bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Jul 2012, 11:14   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Valve confirms Steam for Linux

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-steam-linux/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 11:20   #2
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
This is awesome news.
Atlast I can get steam chat easily on my laptop :P

If they start getting games working properly on linux aswell, my reasons for using Windows will plummet.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 11:28   #3
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Pure Win!

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 11:31   #4
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Excellent news. In more than one way.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 12:39   #5
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
I have been waiting for someone to make games work on Linux without the need for emulators type software running and it looks like it may happen sooner, rather than later which has just put a smile on my face.

I mainly use my pc for gaming, and that is why I run Windows but I have always wanted to get in to Linux but could not be bothered with the constant reboot's to boot back in to Window's, or running it in a Virtualbox so this maybe the way in to Linux for me.

Nice work Valve not often I can say something good about you but this is excellent news.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 13:10   #6
Virus44
Supermodder

Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Virus44 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Finally !
Virus44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 13:33   #7
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
But does this mean Nvidia and AMD will improve their Linux drivers? I think that could be a major hurdle still.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 16:13   #8
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
Does this mean I have to re-buy the games on Linux or can I still use my windows purchases to play on Linux?

Pending the answer to that then this is pure win!
Old 17th Jul 2012, 16:47   #9
ZERO <ibis>
Supermodder

ZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the DremelZERO <ibis> has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With this and the disaster that win 8 will be, perhaps Linux will be on the rise over the next few years.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 17:39   #10
mdshann
Modder

mdshann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Andy MC: If it works like it did when they moved steam to Macintosh, no you will not have to rebuy your games. You will also be able to use the same saved games for games that use Steam Cloud.
mdshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 17:43   #11
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
No one cares Valve stop wasting your time and make more games.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:02   #12
DrTiCool
Multimodder

DrTiCool has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
yay, just installed Ubuntu as a primary OS on my nb few week ago.
Valve you are doing smart and wise step again.
DrTiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:27   #13
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One of the few Valve announcements that don't make me wonder about what's going on with Half Life 3 . Good job, Valve!
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 18:29   #14
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman View Post
...?
Wrong.
Old 17th Jul 2012, 20:05   #15
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman
Do you really think they are committing game devs to make an application multiplatform compatible?
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2012, 23:40   #16
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
I reckon if this takes off, Linux could be a hot spot for indie developers. There's a huge amount of directx games that won't make it to linux. Hopefully this will be the beginning of good video drivers though!
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 00:02   #17
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
I hope they get rid of Source and get a DX11 engine in there.
But I fully support gaming on Linux.

Gabe Newell and Valve have helped PC and gaming development.

Yours in Appreciative Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 04:44   #18
skyhate
What's a Dremel?

skyhate has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It is very important to export it to Linux people . Big new from Valve
skyhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 08:53   #19
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman
The best comment here. What a complete waste of time and money, Valve dump this useless project and finish HL3!
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 09:02   #20
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger View Post
I hope they get rid of Source and get a DX11 engine in there.
But I fully support gaming on Linux.

Gabe Newell and Valve have helped PC and gaming development.

Yours in Appreciative Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Would be a bit hard to port a DX11 engine to Linux as DirectX is purely a Microsoft thing. I guess what you're after is an OpenGL-based engine that has feature-parity with a DX11-based engine.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote