bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 30th Jun 2012, 20:05   #1
legoman
breaker of things

legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
(no name) Raspberry Pi scratch build media centre update (11/07/12)

Sooooo, first proper case mod/build so something a little bit different.

Like many others i ordered myself a Raspberry Pi when they were first available. Mines here and ive been enjoying it since.
I decided i wanted it as a media centre as many have but more over i wanted it as a standalone media device hence this build

Now in true Rpi fashion ive been keeping the costs down most of the kit im using is stuff i had lying around or kindly donated by friends.

Kit wise (so far)
RPi
7 port USB hub + Power adaptor
60Gb 2.5" HDD
HDD caddy
40+60mm fan (more on that later)
An LED
lots of cables
PCB Rails
Lian Li case feet
switches and connectors
Perspex
Mesh from an old speaker
Stripwood

I'm warning you now, im rubbish at most woodwork etc and this will be a slow build im working close to 50hrs a week.

Now, plans, i dont generally do them i have one in my head but i cannot use google sketchup and drawing annoys me.
Basic idea is a box with a clear top meshed sides wit ha fan at one end for airflow.

But moving on, been playing with the layout for a little while and ended up with a stacked design and made some basic measurements so today between the downpours i attacked the stripwood with a saw and ended up with this

Which nicely folds into this

All the bits piled in

The mass of space down one side is for the cables so, being so small i wont really have any proper cable management so this is the next best thing.

Next job is chop up the perspex to make a shelf for the USB hub and Rpi. The HDD will be sat in the bottom as the image above shows. Then work out where to put the connector holes. We have the power in, HDMI two USB ports and a pair of phono outs, the 5V in and a power switch.
The finish for the wood is something im not sure on yet either being soft pine it dents easily so ill have to find something to help with that, any ideas would be much appreciated though!
AMD Phenom X6 1605T @ 4.5Ghz |Corsair H80 |Gigbyte970A-UD3 | 2X4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast | ASUS AMD 6950 2GB DirectCU II & Arctic Accelero Hybrid | Corsair HX750 | Liteon Blue Ray Drive | Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb | Crucial M4 SSD 64GB |Crucial M500 120GB| TP-Link 450MPs WiFi adaptor | Coolermaster Storm Trooper | Win 7 Pro 64it | Roccat ARVO | Logitech G500 | Bamboo 1 | Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW

Last edited by legoman; 11th Jul 2012 at 22:56.
legoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 20:38   #2
Squigly
MODfiend.. ~twitch~

Squigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the DremelSquigly has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
been waiting for a Pi build, will be following with interest, good luck!
Squigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 21:19   #3
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Your choice of building material seems massive.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 21:59   #4
dancingbear84
error 404

dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.dancingbear84 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looking good. I'm keen to see how this one ends up

It doesn't matter if you make a mistake, it only matters if you don't learn from it
dancingbear84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 22:08   #5
Meelobee
Supermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Gotta love a build where a 2,5" disk is the biggest part

And I agree with Cheaps, the material choise for the casing seems a bit odd, it's so massive compared to the other parts.
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jun 2012, 22:51   #6
ninjaplease
I don't know what I'm doing

ninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysis
Subscribed, I've had very similar ideas to this and with my pi arriving in 2 weeks, it'll be very good to see how you get on with it
Old 1st Jul 2012, 00:26   #7
legoman
breaker of things

legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.legoman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks guys im not 100% sold on it myself it was a lump i had lying around doing nothing its 15mm thick as well, I may be able to get some 6-10mm deep strips.

