bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Jun 2012, 12:57   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Axiotron's ModBook rises from the grave

Axiotron's ModBook tablet has been reborn as the ModBook Pro, thanks to co-founder Andreas Haas.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar.../modbook-pro/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 13:45   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The Wacom-tablet with pressure-sensitive pen is so much better then your finger-tip when painting, but I guess that this remodeling of the device would cost so much, that you could easily get a Wacom Cintiq 12WX in addition to your normal MacBooc Pro 13".

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 17:14   #3
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks cool but is probably very heavy and expensive :/
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 20:40   #4
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well apart from OSX and the DVD drive - this is what I'd want in a tablet.
Old 29th Jun 2012, 20:53   #5
moshpit
Modder

moshpit has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Okay, wait.... Core i7 DUAL CORE??? Ummmmm.... no. No such beast. Time for a source check.
Old 29th Jun 2012, 21:21   #6
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There's a lot of dual cores for the mobile sector.
Old 29th Jun 2012, 21:23   #7
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Okay, wait.... Core i7 DUAL CORE??? Ummmmm.... no. No such beast. Time for a source check.
I thought all but the high end mobile i7s were dual cores?

Edit: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=laptop

Source: Intel

Last edited by fdbh96; 29th Jun 2012 at 21:28.
Old 29th Jun 2012, 22:12   #8
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
As a lap mounted drawing tool I can see it being quite nice, but is it really worth the premium over a Cintiq 12WX?

OSX isn't built for pen input, and windows has never been great. Touch is getting better support in windows (if you use Metro) so maybe that's an option...

Oh but wait, the modbook doesn't have a touch interface, it's the wacom pen or nothing. There goes your multi-touch intuitiveness! Lost the pen? Oh dear.

And as to a keyboard? We can all moan about touch keyboards not having tactile feedback, but they're certainly a lot better than an onscreen keyboard you have to tap at with a pen.

I really don't see who they're aiming this at. Enterprise won't touch it as future support is too risky. Same goes with solutions suppliers, they'll pick an android + pen device if they need the pen input.

And for everyone else there's a million and one laptops & tablets to choose from.

I still want one of course... I just wouldn't ever pay for one.
Guinevere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jun 2012, 22:39   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Your confidence is impressive, but misplaced: behold Intel's Ark page for the Core i7-3520M, a dual-core processor chosen by Apple for its latest MacBook Pro models.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 04:09   #10
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
As a lap mounted drawing tool I can see it being quite nice, but is it really worth the premium over a Cintiq 12WX?

OSX isn't built for pen input, and windows has never been great. Touch is getting better support in windows (if you use Metro) so maybe that's an option...

Oh but wait, the modbook doesn't have a touch interface, it's the wacom pen or nothing. There goes your multi-touch intuitiveness! Lost the pen? Oh dear.

And as to a keyboard? We can all moan about touch keyboards not having tactile feedback, but they're certainly a lot better than an onscreen keyboard you have to tap at with a pen.

I really don't see who they're aiming this at. Enterprise won't touch it as future support is too risky. Same goes with solutions suppliers, they'll pick an android + pen device if they need the pen input.

And for everyone else there's a million and one laptops & tablets to choose from.

I still want one of course... I just wouldn't ever pay for one.
Wacom replacement pens are pretty cheap. They're probably aiming at the artist with a decent amount of money, needs to travel fairly often and doesn't want to bring a 12WX with them.

That's not exactly a small market segment when it comes to digital artists who use OSX.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 06:50   #11
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster
Wacom replacement pens are pretty cheap. They're probably aiming at the artist with a decent amount of money, needs to travel fairly often and doesn't want to bring a 12WX with them.

That's not exactly a small market segment when it comes to digital artists who use OSX.
So...digital artist, travel a lot, has a buttload of money, use OSX. Sounds like a pretty small segment to me :P Seriously, though, these things start (from Apple) at like $2K, right? I hope homie kept his day job, as I can't see him selling a whole lot of these.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 06:52   #12
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Also, how long before Apple sues over some ridiculous BS? That's what they seem to do these days. I'm sure he's "violating" some term, condition, patent, trademark, something. At the very least, Apple will sic their lawyers on him until there's nothing left of Modbook, Inc. All the press he's gotten the past couple days, I'll be surprised if there isn't word of a lawsuit some time next week.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 23:38   #13
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxtatic View Post
Also, how long before Apple sues over some ridiculous BS? That's what they seem to do these days. I'm sure he's "violating" some term, condition, patent, trademark, something. At the very least, Apple will sic their lawyers on him until there's nothing left of Modbook, Inc. All the press he's gotten the past couple days, I'll be surprised if there isn't word of a lawsuit some time next week.
Its like when someone made 3G capable macbook pros and Apple shut him down.
Old 1st Jul 2012, 13:44   #14
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96
Its like when someone made 3G capable macbook pros and Apple shut him down.
I'm pretty up to speed with Apple stories. When was this? You sure you're not getting the story mixed up with the 3G Macbook pro machine that ended up on ebay after Apple 'lost' it?
Old 1st Jul 2012, 13:55   #15
Guinevere
Mega Mom

[QUOTE=Tangster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Wacom replacement pens are pretty cheap. They're probably aiming at the artist with a decent amount of money, needs to travel fairly often and doesn't want to bring a 12WX with them. That's not exactly a small market segment when it comes to digital artists who use OSX.
No, no and thrice no.

The more I think about it, even for this segment it's complete fail.

The modbook hardware is underpowered, the screen too low resolution and the keyboard completely absent!

But why will it fail so badly as an artist tool? Because the wacom implementation is 'best in class' which means it's the best that wacom will sell to third parties.

You get 512 levels of pressure sensitivity rather than 1024 and more importantly you don't get the rotation / tilt controls built into a genuine wacom. (So no aribrush or artpen) Combine that with no hardware buttons on the device means that for art it's a non starter.

The workflow from a wacom is so tied into the hardware buttons on the devices for changing tools etc. You can work without them but it feels so slow and clunky compared to with them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a pro artist, but I do own and use a wacom intuos, and have previously owned a windows based palmtop with an embedded wacom of identical spec to what modbook are claiming to have. It was great for notes and sketching but terrible for art... not a patch on the standalone wacoms.

So the modbook is a toy and nothing more.

(I still want one - Me needs more toys!)
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 14:50   #16
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
I'm pretty up to speed with Apple stories. When was this? You sure you're not getting the story mixed up with the 3G Macbook pro machine that ended up on ebay after Apple 'lost' it?
Just had a google about it and that is the story that came up, although I did think that at the time I read it that someone was making them, and Apple confiscated their equipment. I suppose someone might have story that Apple made one and decided to have a go
Old 3rd Jul 2012, 17:41   #17
The_Gnu
8-bit addict

The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.The_Gnu is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This would really be awsome if they just managed to incorporate touch aswell. I bought a wacom cintiq 12wx a while ago, and even though it's greate for what it's suppossed to do, i think it sucks at browsing. Typing a webpage or forum comment feels like it takes forever when you have to use the onscreen keyboard and the stylus. But since browsing isnt the main use for the cintiq its totally acceptable. But I wonder what it feels like in this case when the stylus is your only option if you dont whant an external keyboard and mouse. A high performance tablet with touch and pressuresensitive stylus would really be something, and I hope we will se that in the near future..

Project: ProtoHype (paused)
Project: GET A LIFE (Complete)
Project: Widescreen Projector(Complete)
Guide: How to brush Aluminum
The_Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote