1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte announces Aivia Xenon Dual-Mode Mouse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I always wanted an ugly uncomfortable mouse plus I've always found it hard to find a trackpad that was both too small and sat high enough off my desk to be uncomfortable.

But thanks to gigabyte I can finally get the ergonomic car-crash I've been looking for, and I only have to buy one device.

Yippee! Where do I sign?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yeah, I've been trying to work out what I'd use it for and coming up blank. The big problem I can see is that if it's a mouse, it's designed to glide across the worksurface - which is exactly what I *don't* want my trackpad doing when I'm prodding at it. Unless it lowers an anchor when you switch modes, I can't see it being much fun to use unless you use your other hand to hold it in place.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

That's no moon mouse, from the picture it's obviously a hard drive enclosure.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I love the fact that Gigabyte and Leap Motion have tried to solve a UI issue and come up with two devices that look almost identical...

http://live.leapmotion.com/about.html

...but are a million miles apart in functionality!

6. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

There was a company a few years back that did a "normal" shaped mouse with a trackball on the top where the scroll wheel is, flick a switch and you had a trackball mouse instead.

Since laptops come with their own touch pad that makes this somewhat redundant, not to mention the poor ergonomics to guarantee finger cramp from holding it as a mouse, not to mention keyboards can be bought that have a touchpad, etc, etc

Sadly, it is far from a solution for anything and can only be a problem and although innovation is usually a good thing, can these companies not come up with something real users actually want and will use?

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Indeed :eek:) and the leap motion is definitely one device that does have real prospects.

8. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

My expression when I saw this device:
    [​IMG]

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I feel like this mouse would actually be pretty practical for windows 8 based tablets. if you're sitting at a desk, use it as a regular mouse. if you're on a train or something, use it as a trackpad. however in the latter situation, you might as well use the touchscreen.

anyone who seriously cares about switching between the 2 modes could just simply buy an external trackpad, and not too many people desire those. most people who would desire those are laptop users, and we all know laptops have them built-in.

I feel a MUCH more practical idea for this mouse would have been the rubber knobby thing that some IBM, dell, and lenovo laptops have between the G and H keys (I forget what it's called). That way you can still have an ergonomic mouse that can still be controlled without moving the entire thing. something like this could actually be the mouse wheel but you have to press a button to change the mode of it to do that.

which brings me to another cool idea - why not replace the mouse wheel with a flat joystick like the PSP joystick? no more flicking your fingers to scroll a page.

10. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Many years ago (late 90's) while trying to order some replacement rubber caps I was reliably informed, and without a hint of a giggle, by a lady at IBM support that what I required was a pack of 3 nipples.

11. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Officially TrackPoint or TouchStyk, but will answer to 'Pointy thing' 'Red nubbin' or 'That rubber nipple in the middle of the keyboard'

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Let me just leave this here http://xkcd.com/243/

13. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

I see this used in a computer that changes regulary from normal computer to media-consume-device. As in, Usually, I sit in front of my computer, but if i'm with friends and we're going to watch a movie, we're in the couch on the other side of the room, and i see this trackpad coming in handy then, just to point and choose a movie, pause and play it, change the volume etc, without getting up...

Tags: Add Tags