1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Quick 650D mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sarakon, 10 Jul 2012.

1. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Hi, :thumb:
    So I decided I would mod my Corsair Obsidian 650D a bit. No real aesthetic changes, just some practical ones. The fan in the front has to suck air through 2 grills, which is by far the loudest thing in this case and it does not push the amount of air that I want it to, so I changed that.

First off I stripped off everything that I could and removed all the hardware and proceeded with cutting a gaping hole in the front of the case:
    [​IMG]

And then some filing.
    [​IMG]

Next up i wanted to add 2 120mm fans to the front, but to mount them I had to create a panel out of 1mm aluminium. First it was cut to size and then I cut the two holes for the fans in them. I only had a hacksaw and not the greatest skill with it but I think the holes came out just fine and after some filing and sanding looked acceptable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the case:
    [​IMG]

The fans that I am going to mount:
    [​IMG]

I forgot to buy black spray paint, but my dad had some black paint at hand so I painted the panel, rather than spraying it. It did not come out quite as good as i had hoped but it looked quite good once mounted.
    [​IMG]

And my PC setup while I was cutting stuff up:
    [​IMG]

Another change I wanted to make was the white power and hard drive activity LED's. As the rest of my build s leaning towards red i changed the LED's as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of my case was also super dusty and was in dire need of a good clean:
    [​IMG]

The end Result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am quite happy with the result. I am thinking of still buying a proper fan controller to which I can wire all the fans but we'll see about that.
    Thanks for watching. :D

2. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

nice job. but I think u need to cover the fans with mesh or sth and/or cut a little the plastic part so that the whole upper fan on the front is visible ;)

3. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Oh yeah the fans on the front are covered by the default mesh from the case, it's a bit difficult to see in this pic:
    [​IMG]

4. RustyTool

RustyTool What's a Dremel?

a ok! cool

5. SilveR_172

SilveR_172 Minimodder

Looking good mate like the mods and look real tidy

6. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Thanks SilveR!
    I just bought myself a fan controller so that i can hook all the fans up properly. It should arrive on Friday.
    Pics to come. :thumb: