bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:28   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Torvalds slams Nvidia's Linux support

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...slams-nvidia/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:38   #2
Morrius
Minimodder

Morrius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I doubt they'll be any more likely to help now.
Morrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:40   #3
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
Not like they could be any less help.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:45   #4
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I can see why Linux isn't their main focus, its hardly a big target market, and I probably wouldn't want to work with that guy either :/
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:47   #5
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Yeah, because AMD drivers are fantastic for Linux.
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:49   #6
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yeah how DARE nVidia pick what they want to support themselves? The barefaced cheek! And that olive branch Linus is holding out will he- hang on, that's no olive branch!
Old 18th Jun 2012, 11:59   #7
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So when NVIDIA uses Linux for Tegra, it is OK. But when Linus (and Linux community) asks a little bit of something in return, then Linus is the bad guy when he is disappointed that even after years, major features are still not supported.

And Phalanx - NVIDIA drivers do exists for Linux, the issue is that major features are left out making it a uncompetitive option. Not because Linux doesn't support such features, but because NVIDIA decided not to include that feature in their drivers.
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:01   #8
kylew
Multimodder

kylew has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's starting to become more and more apparent that companies don't like working with nVidia because their support is awful, and they as a company are awful. Completely goes against the legions of people who have this weird love affair for nVidia and constantly go on about how great and "amazing" they are.
kylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:04   #9
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Nvidia as a company have generally terrible PR and constantly make terrible decisions with patenting etc

Fortunately what they sell for the most part works really well. So I couldn't care less
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:07   #10
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
So when NVIDIA uses Linux for Tegra, it is OK. But when Linus (and Linux community) asks a little bit of something in return, then Linus is the bad guy when he is disappointed that even after years, major features are still not supported.

And Phalanx - NVIDIA drivers do exists for Linux, the issue is that major features are left out making it a uncompetitive option. Not because Linux doesn't support such features, but because NVIDIA decided not to include that feature in their drivers.
Just because a company doesn't decide to focus on a particular option, doesn't mean supposed figureheads can act like pricks by sticking their middle finger up in a public display. That's not how it's done.

And as for the linux drivers, I understand they are there and certain parts are missing, but perhaps nVidia have more pressing matters at hand at the moment.
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:10   #11
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Just because a company doesn't decide to focus on a particular option, doesn't mean supposed figureheads can act like pricks by sticking their middle finger up in a public display. That's not how it's done.
Figurehead is not a CEO . CEO can't act like that, but he is not one of them.
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:15   #12
Phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Figurehead is not a CEO . CEO can't act like that, but he is not one of them.
I wasn't pulling in whether he was a business or not, but if *I* was the nVidia CEO I'd tell him where to stuff his Linux support, figurehead or not.
Old 18th Jun 2012, 12:42   #13
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
What's Linux?
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 14:03   #14
Fujukami
Minimodder

Fujukami has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Who cares either way? Linux-based OS systems are a small target demographic. Optimise the bugs for the majority of the users, and when you have the time to iron out the problems on other platforms (add features and so on).

As for the middle finger, I'd say its to draw attention on himself more than to actually convey any message.
Fujukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 14:18   #15
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And you forget to mention the response of a Nvidia developer somewhere around 1.00.30 into the video. Where this guy thanked Linus for "giving him the finger". And then saying he and other Nvidia programmers are working on a big opensource project.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 14:21   #16
Morrius
Minimodder

Morrius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Damn, I was really looking forward to installing Linux on my toaster and playing Max Payne 3 on it!
Morrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 14:24   #17
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.

Would have thought he'd relish the challenge...
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 15:59   #18
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
What's Linux?
This pretty much sums it up, I would much rather have better SLI support or surround support than Optimus for Linux.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 18:43   #19
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
"I like being outrageous at times. I guarantee you, if you make that video available on the internet there will be thousands of people who are really upset and offended. I like offending people because I think people who get offended should be offended."

I think he was correct.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2012, 19:10   #20
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You guys completely missed the point...

What's Linux? See that droid you are using? That's built on linux.

Would be interesting to get his views on Nvidia rival Imagination Tech.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote