bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Aug 2012, 11:30   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel working on Next Generation Form Factor SSDs

Intel is rumoured to be working on an mSATA replacement dubbed NGFF, with a view to making it a requirement for Ultrabook certification.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...6/intel-ngff/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 13:51   #2
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
forget notebook, that fit in smartphone
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 14:23   #3
[-Stash-]
Multimodder

[-Stash-] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would love to get some faster storage in my phone. It's barely acceptable as it stands.
[-Stash-] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 15:18   #4
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
And bigger! My iPhone is 16gig which just isn't enough for me. There was a 32gig option when I got it but it was out of stock. Next time I upgrade I would really love a 64gig.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2012, 23:00   #5
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd love one in my tablet! The thing in there is SLOW....
Old 7th Aug 2012, 00:22   #6
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
one of these things in a tablet would be roughly the same size as the motherboard...
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2012, 02:11   #7
AmEv
Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.AmEv is definitely a rep cheat.
10.1"?
Old 7th Aug 2012, 07:55   #8
chrismarkham1982
amateur destroyer/Head not well

chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.
motherboards in tablets are half to 2 thirds of the overall package, although I have seen smaller.
hard or soft to suit your taste

Sony Vaio SVE1513Q1EB (I5 3230m, 8GB DDR3-1600, 128 SSD/750GB HDD) - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...now the Wife's...she dosn't seem to appreciate it - Nexus 7 Gen 2
chrismarkham1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Aug 2012, 13:42   #9
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apart from the iPad(3), the motherboard in that is 2cm in down done side. The rest of the space is the battery!

Back to the point, I'm interested in this as it means we'll have smaller cases, and if motherboards didn't come with SATA ports they could be smaller too (thinking from a purely desktop stand point).
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2012, 01:56   #10
chrismarkham1982
amateur destroyer/Head not well

chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.chrismarkham1982 is definitely a rep cheat.
^This
hard or soft to suit your taste

Sony Vaio SVE1513Q1EB (I5 3230m, 8GB DDR3-1600, 128 SSD/750GB HDD) - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...now the Wife's...she dosn't seem to appreciate it - Nexus 7 Gen 2
chrismarkham1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Aug 2012, 10:13   #11
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Pete View Post
Apart from the iPad(3), the motherboard in that is 2cm in down done side. The rest of the space is the battery!

Back to the point, I'm interested in this as it means we'll have smaller cases, and if motherboards didn't come with SATA ports they could be smaller too (thinking from a purely desktop stand point).
Yeah, tablet hardware really is miniscule, despite the power of the components. That's one of the things that makes ARM's rise in profile/popularity a very exciting prospect. Just look at the size of the Raspberry Pi - that would be even smaller if it didn't need a host of big ugly ports stuck to the board.

And it's a very intriguing idea indeed, if this is actually true. The minimum size mentioned in the article is 20mm; the prospect of having a motherboard with just a 20mm hard drive poking out - and no other storage or optical drives - is a pretty tasty one. Even if you don't get massive capacities at that size, as little as 16GB would be enough to install an OS and a few basic applications - perfect for an average home desktop or an HTPC; you can always offload large file storage to a network location. Even if network storage is not really an option for mainstream consumers, it's easy for an SME or your average bit-tech reader .
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intel, msata, ngff, ssd, ultrabook