bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Jul 2012, 13:59   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Micron starts shipping Phase Change Memory

Micron has started to ship its first commercial Phase Change Memory (PCM) parts.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...on-ships-pcm/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 16:19   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
What's sulfur? ;-)

Am I understanding the figures right - that this works at about half the theoretical maximum of SATA3, with a similar lifespan of SSD, but with a slight performance increase when writing compared to SSD?

I'm guessing that the real downside at the moment is capacity - but could we start to see PCM replace NAND as the storage device of choice in the future?
Old 18th Jul 2012, 17:07   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
What's sulfur? ;-)
It's a stupid-wordprocessor-set-to-US-English, is what it is... Fixed, ta!
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2012, 17:13   #4
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
It's a stupid-wordprocessor-set-to-US-English, is what it is... Fixed, ta!
Sort it out :P

Sounds interesting, wonder how long it will be before it'll be a potential replacement for current technologies for the average joe.
GeorgeStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2012, 00:14   #5
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
interesting that they would choose the smart phone market as their testing grounds. I may be over-analyzing it, but I wonder if that isn't a move to disguise costs with the common practice of paying for high-end phones via long-term contracts.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2012, 07:01   #6
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougotkicked
interesting that they would choose the smart phone market as their testing grounds. I may be over-analyzing it, but I wonder if that isn't a move to disguise costs with the common practice of paying for high-end phones via long-term contracts.
Maybe both that and lifespan - most phones get ditched after the 2-year contract is up, so if the memory/storage is going to crap out after 3 years, it doesn't matter - it's already been living in the junk drawer for quite a while anyway.

Then again, I thought the subsidized phone thing was pretty much just the US. Is that disease infecting the rest of the world now, too?
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2012, 08:42   #7
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with Fluxtatic. The short life cycle combined with the high profit margin on high end smartphones makes them a perfect testing ground.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jul 2012, 11:21   #8
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
Sort it out :P
Already done - I'd been using some templates from a US publisher (which were, naturally, in US English) and hadn't noticed that it had managed to flip LibreOffice's default across as well. I dunno, free software, eh? I've half a mind to ask for a full refund...
Old 19th Jul 2012, 11:52   #9
Isitari
Multimodder

Isitari has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sorry but Sulfur spelling has changed now. I don't like it but can't do anything about it.

However, the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Royal Society of Chemistry Nomenclature Committee in 1992.[43] The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority for England and Wales recommended its use in 2000,[44] and it now appears in GCSE exams.[45] The Oxford Dictionaries note that "In chemistry... the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts."[46]

Quote from good old Wikipedia.

Only reason I know is because I have to teach my students the correct spelling for exams i.e. Sulfur.
Old 19th Jul 2012, 12:39   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitari View Post
Sorry but Sulfur spelling has changed now. I don't like it but can't do anything about it. [snip citations and explanations]
That I did not know. I wonder why - I mean, if the point was to make it the same across the board, why do we still have aluminium/aluminum?
Old 21st Jul 2012, 03:39   #11
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitari View Post
Sorry but Sulfur spelling has changed now. I don't like it but can't do anything about it. [snip citations and explanations]
That I did not know. I wonder why - I mean, if the point was to make it the same across the board, why do we still have aluminium/aluminum?
I was under the impression that aluminium was designated as the proper word (like sulfur) - but that the Americans didn't listen so they eventually caved and added aluminum as an acceptable substitute?

That could just be the standard plucky brit chemistry urban legend...
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote