bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 12th Aug 2012, 02:24   #21
KryptiK
Minimodder

KryptiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKryptiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
Looking great so far, I wish I had access to a lasercutter...oh the possibilities!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
impressive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizugetsu View Post
This is so awesome
Hehehe thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lister View Post
This is looking awesome dude ! sort of industrial and sporty blended together, love it let's see some more.
Part of the design was inspired by the Audi R8, so i guess that's where the sporty and part comes from. I love its subtle aggressive look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeidau View Post
Keyshot will give you better renders for .SLD files

Looking good mate
I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Neat design. I like the 'stance' it has. We ran into a similar problem laser cutting thicker plexi. It retains heat long enough to melt the seam back together in the tighter cuts.

The water bottle full of solvent bugs me. I was instantly reminded of the "The Young Ones" episode with the homicidal maniac potion in a Coke can.
"I just bet someone will drink that later..."
the solvent looks very dericious and tempting if you want to quench your thirst
KryptiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2012, 02:57   #22
KryptiK
Minimodder

KryptiK has yet to learn the way of the DremelKryptiK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Update!
Don't have much time to work on the project today. Studying for exam tomorrow morning
Will have a bunch of updates on Monday. Some really neat things are going to be done, so stay tuned.

Attached and bonded the inner cover for the PSU. It was difficult to install those long struts that hold the rectangular panels together as the most of the leg assembly had to be disassembled.

The back legs are raised by a few scrap acrylic pieces, will add the HDD bay in soon.

Still need to glue two more panels to the inner cover. They're on angles so the edges of the panels need to be filed to a point in order for it to fit snugly.

Sneaky peaky at the hard drive caddy (which still hasn't been glued together)

Old 12th Aug 2012, 12:13   #23
jeckulz
Supermodder

jeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You have my attention sir
jeckulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2012, 16:17   #24
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Seriously cool! subbed
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2012, 17:11   #25
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Seriously cool! subbed
Agreed, this is looking really good
bulldogjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2012, 17:21   #26
rwb97
Addicted to modding

rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
WOW man, u got some incredible designs there, and then actually being able to make them real is astonishing! (true laser cutter helps but still)

sub'd + rep, cant wait to see more
Quote:
I got my first real 24-pin.... Bought it at the five-and-dime.... Sleeved it till my fingers bled.... Was the summer of '69
rwb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2012, 19:51   #27
mindfulone
What's a Dremel?

mindfulone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
kind of reminds me of good 'ole Robotech, definitely sub'd
mindfulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2012, 04:51   #28
KryptiK
Minimodder

Update!

Back for some more modding

Firstly I bought some 10mm diameter alu rods and 20mm tube extrusions.
Got a pretty good discount by Ullrich Aluminum

Only problem rods weren't 10mm diameter, were 12mm
not a big deal, going back to sort it out
Old 13th Aug 2012, 08:43   #29
KryptiK
Minimodder

So I called the fabrication guys at Ullrich when I got there they already had the correct diameter rods cut.

Fitting the rods to the connecting brackets that are glued to the front legs. This greatly increased the strength of the front fan mount area.

Also caused some bowing of the red truss frames. Need to sort that out.

Tired inserting the rods into the HDD cage support, it was an extremely tight fit. Only managed to get to half way through (possibly because I glued two 6mm sheets to make each part, they weren't aligned perfectly - to the 0.01mm)
The accuracy of the laser cutter is 0.001mm, I'm not sure about the tolerance of the extruded rod.
Going to sand those holes so it fits snugly.

Meanwhile, the 20mm tubes also were a very tight fit. Had to do some light sanding.

Only inserted a few fins but you get the jist of it if you saw the CAD drawing.
Reason why the columns aren't touching the ground is it's going to be supported.

They are going to be polished so have that picture in your mind.

Said I was going to do some bending and bending I did.
Was heating it with a heat gun, problem was that it didn't turn out picture perfect.

There is obviously some distortion like the part had shrunk during the heating/cooling.

This is how perfectly the unbent part sits on the leg.

Damn.
I can't rely on skills with electric hand tools

I'll redesign these parts so it doesn't require any bending (probably just gluing)
Old 13th Aug 2012, 08:47   #30
Redd13
Minimodder

Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Redd13 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
very nice design mate... great to see the solidworks model...
Redd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2012, 09:36   #31
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
get our SupaRods now! if You call us in 20 minutes You'll get 2 mm plus for every product
Vetalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2012, 09:40   #32
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
I think that thats not unusual.

You would usually buy with a +2mm tolerance to allow for machining. (metal ON condition)

This project is really nice, although im not a big plastic fan.

Will look ace with them rods polished up.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2012, 11:17   #33
Blarte
Moderate Modder

Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
Agreed, this is looking really good
agree'd.. oh and he updates on regular basis ...(rolls eyes)
Old 14th Aug 2012, 05:13   #34
craigbru
Now... with more CNC!

craigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcraigbru has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Innovative design. I like the industrial/layered look. Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed13
'to cram everything in the box, you must think outside the box'
craigbru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2012, 08:50   #35
KryptiK
Minimodder

Oh found out that the actually completion date is 27th of August...

Was freaking out that I had to finish in a few days
but now I can pace my self, so will put an update soon on the redesigned bends
Old 14th Aug 2012, 13:21   #36
alonso_bistro
I'm just looking

alonso_bistro has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
impressive! keep up the good work.
alonso_bistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 05:22   #37
dngerdave
What's a Dremel?

dngerdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm in love with the use of the three colors Great design, looks like you know what you are doing
dngerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 00:39   #38
alfredshuryan
Minimodder

alfredshuryan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelalfredshuryan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AMAZING! I would buy this case in a heartbeat if manufactured. Awesome Craftsmanship and attention to detail is fantastic! I love this case man. Hope it gets picked up for the masses.
^5
alfredshuryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 09:08   #39
KryptiK
Minimodder

@Redd13
Vetalar
PabloFunky
Blarte
craigbru
alonso_bistro
dngerdave
alfredshuryan

Thanks guys

Small update.

Laser cut some more stuff. Red accents on the rear legs.
hehehe corvette

Also chamfered some the missing panels for the inner cover

It was getting dark... could get any more done for today
Old 16th Aug 2012, 13:30   #40
daletur328
Minimodder

daletur328 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lookin good,Love the seamless accents, sub'd.
daletur328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, kryptik, laser, obsidia-shiro, scratch build

View Mode