bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jun 2012, 10:56   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
AMD launches G-T16R embedded APU

AMD has launched the G-T16R embedded APU, a 4.5W part designed to replace the ageing Geode.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar.../amd-g-t16-r/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 13:08   #2
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
If someone did put this on a Rpi a like and gave it 2 gig nic's it would be an awesome base for a pfsense box.
Alas that will never happen.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 15:26   #3
b1candy
What's a Dremel?

b1candy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Chip has less power because it's not a SoC. So what's the chipset power draw, eh?
b1candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2012, 16:18   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy
Chip has less power because it's not a SoC. So what's the chipset power draw, eh?
hmm good point. i'd also like to know how it performs in comparison.
Old 25th Jun 2012, 16:36   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1candy View Post
Eermmm... The Geode isn't an SoC either, which is what AMD is comparing it to...
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2012, 06:38   #6
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Boioioioing. Do want.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2012, 08:59   #7
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Will have to do an awful lot to beat or equal the Pi - like getting a complete SBC out for $35. I doubt the chip will even be that cheap.

To be honest, I think it will take an awful lot to beat the Pi's achievements. Even if a manufacturer somehow manages to get their price down to the same sort of level, they'll have to do a lot of work on the software side to equal the amount of developer attention on the Pi; the foundation themselves might not be able to put out vast amounts of code, but the developers for the Pi are legion.

Comparisons with the Pi aside, it still looks like an impressive achievement. I looked into Geode-based SBCs a while back, but the boards were really expensive. It's good to have the option of an x86-based embedded SBC out there.
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jun 2012, 09:06   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC View Post
Will have to do an awful lot to beat or equal the Pi - like getting a complete SBC out for $35. I doubt the chip will even be that cheap.
Yes and no. I mean, the Pi is unlikely to be beaten on price any time soon - unless someone chooses an even older SoC, or a company takes a major loss somewhere in the chain - but I think people would be willing to pay a premium for x86 support. The ARMv6 instruction set of the current-generation Pi limits it quite a lot: it cuts the number of operating systems available down a great deal, and the effect on the client software is even more pronounced. A Cortex-based version would help, but an x86 equivalent with support for any Linux/BSD/whatever release as well as Windows and a graphics unit with ready-built drivers for 2D and 3D acceleration? Price it anywhere below $100 and it'd sell like hotcakes.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 12:02   #9
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm going to be a pedant and object to your use of "mm squared" - either use the superscript (mm2) or use "square millimetres". 890mm squared describes a square with sides of 890mm, i.e. 890mm x 890mm or 792,100mm2, which would be a mighty big chunk of silicon.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 12:41   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
I'm going to be a pedant and object to your use of "mm squared" - either use the superscript (mm2) or use "square millimetres". 890mm squared describes a square with sides of 890mm, i.e. 890mm x 890mm or 792,100mm2, which would be a mighty big chunk of silicon.
And I'm going to be a pedant and point out that the measurements were copied and pasted directly from AMD's press release. If it's good enough for AMD... (But yes, you're right - it should really be square millimetres, not millimetres squared.)

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 26th Jun 2012 at 12:46.
Old 26th Jun 2012, 12:50   #11
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
And I'm going to be a pedant and point out that the measurements were copied and pasted directly from AMD's press release. If it's good enough for AMD...
If it's good enough for AMD...it's still wrong :-D

Maybe AMD has had to cutback on the people who sense check their press releases, because that's a pretty basic, if minor, error. Yes you can divine the meaning with a bit of common sense, but that doesn't really make it ok. If a news report said that an area 100 miles square had been affected by, say, flooding or forest fires, that a massively bigger problem than an area of 100 square miles.