1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Seagate joins forces with DensBits for SSDs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 26 Jun 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Jeeeeze, if you work for a company who's main business is storage and your CEO is saying 'SSDs will never take off' then you should be jumping ship.

Baz likes this.
  3. silky

silky What's a Dremel?

Well I suppose it could be like betamax or whatever, stuff that was technically better but just never cought on for various reasons.

But with SSD I think they will be just like what happened with TFT and CRT monitors. When those flat screens started showing up, the CRT monitors were FAR better. So much better colour reproduction, better frame rates, lower pixel density, no ghosting etc.. they were just better at everything really, apart from the fact that they were fat. When flat screen monitors started taking over it seemed strange and made a lot of people wonder whether the world had backed the wrong technology. But now it seems it was a good move. Screens are becoming far bigger than CRT's could have ever become, and pixel density, resolution, refresh rate etc.. its all getting better too. They have probably totally surpassed CRT's at this point, and have a far better future.

I think SSD's will be the same. I think they will start becoming the norm in computers, and people will wonder if it makes sense because mechanical disks are 3 times bigger or whatever. But within a few years, SSD's will end up being just as big, but so much faster, cooler, quieter, and eventually cheaper. And then some day in the future when we are using 50 terrabyte SSD's we will realise mechanical disks never stood a chance.

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I assume the flooding and rise in HDD prices have also contributed.

It's just no longer to get HDD prices for what they were, and as such people are willing to pay a bit extra for an SSD even if it has less capacity.

Tags: Add Tags