bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jun 2012, 08:22   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
OCZ Vertex 4 256GB Review

With a second generation Everest controller, can the Vertex 4 rise above the rest?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...256gb-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 10:20   #2
Kingsley813
Minimodder

Kingsley813 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Given the analysis, would this SSD be good for use as a scratch disk? I currently have a Samsung 830 256GB for Windows, but looking for buy another for my CAD and 3D rendering temp files.
Kingsley813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 10:21   #3
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Unless you need a new drive ASAP I would sit on it for a while and see if there are any problems. Last years batch of SSD's seemed to all have problems related to the controller. My vertex 3 gave me the BSOD many many times before a firmware update fixed it.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 10:59   #4
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Not worth the extra for me. I'll be picking up a 256gb 830 this weekend!
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:07   #5
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@runadumb - Samsung and Crucial seem to have good reports - I thought the problems (& BSODs) were mainly to do with Sandforce SSDs?
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:22   #6
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
A little late with the report here...

Any chance of an old F/W vs the new? The reads and writes on the lower file sizes according to ASSSD sees the drives performance drop like a stone... just wondering what your thoughts are on this as to me it looks like in some cases it may actually be better to have an old F/W, which of these cases however is unknown so some insight would make for good reading.
andrew8200m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:25   #7
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it will be interesting to see how there own controller behaves rather than buying in a marvell one - unless thats how they are moving onwards?
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:26   #8
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Suggestion: In the graphs you could have added with a different color, the performance of a Sandforce based unit (say, Vertex3) with compressible data. It would have given a more accurate view of their performance delta in other scenarios than what you tested them for: artificially created data guaranteed not to compress.
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:43   #9
Valinor
Multimodder

Valinor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken76
Suggestion: In the graphs you could have added with a different color, the performance of a Sandforce based unit (say, Vertex3) with compressible data. It would have given a more accurate view of their performance delta in other scenarios than what you tested them for: artificially created data guaranteed not to compress.
They said in the article that they removed the compressible data test because it wasn't representative of what the drive will be used for; adding in information on how compressible data is handled would kinda defeat the point of this.
Valinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 11:44   #10
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw View Post
@runadumb - Samsung and Crucial seem to have good reports - I thought the problems (& BSODs) were mainly to do with Sandforce SSDs?
I thought this too but think it might not be as simple as that & to do with controllers on motherboards also but clearly was a problem with that generation of sandforce mostly.

I'm glad they dropped sandforce, those drives shouldn't have made it to retail IMHO, the corsair force3 was a waste of money for me & with it not getting sorted for me I'll not use it again, an OS drive causing BSOD at completely random times, no thanks, I downgraded to a ocz vertex 2e & had no problems at all since but want to go for a speedy but reliable drive like the samsung 830s or these, samsung is cheaper so they win & these ones have yet to prove themselves also.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 12:52   #11
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
The 256GB Samsung 830 is available for 143 quid, why would anyone go for the Vertex 4 at 200?
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 13:43   #12
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
The 256GB Samsung 830 is available for 143 quid, why would anyone go for the Vertex 4 at 200?
Because its faster. And it will probably drop in price soon anyway.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 14:01   #13
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
the question is - is the speed increase (which is only minor at times) worth the extra 60.....
Old 27th Jun 2012, 15:00   #14
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I'll keep my Vertex 3s thanks.
Old 27th Jun 2012, 16:28   #15
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
the question is - is the speed increase (which is only minor at times) worth the extra £60.....
That is often the question when buying things like an i7 over an i5 or a 4gb gtx 680 over a 2gb 680. The more you pay, the faster it is (usually )
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 16:36   #16
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

nah an i7 isnt worth it over an i5 for gaming and neither is a 4gb gtx 680 (its slower actually - ram latency at all eyefinity resolutions) and really having used most ssd`s in the list , tbh - the `speed` increase of a heartbeat or 2 isnt worth 60
Old 27th Jun 2012, 17:00   #17
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The latency would lose you barely anything by the way. 2GB is stretchy for 1080 let alone eyefinity. Bit OT but ho-hum lol.
Old 27th Jun 2012, 17:10   #18
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

well tpu / andand / hexus and here have all proven that the limiting factor at say 5760x1080 is bandwidth not the amount of ram - and the frame rates are near identical on both 2gb and 4gb cards.

sorry going off topic

Last edited by Harlequin; 27th Jun 2012 at 17:16.
Harlequin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jun 2012, 17:20   #19
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

LOL. Proven is a strong word. Framerate doesn't always constitute overall performance, BF3 at that resolution on a reference 680 is laughable.

Just no way, been there and tried it.

Anyway still off topic - another day
Old 28th Jun 2012, 11:56   #20
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
well tpu / andand / hexus and here have all proven that the limiting factor at say 5760x1080 is bandwidth not the amount of ram - and the frame rates are near identical on both 2gb and 4gb cards.

sorry going off topic
Not this. Again.

GTX 680 4GB? No difference. Now don't make me come back there!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote