bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 13th Jun 2012, 07:36   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Nvidia GeForce GTX 690 4GB Review

Better late than never, we check out Nvidia's dual GPU monster sporting two GTX 680 GPUs on one PCB.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...0-4gb-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 07:48   #2
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
First graph of Skyrim you've highlighted the 670 rather than 690, and not highlighted the 690 on the 2nd heat graph

Regardless, looks like a monster of a card, sure the price is obscene, but so is the performance!
Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:51   #3
Dave Lister
Hypermodder

Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dave Lister is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Given that it is so much overkill for any game and the fact microsoft will probably introduce direct x 12 with windows 8. This just seems a complete waste of money only existing so nvidia can brag about having the fastest cards and so a few (very few) people have a willy waving GPU.
Don't misunderstand me. I do like a fast system. But surely putting in a fast GPU is also done for a bit of future proofing and if DX11 is about to become obsolete then the card seems more like a gimmick.
Main Rig:Case: BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard: MSI Z97I Gaming, CPU: Intel i7 4790K, RAM: 16Gb 2400Mhz Kingston HyperX Beast GPU: XFX ATI 5870, Primary HDD: 256Gb Samsung 850 Pro, Games Drive: 1Tb Toshiba SSHD, Cooler: Corsair H105, OS: Win 7 - 64
HTPC:Case: Gutted out VCR, Motherboard: Asus AT5IONT-I, CPU: Intel Atom D525 @ 1.94Ghz, RAM: 4Gb 1333Mhz Kingston GPU: Nvidia Ion 2, Primary HDD: Hitachi 500Gb, Optical Drive: NEC ND-6500A Laptop Drive, OS: Win 8.1 32
Dave Lister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 08:54   #4
johnnyboy700
Ultramodder

johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.johnnyboy700 is definitely a rep cheat.
I wonder how many of these cards they reckon will sell?

If I had 880 spare I doubt I'd spend it on a graphics card, probably because I've never been a fan of dual GPU cards or SLI/Crossfire due to driver problems. Perhaps the issues have been exaggerated but I'd hate to lash out that kind of cash and find I can only get the benifits from a limited number of games.

Still amazing numbers, both performance wise and cost.
johnnyboy700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:02   #5
m0ngy
Banned

m0ngy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm amazed Bit-tech even bothers to do a review of a product released more than a month ago. Alternatively, why is your review a month late?

Also, why does my browser get spammed with endless pop-ups and super annoying full-screen questionnaires whenever I visit your website? It's like trying to navigate though malware, no other tech site I've seen subjects their users to anything remotely like the vulgar and intrusive advertising techniques deployed here at bit-tech. With any credibility the site once had a quickly fading memory, I wonder what's next, before your publisher finally pulls the plug.
m0ngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:06   #6
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@Dave Lister: I do not think DX12 will be included in Windows 8, in fact they will include DX11. And if you Google you can't find anything about dx12 (Except on some fake download sites). Seems to me DX12 is not even developed otherwise Microsoft would probably already bragged about it.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:07   #7
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
880£ ! I got my complete system for like 800£....
Is it worth benchmarking such a card at 1920x1080? I doubt someone buying this card would be gaming at those resolutions..
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:10   #8
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
I'm amazed Bit-tech even bothers to do a review of a product released more than a month ago. Alternatively, why is your review a month late?

Also, why does my browser get spammed with endless pop-ups and super annoying full-screen questionnaires whenever I visit your website? It's like trying to navigate though malware, no other tech site I've seen subjects their users to anything remotely like the vulgar and intrusive advertising techniques deployed here at bit-tech. With any credibility the site once had a quickly fading memory, I wonder what's next, before your publisher finally pulls the plug.
Check ur system before ranting about Bit-tech...There are no pop ups /spam on my end
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:12   #9
CrazyJoe
Ultramodder

CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CrazyJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakzzz View Post
Check ur system before ranting about Bit-tech...There are no pop ups /spam on my end
Maybe you've got an ad blocker then.
CrazyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:29   #10
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The two things that amaze me most of all are:

1) Some people will actually buy this card, and;
2) In a few years time these will be 100 on eBay.

Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:35   #11
KiNETiK
Multimodder

KiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKiNETiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post

In a few years time these will be 100 on eBay.

Welcome to the world of technology
KiNETiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 09:38   #12
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNETiK View Post
Where only Apple products hold their value, because people are too stupid to realise that outdated tech wrapped in shiny plastic is still outdated tech.

Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:26   #13
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNETiK View Post
Where only Apple products hold their value, because people are too stupid to realise that outdated tech wrapped in shiny plastic is still outdated tech.

Yes because if there is something Apple is known for, then its shiny plastic.....
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:30   #14
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
I would have liked to have seen comparisons against stock 680's in SLI (which can be had for 60 less) and 4GB 680's in SLI. Also why no overclocking? I know every card is different, but you could at least see what is possible.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:31   #15
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheiken View Post
Yes because if there is something Apple is known for, then its shiny plastic.....
And nice screens, I'll give 'em that

Actually, to be fair to Apple whilst I am not part of their demographic I respect their style and products and I can see why people are happy to part with their cash. I'm just all about bigger and better.

Sorry for the derail, back to the 690... it's a massively desirable product, but no more so than a couple of 680 4GB cards.
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:32   #16
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.The_Crapman is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheiken View Post
I HATE the current obsession with everything being plastered in shiney plastic. especially piano 'fingerprint' black.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 10:35   #17
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
I HATE the current obsession with everything being plastered in shiney plastic. especially piano 'fingerprint' black.
We're looking specifically at you, Razer Black Widow.
Old 13th Jun 2012, 11:07   #18
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Nvidia claimed the GTX 690 would deliver the performance of two GTX 680s and, for once, a manufacturer's boasts weren't entirely made of hot air.
Did I miss the bit in the benchmarks where it was tested alongside SLI 680's?
Old 13th Jun 2012, 11:20   #19
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
What I would be interested to know is what the thermals are like in a case with fans blowing at the internal end of the card - etc the Silverstone Fortress, Raven etc - i.e. fans blowing directly against one of the exhausts.
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2012, 11:30   #20
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
So, just how does $1100 translate into 900.

I'd like to know what exchange rate they're using, because it's not one based on this planet.

UK consumers expected to pay more than a 30% pure profit markup.

Bunch of rip off W@#@*%S.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote