bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 5th Jun 2012, 18:34   #1
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Rebirth ..... Completed... Total cost 132..

Some of you may remember Bulldogs box LINK .

Well since it was finished it's ended up moving house twice and been shoved in cupboards and basically taken a bit of a hammering. It's been raped for it's insides, bits have been pilfered for other builds and it's ended up a bit of a sorry looking mess.

So I've decided a rebuild is in order, the idea being to spend as little money as possible and use the bits that I have laying around.

So with out further ado heres a few pics of what it ended up looking like.

Back in the good old days it was like this..

And this is what it ended up like...

Not what you'd call pretty really is it.

I haven't got much much done due to the crappy weather , but basically my plan is to totally redo the case.

Now as this build is being controlled by an 8 year old there no telling what direction it will end up going, but 1 of the first things I thought about was that huge grill on the top and how best to take advantage of it, so I made a nice big hole and slapped a 200mm fan it.

Thats it for today, the weather called a halt to it all before I get get anymore done.

WHat i did forget to mention is that this build is been sponsored by TEELZYBUB and CARRIE, who very kindly donated a lot of the bits being used, so a big thank you to both of them from myself and Dylan.

Last edited by bulldogjeff; 24th Dec 2012 at 19:40.
bulldogjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2012, 18:59   #2
bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teelzebub View Post
Nice one jeff glad to see you back in the game mate and of course a father and son team what could go wrong

Good luck luck on the build mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
Best of luck with the build, I know Dylan will love the finished product. Jelly beans featuring in it or not?

Oh, and the answer to your question is today, the day the death knell tolled
Thank you both for giving me the bits to get this one off the ground. it's most appreciated and it's great to have mates like you 2 around..
Old 5th Jun 2012, 19:55   #3
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
oooh, scrap heap challenge!
Thats pretty much what this builds going to be ....lol
Old 6th Jun 2012, 12:23   #4
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Shame to see the old girl in such bad shape.
But still, seeing a restore job like this is going to be great! Can't wait, and many thanks Tel and Carrie!
Might be slightly more than a restoration mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
I have no idea why you're thanking me kid but re Jeff that's what friends (real friends I mean) do for one another
Dylans well happy with it all in a temp case and has had some mad ideas for a paint job already
Old 7th Jun 2012, 10:38   #5
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
These are always interesting.

Subbed!
No more fridges....lol
Old 7th Jun 2012, 12:46   #6
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarte View Post
there better be LED's by the wheelbarrow load ..
Dave you're talking to the king of bling here mate. Would you really expect anything less...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa View Post
And Fire Vinyls along with the paint-restore...
We done flames in heatblast, but it's been designed by an 8 year old so expect some thing quite loud and lairy

I still think Heat Blast is my favorite build, it was pretty simple but there's just some thing about it that looks so right.
Old 7th Jun 2012, 15:41   #7
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Something Scifi could be nice
Don't go giving him ideas Tel..lol He's got enough of them already
Quote:
The only issue I see so far is that 200mm fan is on intake... Don't panic young one it's only a test fit

Might want to flip that the other way up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flame696 View Post
come on where are the updates......get your skates on....
And as for you, you impatient git.....lol

Dam rain just won't give up, I managed about 20 mins on the build today Arghhhhh !!!
Old 8th Jun 2012, 11:25   #8
bulldogjeff

Quote:
LEDS were your mouth is sunshine .. LOL
Proof of Excessive LED over kill, is inducing an epileptic fit on me when I browse your work log
I have a funny feeling Dylan will want a few LED's thrown in for good measure.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 11:40   #9
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloFunky View Post
Light emitting diodes are prob best electronic device ever.

I remember when they managed to create a blue one, but i wasnt going to pay the 350 each to get one.

Nice to see your still doing a few mods and builds.
I remember when the blue stuff started appearing, everything was always 10 quid more expensive.

As for the build, it's only supposed to be a quick one for/ by Dylan, but knowing me it will turn in to some thing much bigger. It some how always does..lol
Old 10th Jun 2012, 18:37   #10
bulldogjeff

Quote:
everything in moderation dear boy, however since this is Mod-Nation .. Excess Required
I can't remember last weekend let alone when they brought out specific colours of LEDS
This week end has turned in to a bit of a blur...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslis View Post
Following this one for sure.
Old 10th Jun 2012, 19:34   #11
bulldogjeff

So I finally managed to drag myself out of the pub and the sun came out for a while so here's a little update.

First thing I done today was to finish off the 200 mm fan in the top and get rid of all the gaps..

