1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fujitsu launches hands-on custom PC building service

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 5 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would be interested in the laptop as they are always such a pain, but its good idea however I'm sure if you do anything in computing in college you get taught all this anyway?

3. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Sounds like a good idea! Not just because I work for Fujitsu... but I would have liked the option to do that when I first built a PC, I only had YouTube and text to go off!

4. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

Having just completed Computing A level with OCR, you don't. We didn't even get to take the side off a prebuilt computer. You do learn bits about the internal structure of a CPU and HDD plus a little about RAM but that's it and it really doesn't qualify you to build a computer (it's also partially wrong, the boot file supposedly loads user preferences? Rubbish).

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I wonder how much of a premium they will charge for this. As opposed to the premium you have to pay (effectively nothing) for getting hold of a screwdriver, taking the side panel off, having a look at the bits inside and doing some research online.

I know this sort of thing isn't aimed anywhere near me - or your average bit-tech reader - but it really isn't that hard these days. If you're building a system from scratch, the only way you can really damage the hardware - aside from the CPU/CPU socket - is to really jam things into a socket they're not designed to fit into. You'll know if a socket isn't designed for the cable/widget in your hands because it'll either be: a different colour, a different shape, or can't be easily inserted.

I can't help but be cynical, because it really is like playing with lego these days.

Tags: Add Tags