bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jul 2012, 09:06   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 review

Be Quiet has launched a new range of coolers. We take a look at the biggest.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...pro-2-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 11:35   #2
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What I don't understand is why so much heat is held in by the 'heat pipes'. I mean there can't be much difference in the actual contact blocks of air coolers and closed unit water coolers, nor with the fans used. The radiator fins are usually a lot smaller on a water cooler so why is so much more heat being transferred by the liquid than the heat pipes?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 12:34   #3
GeorgeK
Bit-Tech Keyboard Overlord

GeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming SaiyanGeorgeK is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think it's to do with the specific heat capacity of water being lower (or maybe higher? can't remember) than air - or that water is a better conductor of heat rather than the fins / heat pipes etc.
GeorgeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 13:01   #4
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Article Quote: "it was still far quieter than our graphics card - in fact we had to momentarily stop our case and graphics card fans to actually gauge the Dark Rock Pro 2's fan noise at all"

BitTech why aren't you using quiet case fans and a graphics card with a quiet cooler or even one of the passively cooled ones for tests like this? Surely that would be a far more subjective test overall?
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 14:02   #5
Petrol head
Modder

Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
With air coolers you are relient on the hot air in the pipes to rise to the cooler. With water cooling the pump moves the water round meaning greater capacity to take the heat away. Not much difference to car cooling system really.

That took me a lot of saving with a wife and 4 young boys!!
Petrol head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 15:11   #6
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol head
With air coolers you are relient on the hot air in the pipes to rise to the cooler. With water cooling the pump moves the water round meaning greater capacity to take the heat away. Not much difference to car cooling system really.
Yeah that would make sense. Didn't think of forced heat exchange rather than a thermal one.
Old 12th Jul 2012, 15:30   #7
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008 View Post
Article Quote: "it was still far quieter than our graphics card - in fact we had to momentarily stop our case and graphics card fans to actually gauge the Dark Rock Pro 2's fan noise at all"

BitTech why aren't you using quiet case fans and a graphics card with a quiet cooler or even one of the passively cooled ones for tests like this? Surely that would be a far more subjective test overall?
We spent a fair amount of time tuning the systems to be able to obtain some useful results with overclocked hardware. While passively-cooled graphics cards and low-cfm fans will allow for a quieter system, emphasising the noise the CPU cooler makes, these machines are run flat out for hours on end and get quite toasty as a result, even as they are. In our experience, this would simply lead to more frequent hardware failure - something that isn't workable with a test system like this. Our LGA2011 system in particular needed an additional case fan just to keep the motherboard cool and stop it throttling the CPU.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 17:59   #8
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I still feel a bit uneasy about the quality of the all in one water coolers, so these uber air coolers are nice for me. I have the Dark Rock Pro 1, and it's great. Although this will probably keep me happy at least another year or two and by then, I'm assuming the all in one water coolers will be too good to pass up.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 03:44   #9
SolidShot
Supermodder

SolidShot has yet to learn the way of the DremelSolidShot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Surely this just shows that all in one coolers will replace fan cooling, in a similar way SSD's will replace HDD?
SolidShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 11:43   #10
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
I was going to go for the cool look on my cooler choice for my next & the Zalman CNPS12X was a likely candidate for me but...

Seen the difference between the noctua D14 & this & for the less noisy fans on this I'd say this is the best air cooler available & it is so asking to be modded to become an even better air cooler performance wise & looks.

As noted in the review of other system noise, it pretty much voids the point of it being nice & quiet so I'm keen to find out what kinda temps I can get this beauty to.

I'll be using this but not as it is, a mod is definitely in order to bring it's full potential to surface I think.

But the pesky awesome steam sale has a hold on me at the moment but I must buy this cooler so I can get all the important measurements ASAP.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 11:53   #11
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidShot
Surely this just shows that all in one coolers will replace fan cooling, in a similar way SSD's will replace HDD?
People have said that before about air coolers... Then they released new models with heat pipes and breathed new life in to the system. I don't think they are dead just yet. Fingers crossed that a new design/tech will soon be launched. We still haven't seen Vapour Chamber cpu coolers as far as I know and they have done a lot for AMD's GPU units.
Old 13th Jul 2012, 12:35   #12
freeclout
Modder

freeclout has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is kinda big though. 1.25kg (hopefully including fans). . . So how much weight can a motherboard take? Wouldn't want to be moving my pc much with this inside.
freeclout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jul 2012, 12:53   #13
stuartwood89
Please... Just call me Stu.

stuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I suppose you could secure it to the case itself somehow. That's probably the approach I would take.

Project - Storm Scout Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
I thought Dragonforce were like a joke/troll rock band? Ya'know, like Nickelback?
stuartwood89 is offline   Reply With Quote