A pretty easy job, first temp fixed the fan in place and then I used to alu mesh to support the edges and then filled them with a fiber glass based filler, next it was a case of rubbing down and filling over the top to create and nice round hole and a base for painting later on.

After that I turned my attention to the front door and made some hole, I know more holes.

The original vents were filled and rubbed down and the some holes cut in to the panel.

Now even though I've done the hole, I'm not totally sure I like them, I'm going to fit some nice grills in behind them and I'll make a proper judgment then..

Then I made more holes...woooohooo

Nice and simple this time, in the bottom of the chassis

So thats it for now. Thanks for looking
Old 10th Jun 2012, 19:44   #12
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asouter View Post
Ahhh pub then the drill, Drunk in charge of a drill, hmmm sounds like a recipe for...well y'know but it is looking good..I bet you drink Carling Black Label
Most of the drinking was done on Friday and then had a reasonably quiet night last night and as for my tipple, I was mainly on the Bulmers and Friday I was on everything...lol

Quote:
Nice one Jeff
Cheers Tel.
Old 10th Jun 2012, 19:59   #13
bulldogjeff

WTF is going on. I know my builds always run in to a snag or 2, but not this early on.

I'm not a mathematician but I'm sure the last time I checked 200 mm was, well 200mm
Not according to NZXT, no it's 190 feckin mm. WTF is that all about.

So now I have 2 choices, mess about to reduce the hole or try to salvage the fan that was in there, which as you can see from the pics got covered in filler.

I suppose there is a 3rd choice and thats to fit some rubber trim round the hole to reduce it slightly.
I knew I should have stayed in the pub !!

Old 10th Jun 2012, 20:00   #14
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame696 View Post
about time we got some updates we need Moooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr! less drink more work please
Have a look at the last post..I need more drink !!!....lol
Old 10th Jun 2012, 20:51   #15
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Yup. It's a well known gripe about NZXT's "200mm" fans. The only fans i've seen for a while that are actually 200MM are BitFenix fans, but they're probably a touch too expensive for you.
The one I used for the template to make the hole was a bit fenix.

I've had a look at it rubbed it down and given it some undercoat and it's not as badly damaged as I first thought it was.

Last edited by bulldogjeff; 10th Jun 2012 at 22:39.
Old 10th Jun 2012, 23:10   #16
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaming_freak_10 View Post
Shame on you NZXT!!!

The mod looks awesome so far, Jeff!!!
Thanks a lot and yes...Shame on them indeed..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrunchR View Post
How do the 190mm fans look in place? Do they look too small, or do they look like a nice aesthetic choice?
They just look wrong, there's a 5mm gap all the way round, makes them look like an after thought, not the nice flush look I was going for.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 21:34   #17
bulldogjeff

Quote:
lol NZXT caught using the old "yes missy I have a monster in my trousers" old chestnut .. only to be found wanting huh .. lol choice
That sums it up pretty well Dave lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
I say KILL THEM! KILL THEM WITH FIRE!

Good luck fixing it, and have a drink on me!
Quote:
There's the 4th option. Return them and get fans that actually are what they say on the box. While your waiting you can go down the pub. Win + win
Sounds like the general opinion is head off to the pub....I'm up for that. I'll be Back in a few weeks...lol

But on a more serious note, the 200mm Bit fenix looks ok and I think thats what will be going back in the hole.. It was made for it after all and it may well get spun round so it's extract rather than in take.

The bit thats actually worry me more is the door, I'm not so sure I like it now I've filled it with hole and it's kinda a bit late to go back. What probably would look better is some thing along the lines of the MNPC tech over kill sniper grills or something really chunky. But that means opening the hole out to 120 mm. I might have to have a hunt about and see whats out there.

Last edited by bulldogjeff; 11th Jun 2012 at 21:43.
Old 12th Jun 2012, 21:29   #18
bulldogjeff

I think I may have sorted the fan problem. The Bit Fenix fitted as an extract looks like it grew there.
Ok it looks butt ugly right now, but once its sprayed it should be ok. I'm even toying with the idea of making a nice grill/ back plate to cover all the nasty bits on the back.

Old 13th Jun 2012, 17:38   #19
bulldogjeff

Quote:
I dunno, after a few beers it looks gorgeous, it's not like it's a double bagger or anything
I managed to do that bit with out being under the influence..lol
Old 13th Jun 2012, 23:03   #20
bulldogjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkey View Post
Looking good either way!
Thanks a lot dude.

And with a bit of luck, weather permitting, I might be able to get a load done this week end.

View Mode