If icant find anything thinner i suppose at least it will be solid
AMD Phenom X6 1605T @ 4.5Ghz |Corsair H80 |Gigbyte970A-UD3 | 2X4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast | ASUS AMD 6950 2GB DirectCU II & Arctic Accelero Hybrid | Corsair HX750 | Liteon Blue Ray Drive | Samsung HD103SJ 1Tb | Crucial M4 SSD 64GB |Crucial M500 120GB| TP-Link 450MPs WiFi adaptor | Coolermaster Storm Trooper | Win 7 Pro 64it | Roccat ARVO | Logitech G500 | Bamboo 1 | Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW
Old 1st Jul 2012, 00:37   #8
Carrie
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.Carrie is definitely a rep cheat.
If you decide you want to downscale on the timber, I have some 9mm birch hardwood ply (cabinet quality S+/BB so no knots at all) I'll have spare from a build I'm currently planning if you'd like it.
MountainMods H2GO - the little case, i7-860, ROG Maximus III Forumla, 2 x 2gb GSkill Trident F3-1600 @ 2k, Coolermaster RS700-80GAD3-UK Silent Pro Gold 700W, Noctua NH-C14 dual fan, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 OC 1GB, 1 x 500GB Seagate 7200, Samsung 830 SSD, 500Gb WD, Samsung 12x B/ray, AeroCool F/C, E'max Apollish/Cluster fans.
Now building a scratch build HTPC
Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jul 2012, 11:26   #9
ninjaplease
I don't know what I'm doing

ninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysisninjaplease can run Crysis
Quick question, what was the USB hub you chose?
Old 1st Jul 2012, 13:11   #10
legoman
breaker of things

thinner wood anyone?

6mm instead of 15mm. Carrie thanks for the offer i didnt see your message till after id got the wood

Ninja, it was according to its case it was in its a Belkin F4U018-BLK Its not on the list of supported devices but shares the same chips as the other Belkin 7 port hub so works perfectly
Old 1st Jul 2012, 19:43   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
That should solve the bulk issue. Sorry about that, but it seemed more like a RP bomb shelter.
Old 1st Jul 2012, 20:13   #12
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
My recommendation is to work on your I/O solution first and then work your way out from there. I'm not sure what you have in mind but using thick wood that doesn't end up interfering with plugging stuff into the ports is very tricky business. Good luck.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 13:54   #13
legoman
breaker of things

Not a problem cheaps, it was all i had available. I may use the 15mm on the base but for now ive left the wood to straighten .
Skip, already taken into account i will simply make a hole for the HDMI as the boss will be anchored on the PCB rails the power in and RCA outs on the back usb on the front and switch on top or the front. II think ill have to do a rough/rubbish sketch of the layout will make more sense. Can't do anything right right now as im at work.
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 14:32   #14
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Not a problem cheaps, it was all i had available. I may use the 15mm on the base but for now ive left the wood to straighten .
Skip, already taken into account i will simply make a hole for the HDMI as the boss will be anchored on the PCB rails the power in and RCA outs on the back usb on the front and switch on top or the front. II think ill have to do a rough/rubbish sketch of the layout will make more sense. Can't do anything right right now as im at work.
OK. From my experience, the Ethernet port will be your biggest issue. Allowing room to work the latch on the connector is the thing that seems to bite everyone the first time (including me). A piece of wood (or acrylic) with a perfectly cut square for the Ethernet port won't work.
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jul 2012, 18:52   #15
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking forward to this
Old 5th Jul 2012, 21:10   #16
Dragonphreak
Multimodder

Dragonphreak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can't wait to see your build. I've just gotten my RaspPi and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to go with my build.
Dragonphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 00:19   #17
legoman
breaker of things

Thanks guys, ive hit a bit of a problem annoying problem in that the 6mm wood has decided to warp, not sure why its been laid down out of the light. Im trying slowly to re straighten it with some steaming but it slow work as im trying not to over wet the wood. To be honest its peeing me off royally i may resort to seeing if i can get some more 6mm wood and do it again if i dont get anywhere by the weekend.

slip, I decided against the Ethernet port mainly because i knew how hard it would be to make a suitable port for one. Also i have a diddy wifi dongle which will serve for the networking functions for now.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 03:05   #18
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
First time I've seen a Pi case that's not built out of legos.
HybridCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2012, 22:54   #19
legoman
breaker of things

finally got some time to my self so thought id make some shorter cables.

This was a 1.8M Micro USB lead

spiral wraps there to help hold it in place at the moment, i chopped out the data lines as this is just going to power the Pi

Also did some terrible braiding for the audio cable, dont worry i put labels on the ends

Sorry about the quality im using the phone

Last edited by legoman; 11th Jul 2012 at 23:44.
Old 12th Jul 2012, 17:53   #20
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Wet lumber will warp if still wet and placed on a flat surface. The side on the ground can't dry, so the side facing up shrinks faster.
I'd store it clamped inside the bits of bigger lumber for a while.

View Mode