bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 11th Jun 2012, 05:15   #1
paultan
R E V E N T O N

paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
PAULTAN: ASUS TUF ARMORSUIT Z77: Nominee for MOD of the Year 2012

Finally I had time to create a short and brief worklog for my new case.

It's my first time to build a scratch build case. And I only have 1 week to make the design and 1 week to execute it. It's a big challenge, but I think it is possible.

here are some of the email Asus sent me so you guys would know why, what causes the final look to be the way it is.

Enjoy

Quote:
Hi Mr. Tan,

We just released a SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard this month, and is planning for the coming Computex 2012 event (during June 5th ~ 9th at Taiwan, Taipei). We are now looking for a partner to co-work with us to create demo a modding system at our booth. We wonder if you would be interested in join this program? We will share more detail with you if you would like to join us.

Bellow is for your reference for the product:

ASUS site: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...ABERTOOTH_Z77/

TUF product site: http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/TUF/index.htm

Good day.

Quote:
Dear PaulTan,

Thank you for the patient waiting. Please refer to bellow for this 2012 Computex (Jun5-10) modding project overview.

• Artwork Theme: Military-grade (please avoid blood, violence, or weapon )

• Expected artwork details:

- The main purpose is to promote the new SABERTOOTH Z77 motherboard and its key feature, Thermal Armor. Please allow the motherboard clearly or min 50% can be seen from the chassis.

- The Armor (the black cover) is required to be consider into part of the design, either by painting(2D)/or modding(e.g.:3D deco).

- Try to use the suggested device or please discuss with us if any alternative device you prefer (the list will be update by 4/23.

- We don’t have specific exhibition floor plan at the moment, so no specific size and weight, but it has to be not too difficult for shipping.

• Project check point : (please help provide the photo preview)

- If possible, please help provide your representative work preview, or photos, which can be reference of what technic you may use on this project by 4/25.

- Please provide 1~2 concept proposal(free hand sketch is acceptable), and material/modding reference(recommaned) by 4/27.

- Due to the system check is required before the Computex, please help have the final work arrive ASUS HQ on 5/25.

• Hardware support: Due to the short project lead time, please let us know soon, either you prefer local buy the selected device and send us the receipt;

or We can send you the device by express from our HQ next week?

Please feel free to let us know if any information you need. More project detail will be provided to you, after accepting our project.
as you can see, that is the reason why this build has no dedicated GPU on it. The goal is for display purposes not for benchmark or performance demo. But after they use this and send it back to me. I'll mod it and attach a dedicated gpu for it.

so the designing process starts here

this design took me 1 day to create a sketch. But it took me 1 week to finish the actual design of the details and measurements.

Now how I made it possible?

I have to wait for the actual parts to arrive before I was able to make the actual measurements for the case.

The first thing to arrive was the Motherboard w/CPU

So I started with the cover for the motherboard.

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 03:23.
paultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2012, 05:58   #2
paultan
R E V E N T O N

paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.paultan is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
PSU & Cooler Arrived

Now that the the PSU Corsair TX850M and Corsair H100 arrived. I continued the measurement once again.

here, I started making the base for the case.

and anotrher package came in from Asus

Oh I really love this Fans from Corsair!

really perfect for the theme!

Thanks Corsair!!!

Last edited by paultan; 20th Oct 2012 at 08:04.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:03   #3
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Corsair H100

Now for the Initial modding for Corsair H100

Last edited by paultan; 20th Oct 2012 at 08:05.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:06   #4
paultan
R E V E N T O N

The Aluminums

For this project I went to use the Aluminums, so that the case will be lighter.

So after finishing all the measurements and design, I went to the waterjet machine to have it process.

I used a 1mm sheet for the entire case, 6mm for the holder of the H100 Radiator and 15mm for the sides.

Last edited by paultan; 20th Oct 2012 at 08:05.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:12   #5
paultan
R E V E N T O N

the piler and sanding

Now for the tiring part Used a piler and then sanded everything else. Wow! Whole day!
I can't imagine how Atilla can do everything and make it look so easy. hehe THank Atilla for the inspiration!

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:25.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:18   #6
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Initial Assembly and test fitting

Now let's assemble the base for the Radiator holder

then test fit eh Radiator Shroud

and the new cover for H100

Last edited by paultan; 20th Oct 2012 at 08:07.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:27   #7
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Bending

Now let's bend this baby!

the most difficult part

tsk tsk.... not straight

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:28.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:50   #8
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Mounting SSD

Now let's mount this baby!

nice!

But there's a problem, I can't close the base because the holder is blocking it. So let's do some modding.

LOL

now it's closing again

no sleep!

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:29.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 06:57   #9
paultan
R E V E N T O N

sanding again and painting

So before we paint this one. let's sand it again to make everything flat as muc as possible

ready for painting the base color

painted the Corsair SP120 Rings

[IMG]htthttp://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/547794_10150848838763424_2069584618_n.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:32.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:15   #10
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Texturizing

Now let's put some details on this case!

then the actual paint

and the other parts...

up to 1hr before I finish mounting this sticker on the cover. wow!

Last edited by paultan; 20th Oct 2012 at 09:11.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:24   #11
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Detailing

Now for the accent colors. Yellow Orange!

with lights

sorry for the crappy camera phone

not alighned labels.

power buttoin, thanks to my friend Kharr!!

Finaly look of the H100

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:33.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:30   #12
paultan
R E V E N T O N

problem!

Now here's the part where I'm 1 day late and some big problem comes out

no time to repaint, no time to let it dry for 2 days. no time at all!!! COMPUTEX is coming and I have to send it 5 days ahead. waahhh!!!!!

I was force to repaint everything and remove all the stickers.

After 2 days straight without sleep, I manage to make some changes for the cover. added some details to make it nice and also changed the name.

From The Ultimate Force I changed it to TUF ARMORSUIT Z77

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 12:38.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:37   #13
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Final Assembly, photoshoot and shipping

Now it's final assembly of the case. Took me 2hrs to completely assemble the case.

I need to make sure that no one can easily diss-assemble this case and need to secure the parts since it's a open case. They can easily remove parts. That's why I made a proper sequence to remove parts properly without damaging the case.

added some LED lights

I hate the OO parts

after my official and quick photoshoot. DHL came and I have to pack the unit ASAP. Grrrr!

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 14:59.
Old 11th Jun 2012, 07:54   #14
paultan
R E V E N T O N

COMPUTEX 2012

Here are some photos from other sites

COMPUTEX 2012 ASUS BOOTH

Old 12th Jun 2012, 06:20   #15
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
wow great design, (Kinda looks like a tank that could use a barrel!)
hehe. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
Tron tank, awesome build!!!!
WOw you're right, how come I didn't realize that. hehe thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Carlo View Post
Wicked!! Looks awesome...
thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batiatus View Post
Nicely done Paul... well thought out, I couldn't imagine building this given the short amount of time and yet you have managed to finish it and came out great.
Thank you sir. The pleasure is always mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain-s View Post
Nice awesome design and details Paultan. If U made something to support the PCI cards. Then U could produce it as a TUF bench made my ASUS

Now continue the work on your Cosmos II
Yup! I will start asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
Excellent work. You've given me some ideas to use with my own Z77. We all would like to see some progress on your Cosmos II, please.

(No sense in not being polite about it.)
Go! don't forget to show me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Nothing left to say, this is more than awesome man!!! Great job!
thanks Ang3l!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0zes View Post
I'm left a little disappointed unfortunately; disappointed that none of the sites I was checking out computex updates on featured this absolutely brilliant piece of work. Lian-li have goodness knows how many resources and the best they can come up with is a 'train case' that looks more like a tissue box cover and it gets air time. All while this ingenious build doesn't catch a mention, very disappointing indeed.

Paul this is a brilliant piece of work that you’ve executed, the overall design and attention to detail captures the essence of the sabertooth series without relying on the typical military cliques that are so often used. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
Hehe with all honesty, about what you've said, I really wish it happened. But at the same time, I always need to remind myself that not everything always goes according to what we want/expected. But still, I'm very happy about your positive responses. I'm very much glad.
Old 17th Jun 2012, 20:56   #16
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerIDGoesHere View Post
Amazing work Paul, very professional and time efficient! This is a very inspiring case build and I'm aurprised it didn't get more popularity at computex! I'll be starting up a project log soon and hopefully it will look as professional as yours, we will see though.

Very well done!
- Dan
Hehe. THanks! It's ok with me if it doesn't get the special attention from the Computex. What matters to me, that I delivered this to Asus just in time and they were very pleased and of course you guys were pleased aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
rawr :O

That is all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
Really awesome how you designed and even created it WITHIN 2 WEEKS!
Hat's off to you!
Thanks Peter! Really appreciate it,you visiting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
^^ What L3p said!

I thought I had no life, but this is just insane! In a good way!

I just wish the plaque would have mentioned that you only had 2 weeks to do it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckulz View Post
Insane.

Love it
Nice work man, very original thinking
Thanks! Glad I finished it on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerIDGoesHere View Post
Also, congrats on getting l3p's support on this! And doing this in 2 weeks was a massive feat!

Really, really well done!
- Dan
Thanks! no sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Awesome stuff Paul, wanted to see you do a scratch build for some time & then you go & do one in a week & not just an average one but a flipping awesome one nice to see all your skills come together in such a fast time, I am highly impressed.

Fantastic modding mate & such a different look, looks like some kind of tank.

Wow

stars & rep
Thanks mate! Glad you like this project of mine. If only I had more time I guess I made it a little more fine tuned. No time to test that baby. After assembly and installation of windows I packed it for shipment.
Old 17th Jun 2012, 22:01   #17
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
What happens with it after Computex? Will you get it back or does Asus get to keep it?
They will give it back to me. And they sent me a gift.
Old 20th Jun 2012, 15:04   #18
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayinBlack View Post
What did they send, perchance?

Hopefully my metal comes in today for me to start working on mine, though I still have to wait until I can figure out how to mask my heart monitor while working. When I start, of course I'll show what I'm working on.
It's something big, aluminum and the most powerful at this moment.

sure thing show it to me when you're ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
Unbeleivable! This is where modding becomes an artform
Thanks! I always trty to make every project a form of art.
That's why I only had 4 finished project and 1 is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post
Omfg two weeks to make this?! Awesome! got to be a mod of the month contender or perhaps mod of the year!
MOTY? thanks. But this one got no chance to be on the top, i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
ASUS can only pray that you don't work for competition. XD
You have done great job.
Hehe. you mean work for their competitors?
Old 20th Jun 2012, 18:33   #19
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
I'd rather see one you can take your time on to get every last drop of awesomeness into it having said that though, you say you get this project back so you could treat it like a base for a new case mod where you can spend a better time on it, awesome future project.
Thanks Waynio, I hope it gets back in time. But I'm afraid it will take longer than I expected, before it gets back here.
Old 26th Aug 2012, 20:51   #20
paultan
R E V E N T O N

Done Fixing it after some damages it went tru. Now it's ready to be ship to NEWYORK.

Last edited by paultan; 1st Jan 2013 at 15:04.

Tags
armorsuit z77, asus, computex 2012, paultan, sabertooth

View Mode