bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Jun 2012, 21:23   #1
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
FOX | RedManc

It's about time I shared what I have been up to, as well as what I am planning.

So this is my new project : FOX, it's a m-itx based htpc & surfer.

I need a small computer when I move house next year as my bedroom
will not be big enough for my gaming rig & all that comes with it (the mess).

If you can't tell already the case is a redesignated full face mountain bike
helmet which was frankly too heavy for the casual mountain biking I do.

So far I have removed all the cushioning and peaked visor, sanded
the helmet internally and externally to prepare it for a little painting.

My next step is to create a window which will cover the opening of the helmet
(its not a case yet), to do this you can see in these pictures that I have created
a compartment inside the helmet covered in clingfilm, im filling
this with expanding foam in order to create a male mould over
which I plan to vacuum form an acrylic window.

Oh yes I will need to build myself a vacuum forming machine first!

There is only two people who know for sure the colour scheme so we'll keep
that a secret for now and let this build progress one step at a time.

There is no rush, no cutting corners ... dare I say; No Compromise!

Old 29th Jun 2012, 13:42   #2
ozzylow
Multimodder

ozzylow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice idea, like seeing something a bit different. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
ozzylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 13:54   #3
vrrox
Modder

vrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvrrox is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Very interesting idea! Subscribed
vrrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 19:33   #4
RedManc
Supermodder

RedManc has yet to learn the way of the DremelRedManc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Old 22nd Jul 2012, 20:27   #5
kelmannen
Supermodder

kelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkelmannen has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
talk about cancer! looks really grose! o.O'

Hopes that i someday completes my first scratchbuild...
kelmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 20:44   #6
Mr.Evil
Minimodder

Mr.Evil has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Subscribed!
Mr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2012, 21:00   #7
RedManc
Supermodder

You've seen the pictures now a little progress report.

I've already tested the foam in an industrial vacuum sealing machine and it doesn't crush under the pressure
so my little shop vac will have no chance of destroying the model. This was my first concern.

My second concern was that there would be big air pockets in the foam where I hadn't applied foam evenly,
as you can see they are there! The plan is to now use this foam as a base for a putty/modelling clay window mold.
Old 29th Jul 2012, 22:19   #8
RedManc
Supermodder

Vacuum Forming Machine

Old 30th Jul 2012, 17:06   #9
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like the direction this is going
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2012, 21:42   #10
jon
Multimodder

jon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unique. Subbed!
Old 31st Jul 2012, 05:52   #11
coolamasta
Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks Very Interesting

My Main Rigs:~ H2O'd i7 3770K @ 4.5 - 16GB - H2O'd GTX 670 | Asus Z9PE-W8, EP-Xeon 2670 @ 3.2 - 16GB
| ~~~ My Current Dual EP-Xeon 2670 Project ~~~ | ~~~ My Mitsubishi Evo Track Car Project ~~~ |
coolamasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 20:38   #12
RedManc
Supermodder

So Many Holes!!
Old 6th Aug 2012, 21:08   #13
hoochy
Need moar cooling

hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Now this idea I really like. Is there much cooling required for a HTPC? Would be cool to use the existing helmet vents for some fans or similar.

I can imagine a nice mesh to the front mouth void with a nice LED or similar behind.

Keep up the awesome work, I look forward to seeing updates.
Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair H60 Liquid | MSI 4GB R290 Twin Frozr | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 500GB Seagate | 2 x 128GB Kingston v200 SSD | 2 x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair 650W | K60 w/ Reds | Razer Naga
hoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 21:21   #14
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolamasta View Post
Looks Very Interesting
Agreed, will be keeping an eye on this one
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 20:34   #15
RedManc
Supermodder

Thank you for showing interest guys and girls, its nice to know people are watching !

@ hoochy there shouldn't be too much cooling required as it will not be overclocked or anything, I did keep the original mesh from the helment safe, so safe I do not know where it is now but ill be putting some form of filters on the existing holes. But right now its all a work in progress im attacking it one job at a time

Old 17th Aug 2012, 00:01   #16
Wissel
Minimodder

Wissel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting build, looking forward to the updates
Wissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2012, 06:55   #17
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
awesome project! love the vacuum machine
Ace_finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 18:39   #18
RedManc
Supermodder

Old 23rd Aug 2012, 19:08   #19
RedManc
Supermodder

Old 13th Sep 2012, 19:08   #20
hoochy
Need moar cooling

hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
When's the next update planned for? I was really looking forward to seeing this one progress - moar updates plox.
Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair H60 Liquid | MSI 4GB R290 Twin Frozr | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 500GB Seagate | 2 x 128GB Kingston v200 SSD | 2 x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair 650W | K60 w/ Reds | Razer Naga
hoochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expanding foam, htpc, mitx, vacuum forming

View Mode