bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Jul 2012, 09:35   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Corsair, Plextor, Apacer launch new SSDs

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-apacer-ssds/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 09:50   #2
Jaybles
Hypermodder

Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
The CompactFlash version is capable of 55MB/s read and 20MB/s write performance, with the CompactFlash trailing at 19MB/s read and 14MB/s write.
o.O Please read this back.
i7 950 @ 3.8 1.192v|Noctua NH-U12P SE2|Asus P6X58D-E|12 GB DDR3 1600|1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3|Samsung 830 64GB|XFX Double D R7950|Asus Xonar DG|Antec Quattro 850w|Bitfenix Colossus|Dell U2311H|Dell E173FP
Steam|PSN:nythraln
Jaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 09:58   #3
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just as SSD's approach a very affordable 50p per GB, they announce extra speed and push the price back up to nearly £1 per GB.
I sense that the performance increase is such that few people will move from an existing SSD to one of these and if you are moving from a HDD to an SSD, the performance of something cheaper like the M4 would be enough.
I think that these need to be more keenly priced TBH
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 10:30   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybles View Post
o.O Please read this back.
Whoopsie - fixed, ta.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:27   #5
jon
Multimodder

jon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@do_it_anyway, spot on. I just picked up a 128GB m4 for $109 at Microcenter (and the $50 gift card made it even nicer). Anyone moving from HDD can get cheap SSDs and they'll be so amazed at last-gen's performance they won't even think about current gen, let alone next-gen.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 13:39   #6
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Just as SSD's approach a very affordable 50p per GB, they announce extra speed and push the price back up to nearly 1 per GB.
meh im happy with my new samsung 830 256GB costing 58p per GB
Old 6th Jul 2012, 14:19   #7
infered101
Supermodder

infered101 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Corsair's new M5 family of solid-state drivers in joined by products from Plextor and Apacer as the SSD market continues to grow.
Shouldnt that Be Corsairs's new GS series...... or am I really confused.

Also really excited about this. It only means the old drives will eventually drop in price. Ala amazing performance for cheap.
Old 6th Jul 2012, 17:45   #8
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Marvell announced shipment of its new controller months ago, and apparently SSD's based on it will hit the Sata3 limit. Those would represent a more tangible step change compared to last gen, any ideas when they'll be released?
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 17:59   #9
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
as long as they`re not being used on marevell`s own sata 3 controller since im getting a 20% speed loss on mine
Old 6th Jul 2012, 19:29   #10
Paulg1971
Multimodder

Paulg1971 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Write speeds of 525MB/s are possible on the 180GB and 240GB units, dropping to 530MB/s on the 360GB

Should'nt these speeds be the other way round,or are they the wrong speeds to start with.
Paulg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 19:36   #11
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway
I sense that the performance increase is such that few people will move from an existing SSD to one of these and if you are moving from a HDD to an SSD, the performance of something cheaper like the M4 would be enough.
That is certainly true, the real world effect when changing from a hdd to a ssd (even a low end one like for example a Plextor M2S which is only 49 pence per GB) is much larger than the real world performance difference when changing from one ssd to another ssd, I've went from one Crucial C300 to 2x 256GB Samsung 830 in Raid 0 and honestly, the difference in system performance isn't too big outside of benchmarks.
The main reason to upgrade from one ssd to another is capacity.

Last edited by Anfield; 7th Jul 2012 at 09:54.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2012, 20:35   #12
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
^^ that also depends on motherboard and sata 3 controller as well
Old 6th Jul 2012, 23:58   #13
montymole
Rigid Tubist

montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.montymole is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
i may be crazy but i am running 2 Corsair Force 3 60Gb in Raid 0 on a Gene Z and they are fast enough for me but doing the same with 2 of the 180 Gb Force GS would, appeal if i had a spare 300 id be buying a new GFX card as my 6870 is not fast enough
montymole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2012, 15:28   #14
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
For comparison's sake, what speed does a normal CF or SD run?

edit: Or, I could just ask wiki.

I use a 133x Lexar CF card in my digital camera and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash that works out to about 20 MB/sec. So, yeah, 55 MB/sec would be an improvement, but until we know what they;re going to cost...

Last edited by Cthippo; 8th Jul 2012 at 15:36.
Cthippo is offline   Reply With Quote