bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:16   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Star Wars: The Old Republic to go free-to-play

Shrinking subscriber numbers and waning popularity lead to a familiar model shift for BioWare and EA...
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...free-to-play/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:21   #2
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
this really is reminding me of Earth and Beyond - really enjoyed it till they killed the serveres due to dwindling numbers
Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:25   #3
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
The funniest part is seeing them trying to spin this in a positive way...

'Our team is extremely excited about this new plan,' added Hickman. 'We are working hard and having a lot of fun preparing new content and items for the game.'

Suuure...

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:35   #4
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...d_.php?print=1

Quote:
Current projections, he says, show enough success that BioWare is investing in the future and keeping the entire team of hundreds of people together.

"Unlike a lot of other game companies that, once they launch a game, downsize their teams radically, our plan is to keep the team together and continue to focus on building content."

Indeed, Ohlen says his experience has been that, once a game is finished, he always moved on to the next game right away, sometimes even before the game was done. But SWTOR will be different, he insists.

"There's no secret project currently being done in the Austin studio," reveals Ohlen. "We're very much focused on Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars for the foreseeable future"

followed by

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/bioware-...c-team-6378106

Quote:
The Star Wars: The Old Republic team is smaller today, as Electronic Arts studio BioWare has confirmed a round of layoffs to the team behind the sci-fi massively multiplayer online role-playing game. BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka called the move a "restructuring" in a public statement.
and now its gone F2P
Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:37   #5
monkiboi
Multimodder

monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.monkiboi is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's surprising (to me at least) just how difficult it is to maintain a community around a game nowdays after the initial buzz has worn off.
Old 1st Aug 2012, 11:43   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Not a big shock game lacked content at end game and struggles because of it
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 12:09   #7
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
Cant wait to get back into this. I really enjoyed the story lines but didnt want to pay a monthly sub for what I felt was KOTOR3 with a chat interface.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 12:41   #8
Kastagir
What's a Dremel?

Kastagir has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The game was released unfinished. The basic functionality needed to build community was missing or inadequate. LFG, Guild UI for example. Without the resources to build a strong community it was doomed to fail. Which is a shame really, cos I really liked it.
Kastagir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 12:47   #9
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Unless they've raised it level cap is at 50, which is kind of impossible to advance beyond, lol.
"gamers will have access to characters up to level 50 for free, after which they will have to take out a subscription to advance"
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 12:56   #10
Tris
Multimodder

Tris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I played this quite heavily and ended up quitting due to lack of end game content. The funny thing is that it wasn't particularly lacking (when compared to other MMO's, even WoW), it's just that they made it too easy to get the top level gear.

They had a "heroic mode" like system where some of the dungeons you completed while levelling were boosted up to max level and allowed you to get level 50 set gear. Only problem was you could do the end game operations without gearing up first and get far better gear, so everyone skipped straight to those and cut out potentially weeks of grinding.

Not interested in returning for a F2P version to be honest, MMO's realistically get one shot to be huge and that's passed by for this game, as it did for Warhammer and AOC before.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 13:38   #11
Silent_Raider
Multimodder

Silent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run CrysisSilent_Raider can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
this really is reminding me of Earth and Beyond - really enjoyed it till they killed the serveres due to dwindling numbers

Except Earth and Beyond was a much better game! I still miss it.
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H100 | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 | 2x Crucial C300 256GB SSD| 2x MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr III 4GB | Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA | Kingwin Lazer 1000W | LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner | Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D THX | Logitech G500 | Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Dragon Age III Edition) | 3 x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" 3600x1920 | Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 | Win 7 x64 Ultimate
Silent_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 14:35   #12
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon View Post
Unless they've raised it level cap is at 50, which is kind of impossible to advance beyond, lol.
"gamers will have access to characters up to level 50 for free, after which they will have to take out a subscription to advance"
There is a planned Level Cap increase with the next set of content (at least, when the new Operation and Planet are released).

With regards to a lack of endgame, i think that's improved immensely. I could see how early on the single Operation would have been tiring to repeat, however now with 3 Operations, 1 of which being immensely challenging, i think there's enough to satisfy most people (our Guild has been around since launch and whilst we've lost quite a few players, one of our Ops teams has only just started tackling Hard Mode Denova).

Obviously "Hardcore" MMOers will never be satisfied with the endgame because they rush to the end at a pace like no other, but for the majority i think the current endgame is sufficient, but slightly growing old.
vdbswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 14:46   #13
yazooo
Minimodder

yazooo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I quit because my play time didn't justify the sub although I was enjoying it. I will go back when it is F2P, it's nice to know I can play a couple of hours a month and not feel like I'm wasting a tenner!
Old 1st Aug 2012, 15:00   #14
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
Just make UO2 dammit, EA!
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 15:18   #15
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd love to play it now it's free as I realy like the KOTOR games.
The problem is I just don't have the spare time needed to play MMO's.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 17:59   #16
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazooo
I quit because my play time didn't justify the sub although I was enjoying it. I will go back when it is F2P, it's nice to know I can play a couple of hours a month and not feel like I'm wasting a tenner!
this is pretty much my exact argument about subscription games. It's like going back to the bad old days of Pay as You Go mobile phones where the monthly call time vouchers expired if you didn't use all the minutes you had paid for.

Paying a fixed fee per month regardless of time can either be great if you have lots of spare time, but it sucks if you only get a couple of hours a week of free time.
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 18:24   #17
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Guild Wars: Yes I paid for each campaign and the expansion (for two accounts). But in six years I never once paid a monthly fee. I'm pretty much done with it but if I feel the need I can hop back in any time - for no extra charge. Needless to say that I preordered Guild Wars 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazooo View Post
... it's nice to know I can play a couple of hours a month and not feel like I'm wasting a tenner!
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3v1ck View Post
I'd love to play it now it's free as I realy like the KOTOR games.
The problem is I just don't have the spare time needed to play MMO's.
And This.
Old 1st Aug 2012, 19:54   #18
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Think we could get a thread merge? We don't need two threads in articles saying the same thing.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2012, 20:28   #19
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
"End game" is a term used for theme park mmos, which will inevitably fail to keep the interest of the ritalin popping Worst. Generation. Ever.

Try EVE, a real sandbox and learn to cooperate with 4000 other people in your Alliance to compete against another alliance of 4000 people cooperating to stop you.

Yours in Freedom is better than Rides Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 02:02   #20
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ill probably start using my account then
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free to play, mmo, star wars, sw:tor, swtor, the old republic