posted the wrong image linking code (click on the image in your album, then copy the BB code listed below and paste it in here).

If you want people to adress your complaint you have to show a modicum of cooperation, and that includes being prepared to upload a screen grab of the offending advert. There is no other way to post images in any forum than as a URL link in IMG tags.

Also, I'm not sure what you expect Simon to say. He has no control over this stuff and he is not kept in the picture much more than we are.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 17:14   #10
greypilgers
Supermodder

Thanks for the assist Nexxo. Although taking your post the logical next step further, there really is no point in any of us making any kind of comment about advertising or similar changes to BT, as, as you point out, the editorial team have no power to effect change to this in any way whatsoever...?

However, if we really really really really must have silly full screen adverts, please would the powers that be make them a bit better than this. It looks like something I'VE made...

Old 7th Jun 2012, 17:39   #11
sui_winbolo
Giraffe_City

sui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysissui_winbolo can run Crysis
Looks like a poorly coded advertisement, like something wasn't coded properly, got put into the advertisement loop, and devours the website.

Either way, there are extensions made for some browsers that take care of all ad related issues.

I personally haven't had any popup ads on this site before. Just the normal banner ads. Maybe you have some adware on your PC? Unless you've scanned it recently, might be something to rule out.
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD | Corsair Pro 650w PSU | Silverstone MATX Case ::

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
sui_winbolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 18:37   #12
greypilgers
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sui_winbolo View Post
Looks like a poorly coded advertisement, like something wasn't coded properly, got put into the advertisement loop, and devours the website.

Either way, there are extensions made for some browsers that take care of all ad related issues.

I personally haven't had any popup ads on this site before. Just the normal banner ads. Maybe you have some adware on your PC? Unless you've scanned it recently, might be something to rule out.
Good thought, but I scan regularly, and only ever encounter this advertisment on Bit-Tech and only about half a minute after opening an article on here - which correlates with previous adverts from Bit-Tech.

I don't run any type of ad-blocker or anything that would prevent normal, well-thought out advertising from taking place because, contrary to what some may think, I actually don't mind normal, well-thought out advertising. I just have a strong dislike for lazy advertising that imposes itself in a way that is harmful to the user experience. I would expect those being paid to conduct the advertising campaigns to be a little more intelligent. I may not have the answers but it certainly can be done if people put their minds to it.

Case in point - I invite you to google 'McDonalds' 'Poppies' and 'Ad Campaign'. An ingeniously crafted piece of advertising. Whatever your opinion of it, the advertising worker who came up with this demonstrated clear and fresh thinking.

Old 8th Jun 2012, 10:37   #13
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
However, if we really really really really must have silly full screen adverts, please would the powers that be make them a bit better than this. It looks like something I'VE made...
I agree that all full-screen adverts should be like the new Hitman trailer: vacuous rubbish should at least look mildly entertaining. You just can't have enough scantily PVC-clad nuns in 6-inch heels toting big guns.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2012, 19:14   #14
greypilgers
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
I agree that all full-screen adverts should be like the new Hitman trailer: vacuous rubbish should at least look mildly entertaining. You just can't have enough scantily PVC-clad nuns in 6-inch heels toting big guns.
Ha ha ha! Love it...

Old 9th Jun 2012, 11:15   #15
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
there is enough space around the edges of the articles for advertising, full screen adverts that pop up, whilst you're in the middle of reading something are annoying f*cking stop it, didn't you learn after last time
Old 11th Jun 2012, 19:31   #16
soopahfly
Multimodder

soopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysissoopahfly can run Crysis
Quote:
Full screen advert screen grab here. I'm not sure what's worse... The fact there's still more full screen adverts interrupting our user experience, or the fact that they now look so $hitty and half-ar$ed!?!?!?!

Edit - posted the link from the screen grab i put in my forum album, but it doesnt seem to be showing on my view... Perhaps the forum is too embarassed by the awfully presented advert to let it be printed here!
I just got this whilst clicking onto an article. Upshot was, I didn't click the advert and I didn't read the article. I just closed the page.
soopahfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2012, 07:46   #17
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Same here, and that's with ad and flash block still enabled. I never pictured a site like Bit Tech using this sort of ad. I'm not impressed.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2012, 23:11   #18
greypilgers
Supermodder

It is rather bemusing that not only are we facing the latest and greatest full screen advert from those wonderful chaps at Dennis marketing, but also that the attempts at presentation appear to be completely overlooked now. At least the eBay full-screen ad looked like someone had been paid to make it... This one looks like it was done by someone whilst on the crapper...

Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:48   #19
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by soopahfly View Post
I just got this whilst clicking onto an article. Upshot was, I didn't click the advert and I didn't read the article. I just closed the page.
Same here
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:01   #20
longweight
Possibly Longbeard.

longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.longweight is definitely a rep cheat.
I wish that the forum was free from the "review" side of things, it could be self funded with donations and maybe a 5% tax on marketplace sales.
longweight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adverts, argh damn adverts my head, bit-tech, dennis, not cheesecake, penis enlargement reviews, petition