bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Jul 2012, 11:17   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Asus announces 27-inch 144Hz VG278HE monitor

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...asus-vg278he/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 12:58   #2
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ummmm no thx. i do not want to be the guinea pig only for them to release the proper version they have already as "next gen" monitor 2.0 blah blah blah.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 13:26   #3
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
To pricey for me.

Would rather pay that money for something that won't give me a headache every time I want to use it.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 13:27   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
TN, 1920x1080
do not want
Old 27th Jul 2012, 14:14   #5
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
^ this
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR F60 ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 14:56   #6
mauvecloud
Minimodder

mauvecloud has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
72 hz per eye is supposed to be flicker free? CRT monitors generally required at least 85 hz to be flicker free, and shutter glasses are reputed to be worse. I'm not surprised it's a TN panel, though. To avoid crosstalk between eyes, the 144 hz means it has to have a worst-case response time of less than 6.9 ms, and IPS panels can only get that low when looking at average response time and possibly ignoring the extra time it takes to stabilize after rtc overshoot.
mauvecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 16:02   #7
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvecloud
72 hz per eye is supposed to be flicker free? CRT monitors generally required at least 85 hz to be flicker free, and shutter glasses are reputed to be worse. I'm not surprised it's a TN panel, though. To avoid crosstalk between eyes, the 144 hz means it has to have a worst-case response time of less than 6.9 ms, and IPS panels can only get that low when looking at average response time and possibly ignoring the extra time it takes to stabilize after rtc overshoot.
Agreed, and don't forget - isn't this going to cause even worse headaches, for those who do get them from 3D displays?
Old 27th Jul 2012, 19:06   #8
badkangaroo
What's a Dremel?

badkangaroo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
TN, 1920x1080
do not want
if it isn't at least 2560x1440 who cares.
badkangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 21:10   #9
Farting Bob
Supermodder

Farting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the DremelFarting Bob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffter
ummmm no thx. i do not want to be the guinea pig only for them to release the proper version they have already as "next gen" monitor 2.0 blah blah blah.
By the time they release a successor though you wont want that because they will have a "next gen" 3.0 model in the works already. At some point you just jump in, if you wait for a perfect component, you wouldnt have a computer now, or ever.
Farting Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2012, 21:35   #10
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farting Bob View Post
By the time they release a successor though you wont want that because they will have a "next gen" 3.0 model in the works already. At some point you just jump in, if you wait for a perfect component, you wouldnt have a computer now, or ever.
hmmm.... yes and no. Some hardware today is really as good as it can get, such as audio, keyboards, and generic gamepads. Some hardware as of right now is more than enough for home/office users, such as CPUs and RAM. Some hardware are only a few steps behind being as good as it can get, such as monitors (true 32 bit color depth ought to be the last). I would say that at this moment, the only hardware that has a lot of room for improvement is networking (both wired and wireless), data storage, GPUs, and mobile CPUs.

In terms of new technologies, such as 3D monitors vs generic monitors, I see what you mean about never being able to jump in if you keep waiting for improvements. However, I think Grifter is just waiting for the technology to mature and become more popular. I personally feel there must be a better way to do 3D than what is available now, but I'm not sure what that is yet.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 11:04   #11
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Glad I bought my 30" Dell. It's not 3d, but it is 2560x1600.

I don't get why a 27" 2d monitor is a big deal when the res is only 1920x1080. Let's have some boundary pushing tech.... you know, like retina, but for the PC...(not that I fully understand what retina is apart from 2880x1800 on a macbook pro http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/06/macbook-pro/all/)
Tattysnuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 13:08   #12
Gambler FEX online
Minimodder

Gambler FEX online has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkangaroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu View Post
TN, 1920x1080
do not want
if it isn't at least 2560x1440 who cares.
How about this then: http://120hz.net

120hz is the future.

- Wonder in amazement as the 120Hz display produces an easily observable higher fluidity in the animation.
techreport.com/articles.x/21516

- The ASUS VG236H was my first exposure to 120Hz refresh displays that aren’t CRTs, and the difference is about as subtle as a dump truck driving through your living room.
anandtech.com/show/3842/asus-vg236h-review-our-first-look-at-120hz

- Doing precise image editing, as another example, is an area where faster display processing times are desirable.
anandtech.com/show/2787

- Sorry been playing some Quakelive. Its so nice to be at high refresh in Q3 again. Quakelive is goddamn amazing at 120hz. I’m just going through some games now…Dragon Age looks good too. Even the windows desktop is instantly smoother, even my fiancee could tell the difference in the mouse moving around.
hardforum.com:80/showthread.php?t=1466381&page=18
Gambler FEX online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 15:58   #13
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat.
Subjective appearances. 1080p and Twisted Numeric means that, while 120 hz might be nicer for the "Speed" of image editing; it won't have the colour range and depth of a similar-price IPS screen, which means anything produced on this monitor may be off in terms of colour.

3D might also be nice, but remember what you're trading off for that; better colours and better viewing angles.

I'm amazed Asus hasn't made a 120hz IPS screen already. With all the times they come up with completely insane ideas (MARS series, i'm looking at you); you'd think something as "simple" as doubling the refresh rate on an IPS screen wouldn't be that complicated.

120hz adds in percieved smoothness, but I've been through the change the other way, when I was limited to 30hz on a 37" TV at one point. Going back to 60 felt awesome. What's to stop you, six years down the line, repeating your words, only going "120hz is ****. 240hz is were Deez Bizinezzez should be ats."?

We've all been at 120hz before, with CRT screens. Who really needed that? 85 was generally comfortable, and the moment i'm at 72hz on a TFT panel. From 1999. The extra 12hz isn't really a gamechanger for me. Give me 60hz, and better colours, kthxbai.

There is also the ironic fact that despite most monitors claiming 2ms GtG times; most reasonable IPS panels actually have pixels response times that are the same, if not faster, than TN panels, even 120hz TN panels with overdrive.

I'm thinking that, at this point in time, looking at all the other evidence; Most IPS panels out there are probably capable of far more than just 60hz, it's just limited to that to prevent screen burnouts, like the shortened lifespan you will see with 120hz screens with Overdrive enabled.
Dozy Beast: AMD FX8120 | Thermalright Archon | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP | Asus Xonar DX/XD | 2X SLI KFA2 550Ti White Edition | Silverstone SSTG1000W | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 485s | Creative Gigaworks T40s | Logitech G13 | Microsoft Sidewinder X6 | Cyborg R.A.T 9

Last edited by .//TuNdRa; 28th Jul 2012 at 16:13.
.//TuNdRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 20:37   #14
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc View Post
Glad I bought my 30" Dell. It's not 3d, but it is 2560x1600.

I don't get why a 27" 2d monitor is a big deal when the res is only 1920x1080. Let's have some boundary pushing tech.... you know, like retina, but for the PC...(not that I fully understand what retina is apart from 2880x1800 on a macbook pro http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/06/macbook-pro/all/)
Retina displays are basically displays that have a larger PPI. In other words it's just a high density panel. Is it done by apple? No, the first "retina" (god I hate that term) display was the awesome T200 series by IBM. 20" with a resolution of more than a few megapixels.

The reason you want a high PPI display is because firstly you can't see the pixels. And secondly, the picture quality is much butter.

As for 120Hz IPS panels. The reason they haven't really introduced it yet is mainly down to the fact that overdrive screws with color accuracy and also reduces panel lifespan. But they will soon. I have no doubt about it.
Old 28th Jul 2012, 23:04   #15
pingu666
Supermodder

pingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpingu666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
is there actully a connection that could cope with super high res at 120hz+ ?
pingu666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2012, 23:56   #16
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming SaiyanElton is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu666 View Post
Displayport I think. The problem isn't the connection but the output on the GPU.
Old 29th Jul 2012, 00:02   #17
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu666
Displayport 1.2 goes up to 4096x2160 at 60hz only though:

http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/5027...ort_1-2_WP.pdf
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2012, 10:57   #18
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I just want a new monitor that's:

2560x1600
60 hz
8bit
no dead pixels
no backlight bleed
no noticable buzzing noises
no noticable input lag

And preferably under £600
I'll probably try my luck with a Hazro HZ27WC but I'm probably going to wait for Arma3.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jul 2012, 12:40   #19
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.Anfield is definitely a rep cheat.
^
that uses a res of 2560 x 1440 though. But besides that it is probably one of the best affordable" 27" screens still.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2012, 11:32   #20
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Oops yeah that's ok, still bloody big I hear very mixed reviews about the Hazro unfortunately. But then... you get mixed reviews about everything if you research it well enough. For example I saw some people talking about crappy build quality and if you get a bad one like that, then the backlight is terrible etc.. So I thought ok screw it, I'll look at the more expensive Dell instead. But then as I read about that I saw the same things, and that has the added issue of (apparently) a very over the top and ugly None Glare Coating which gives a kind of grainy tint to everything.

So in other words, my hope for the future is just to get a screen like we can already get - but more reliable and better built. And seeing one using a crappy old TN panel and a low resolution seems like a big backwards step to me, one that the 144hz doesn't compensate for. That's just imo though. If I used it as a TV or something I would have completely different requirements, but for playing games and browsing the web and stuff, I really want it to be sharp and clean and nice lookin.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote