bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Jul 2012, 12:23   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Windows 8 File History backup feature detailed

Microsoft has detailed the File History automated backup feature of Windows 8.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...file-history/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 13:30   #2
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks good, as at the moment my backup is always out of date.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 13:48   #3
SighMoan
Modder

SighMoan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Still not enough for me to even think about upgrading to W8.
SighMoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 14:31   #4
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So.. Akin to "Previous versions" on their server environment?
2008 Mondeo estate
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 14:44   #5
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal View Post
So.. Akin to "Previous versions" on their server environment?
Basically, yeah. You can also get the same basic functionality on other platforms using Dropbox - although you can only back up as many files as the amount of free space you've got, or pay for a Pro account.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 15:22   #6
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Between this and Storage Spaces (the built-in multi-drive dynamic RAID type set-up thingy) Win 8 is looking very tasty for effective file management and backup.

I'm still wary about Metro, even though I haven't used it. Definitely a try before you buy product.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 16:54   #7
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
About bloody time!

I've always been a Windows man, but as for mentioned i did the ACMT course a few months ago (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician). We did a whole module on the function of TIme Machine and the File Volt encryption and i though, **** me this is good Microsoft need to get their **** together..

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 17:23   #8
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The slightly disappointing thing about File History is that it only tracks files in certain locations; Libraries, the Desktop, and a couple of other places. Time Machine, on the other hand, tracks whole disks. Arstechnica has a good article about the new Windows 8 feature:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-file-history/
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 18:24   #9
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw View Post
The slightly disappointing thing about File History is that it only tracks files in certain locations; Libraries, the Desktop, and a couple of other places. Time Machine, on the other hand, tracks whole disks. Arstechnica has a good article about the new Windows 8 feature:

Pretty much everything important on my pc is in those folders. Maybe they'll add functionality for the whole drive at some point (hopefully )
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 18:48   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw View Post

Actually, you can tell File History to track any drive or folder you want - it clearly says so in the blog post linked to from the article.
Old 12th Jul 2012, 20:20   #11
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Entire disk backup wouldn't be possible with a system like this. A weekly snapshot maybe, but constantly monitoring every single file for change, and then saving a copy if that change whilst keeping originals would take up a hell of allot of space!

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jul 2012, 20:25   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay View Post
Entire disk backup wouldn't be possible with a system like this. A weekly snapshot maybe, but constantly monitoring every single file for change, and then saving a copy if that change whilst keeping originals would take up a hell of allot of space!
One word: diffs. (One expansion: differential backups.)
Old 13th Jul 2012, 01:02   #13
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Actually, you can tell File History to track any drive or folder you want - it clearly says so in the blog post linked to from the article.
Thanks, after reading the blog post I can see the reasoning behind Microsoft not letting users backup the whole drive. I was just worried, after reading the Arstechnica piece, that in the case of hard-drive failure it might be harder to get a working system on a new drive (which it is to a slight degree).

They've traded a few steps in the recovery process against a saving in hard-drive space and being able to reinstall the OS from scratch without the problem-causing system settings/apps. I think I'll still stick to my backup program, but I think this will be worth experimenting with when I get Windows 8.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 03:10   #14
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sounds good, keep it coming MS.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 03:12   #15
BurningFeetMan
Multimodder

BurningFeetMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I use SpiderOak for important changing documents. Not only am I backing up my files via an automated means, but I'm also sharing them across multiple computers.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 09:10   #16
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJay
But most people don't need a system that keeps every single version of every single file - no matter what.

Having twenty different backed up versions of a document you worked on for one day a year ago is probably overkill for most people.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 09:15   #17
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
This all sounds very very familiar. Maybe because it's unlike any backup system Microsoft has given us for the home before, and almost identical to Apple's 5 yo Time Machine.

But why limit the locations backed up? (Hopefully these are the just the automatic settings and can be overridden).

And how much control is there over it's behaviour to keep every single version of every single file? Surely like Apple they will provide some mechanism to assign higher priority to more recent versions?

And can this be used during a system restore? Can you install windows and at the time of install point it at your backup disk and get all your PC back? Settings and all?
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2012, 16:33   #18
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Useless with no option to easily define what places I want to take backups of. Any good backup program should allow the user to say they want to back up any location to any other location. Any "backup" service that does not do this is a joke.
Old 14th Jul 2012, 18:35   #19
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
I think this would explode with my 13 TB of media
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 10:29   #20
cornelius1729
What's a Dremel?

cornelius1729 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw
The slightly disappointing thing about File History is that it only tracks files in certain locations; Libraries, the Desktop, and a couple of other places. Time Machine, on the other hand, tracks whole disks.
File History isn't suitable for the whole disk. Files in media collections are unlikely to change, so a straightforward backup makes more sense than something that tracks changes. Similarly, many of the operating system and program files won't change. (Config setting might, but DLLs won't.)

Also, you may want to forget some files. Do you really want that goat pr0n movie you donwloaded on the sly tracked forever?
cornelius1729 is offline   Reply With Quote