1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WANTED: full time-ish freelance hardware reviewer/tea maker

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 13 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

We're on the lookout for someone. We're after a new hardware reviewer, to work all but full time on Bit-Tech to help us with hardware reviews and uploading work. There will also be some work on Micro Mart magazine involved. It will be a freelance position, but it will be an exceptionally busy one, with lots of work involved.

It's an entry-level role, so it won't make anyone rich, but it will pay cash in exchange for writing about technology and bodging things with a screwdriver. We are to train you in things that you don't know, but you need to have passion for hardware, and an ability to write entertaining and informative copy.

It's flexible: there will be some need to be in London on some days, but we're okay with you working lots of days at home in your pants.

If you're interested, send us a CV, covering letter, 500 word hardware review of a piece of kit you own (in the Bit-Tech style), to harry.butler@bit-tech.net and bittechcontent@gmail.com. Also, give us an idea of how many hours a week you'd be available for (if it's just a day or two, this probably isn't the right position for you).

Thank you.

2. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Wish I could even begin to write an article which could even get me a chance of doing this. Will have to sit down and think about what i want to say and then send my deets over.

Good luck to everyone who applies.

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

If you have any questions, please get in touch with myself or Simon via email or PM!

The role would ideally suit a school or uni-leaver looking for a start in the tech journalism world. As you'll be working from home often though, self motivation is very important, although myself and the rest of the bit-staff will be on hand to offer guidance and experience (and to make sure you don't blow too much gear up).

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Well, being an unemployed Engineer who has lots of free time on his hands does help. I have no Uni Quals or any previous journalism experience. Currently try to write a review that most likely not live up to your high standards. But it can't hurt to try.

I am writing a review comparing my Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD to my Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm Sata 3 HDD.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  5. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

I'm definitely interested in this, but I have no real *recent* hardware experience, being an Apple user for the past few years, but I still retain an interest in the hardware world, so I can compare my most recent Apple purchases, but if you want something PC specific, the most recent PC i owned was a Athlon 64 x2 3500.... so it'd be well old.

6. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

For test articles, try not to do a 1-1 comparison or get hung up on performance; we want to see your writing style and ability to be critical; just write a review of a product you own. A case, motherboard etc are ideal. Your latest Apple purchase would be fine too, although we'd expect a certain degree of technical knowledge about the PC hardware market as it is now.

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Thank you for the advice, a rewrite is in order I guess.

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm interested, can US members apply? :)

9. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Can you get to London every now and then?

10. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I would love to do this. It incorporates my interest in hardware & tech, and it sits strongly at home with my skills and experience being communications in the technology sector.

Occasional or even regular trips to london would be a breeze but the single nail in the coffin for me is the requirement for someone full time.

I would certainly have to be a brave man to leave my career to entertain such whimsical pursuits as technology journalism.....wouldnt I? ;)

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I have a question, as tea-maker is included... I guess this is 'in-house' rather than a 'work-from-home' position, so where are you based? As I live in East London.

12. brumgrunt

It's mainly working from home, but you'd need to get to West London fairly regularly, too, to use the labs facilities.

S

13. SchizoFrog

That makes sense and in a way answers my real question about testing something for a review. For example it would be hard to review a new case without actually using it for a build, but then we would need hardware to use to build a system.

What is the closing date for us get our articles to you?

14. brumgrunt

Looking to do the first round of shortlisting at the end of this week/Monday.

S

15. SchizoFrog

Cool... I shall have think about the item I'll review and get it sent to you over the weekend.

Good luck to anyone else who is going for this...

16. SchizoFrog

Ahhh... Just thought of a question.
    When you say you are looking at the style of writing within our review, are you looking for a reviewer who has a similar style to existing reviews or are you looking for something different to contrast?
    I ask this as I would hate to head in the wrong direction purely because I didn't ask for directions.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Sounds interesting, I am freelancing at the moment....

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I think it should be in Bit Tech style :p

19. SchizoFrog

D'oh... My bad.

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm afraid my writing style would be too short and blunt.

this case is good at cooling, but **** in every other way, the end.