bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 2nd Aug 2012, 09:34   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Valve hits Left 4 Dead 2 performance high - on Linux

The Linux port of Left 4 Dead 2 runs significantly faster than the Windows version, thanks - Valve claims - to the efficiency of the kernel and OpenGL.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-performance/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 09:41   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So, what you're ACTUALLY saying, Valve, is DirectX is worse than OpenGL....

We knew that already.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 09:42   #3
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great news! Just read this on twitter a minute ago. Scary performance increase. Lets hope they can keep improving the performance. Hopefully more devs see that there is gains to be had developing for Linux as well as windows.

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 09:47   #4
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Hopefully it won't be long before all the sources games will be running awesomely

Will be keeping an eye on their progress.
GeorgeStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:05   #5
Rich_13
Hypermodder

Rich_13 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
To be honest this is a load of rubbish. Did they do like for like performance testing with the same graphics feature sets? I am all in favour for OpenGL support and a AAA grade company focusing on the Linux platform but all the trash talking seems to just be an excuse to build up the platform.

It'll be interesting to see how OpenGL keeps up with developers demands on them. 4.2 is nearly a year old!
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:13   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_13 View Post
It'll be interesting to see how OpenGL keeps up with developers demands on them. 4.2 is nearly a year old! http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/
A year old? My god! Valve should give up on such an outdated platform and dedicate themselves to DirectX11 immediately! You know, the DirectX11 which was released in 2008 - four years ago.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:24   #7
Phalanx

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I remember the days when games used to give you the choice to pick your rendering engine. I always used OpenGL as it was faster and more streamlined. Things haven't changed, apart from lazy developers who want the easy package of DirectX.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:33   #8
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
A year old? My god! Valve should give up on such an outdated platform and dedicate themselves to DirectX11 immediately! You know, the DirectX11 which was released in 2008 - four years ago.
A bit caustic reply from a staff member but funny anyways.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:34   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by impar View Post
A bit caustic reply from a staff member but funny anyways.
Meh. I'm a freelancer, and I ain't had my morning coffee yet. Plus, I'd say more sarcastic than caustic, but I'm never the best judge of these things.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:36   #10
will_123

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Meh. I'm a freelancer, and I ain't had my morning coffee yet. Plus, I'd say more sarcastic than caustic, but I'm never the best judge of these things.
It highly amused me!

Old 2nd Aug 2012, 10:51   #11
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123
Scary performance increase.
I would hardly call a ~3.5% increase in performance "scary"...
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:01   #12
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
303FPS vs 315FPS? (OpenGL figures)

So under these tests linux is 3% faster? And on this game and in this resolution both can generate a higher FPS figure than anyone will ever need?

Nice test Valve, now update your damn tools and game catalogue and test again using a modern game engine!

Still 3% is 3%... it's just a shame that linux is linux.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:03   #13
will_123

270 fps to 315 is very impressive in my opinion? maybe scary was not the correct word. But very its a very impressive increase in frame rates.

Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:05   #14
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Remember that the Windows OpenGL version only gets 303FPS thanks to work done on the Linux OpenGL version - before that, the best performance was 270FPS from the DirectX version. So you're not looking at a 3% performance increase, but a 16-ish per cent performance increase under Linux/OpenGL compared to Windows/DirectX.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:13   #15
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
I have a feeling it might be attributed to overhead more than anything else.
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:40   #16
Action_Parsnip
Hypermodder

Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Action_Parsnip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
What Valve are actually saying is OpenGL is more efficient than DirectX 9. That DX9 is inefficient, was a known fact before this day.

Q6700@3.475ghz 9x386mhz, Asus P5-B Deluxe WIFI-AP, 2x2gb Kingston 1066 @965mhz 5-5-5-15, western Digital Caviar Black 1tb HDD, Titan Fenrir, PC Power&Cooling 750w, XFX 4890
Action_Parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 11:49   #17
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
How important is an increase from 270 to 315fps - I guess if I had a 315hz TV it would be smooth, my eyes can only process around 60fps.

It's interesting because a linux code/OPENGL combo is important for several reasons I suspect - I assume the single most important part will be the ability to fast port PC games based on linux to Android (phones/consoles/tablets), the openGL driver will enable a faster port to iOS (iphone, ipad, imac, ipod).

Microsofts windows8 platform is attempting to gain massive share into the phone/tablet market at the same time the android/linux camp are pushing hard into the consumer PC market.... let teh games begin, but please stop trying to make my PC display look like a smartphone, when I don't use a touchscreen for my PC.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 12:23   #18
will_123

Quote:
How important is an increase from 270 to 315fps - I guess if I had a 315hz TV it would be smooth, my eyes can only process around 60fps.
Maybe its not important in this case but when you are not on a GTX 680 the performance increases from OpenGL could be a very good thing!

Old 2nd Aug 2012, 12:45   #19
Phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action_Parsnip View Post
What Valve are actually saying is OpenGL is more efficient than DirectX 9. That DX9 is inefficient, was a known fact before this day.
Ah that's a point, L4D is DX9 isn't it, as it runs on XP!
Old 2nd Aug 2012, 12:50   #20
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
after their calling windows 8 a catastrophe because of the windows store, I can't help but wonder if the only reason HL2 is faster is because they wanted it to be faster )

Tags
left 4 dead 2, linux, linux gaming, source, steam, steam for linux, valve