bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th Aug 2012, 03:26   #21
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Log Update - 8/17

Update again!

Let's get to it, shall we?

Continuing chassis modification, I needed to remove the cross-bracing on the stock intake fan spot on the frame. It's great for structural rigidity, but it's just not necessary in the long run. Let's remove it. Plus, it'll make it look more aesthetically pleasing.

It's a simple method of rotary-tooling the four areas where you want to remove it. As if I needed to explain that, right?

One of the few things I actual use from the Dremel® brand; Ez-lock. Love them. Love them!

I'm not too worried about the quality of the cuts, as it'll be covered over anyways, but that's no excuse for doing a poopy job.

After hitting the four areas, some quick flat-file sanding and I'll call it done.

Now, let's work on the fillport area. Almost forgot about that one! More high-tech method; a pencil! Measure out so it's centered and exactly where I want it relative to where the top is and the res itself.

Bulls-eye!

Quick holesaw drilling and clean up with a file, and it's perfectly fine. Let's drop in the fillport itself and see how it looks...

I also need to drill out the mount-points for the top fan grill/dressing too. Almost forgot those as well!

There we go! Nice n' easy.

And a quick lil' mock layout of the customized top...

Should look great once it's all wrapped up. Ultimately it's up to the lil' lady on whether it's cool or not.

I'll be back soon and with more to show. Can't drag me feet on this one! Toodles!

LilyPC - in progressBIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
E.E.L. Ambiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2012, 09:18   #22
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I like it. High-quality work as always.
Old 19th Aug 2012, 02:43   #23
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

E.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run CrysisE.E.L. Ambiense can run Crysis
Log Update - 8/18

Update again again!

Let's get to it. Gotta roll through this thing!

Alright, let's start some restoration work on an old friend; the PA 120.1 rad. She really needs a facelift from sitting in a box probably 4-5 years now, so she has some layers of patina going on inside and paint peeling on outside. Let's fix that.

First off, need to strip some of the crap off her, including the foam fan-gasket (or what's left of it). I usually use some really good lacquer thinner, but since I'm currently out of it I'm going to use some turpentine. Family full of artists, there are always supplies of some kind around!

Either/or, use a bloody mask, ok? And gloves too. This crap will liquify your bloody liver and turn you into a pile of mush before you even hit the ground from fumes!

Alright, the patient is ready to go...

Let's mouse-sander some of the stuff off first...

Alright, the bulk of the crap is gone, so let's dab some turp onto a rag and start rubbing the rad.

A few minutes later, things are pretty good now.

Time to mask off the core of the rad with some thermal-resistant tape. I can't tell you how many times I've seen painted rads (or worse, powder coated), and the user failed to mask off the core of the rad itself. Why?!

You realize anything on those fins reduces the cooling capacity right out the gate, right? Think of it as being extremely hot (such as the current weather in FL) and wearing a sweater and a jacket over that. That's what you're doing to the rad. Hell, if I had my way I'd have a fresh rad off the line before it was painted at all. Anyways, the core won't be seen anyway since this will be a push/pull. But still. FYI!

First pass done! She looks a lot better than she did. I went ahead and gave her a "bath" and vinegar-rinsed her out a couple times. Yeck... It took two passes but it finally ran completely clear before the distilled rinse. I'll probably do it again once she's all aesthetically finished up just to make sure. Plus I need to do a leak-test to make sure all her solder points are still intact; extreme heat is not good for PC rads, even if she was coated in special low-temp stuff.

Let's finish up on the rest of the "hard mods" on the case; the window. Alrighty.

I don't really need to mask off since I'm taking everything down to the bare metal on this case, but I'll do it anyways. Let's put it this way; it's the proper procedure for a modder that relies on a good job being done to get some food on the table.

Again, mark out where everything goes. This design's a little more tricky, since it's multiple layers that include opaque and transparent, so the cuts need to be pretty exact or it will ruin the look once everything's all bolted together. But this is the stuff I thrive on!

After drilling all the mounting holes themselves, I'm drilling out some pilot contoured corners for jigsaw work...

Simple scrolling jigsaw work now. Nice and slow wins the race.

There we go! Good enough. Just need to clean up with rotary tool and a flat-file, and I can do a test bolt-on assembly to see how it looks....

...and it looks like it worked just fine.

Panel installed back on case, and it looks right to me. I think she'll like this. Or at least I hope so.

Alright, I'll be back soon! Thanks for tuning in. Later!

LilyPC - in progressBIO-A10 - MotM Jul. '12 Nominee Loser!"Movie Sign!" - in progressCheckMate - MotM May '09 Nominee Loser!BluBawx I - MotY '09 Nominee Loser!Lumière Noire - MotM Apr. '08 Nominee Loser!NOTalis w/ MNPCTech"Building Better Worlds" - MotM Feb. '08 Nominee Loser!
Old 19th Aug 2012, 07:54   #24
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
Beautiful work! Subscribed!
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 18:23   #25
Splits
Minimodder

Splits has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I know a guy whose alias is Lily and I think he might be interested in this... XD

Really nice work so far, looking forward to see it develop!
Splits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 23:02   #26
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
Great design, great work, great photos, great worklog... It's EEL!
Old 20th Aug 2012, 10:29   #27
Balder
Calmer than a monk on morphine

Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Get back from vacation and this little gem of a log is waiting, love the looks allready!
Old 21st Aug 2012, 09:42   #28
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
well i took a cup of coffee, handful of anti-hangover pills and turn on PC only to read fresh eel's update - and now my day ruined :\
Vetalar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 02:04   #29
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
More high quality & fun logging from E.E.L. Ambiense.

Listened to the podcast last night, good stuff.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 14:41   #30
mnpctech
bit-tech sponsor

mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.mnpctech is definitely a rep cheat.
EEL must be busy....hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post

Awesome! and Our search for the Warmer Slave Rep who cares to help EEL, continues...
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 14:50   #31
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
She HAS to love you when she get's this mod!

Looks really good man, my guess is she'll be over the moon getting a pc like this!

I had my own little rendevouz with MSI 4-5 years ago... I support you to my dying breath!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 14:56   #32
Meelobee
Hypermodder

Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Meelobee is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
wow the design of the panels is really cool, subbed
Meelobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 17:53   #33
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Sweet. Windows mean you will be dressing up the insides too.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 19:50   #34
Cigano
\O/

Cigano has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's getting pretty much your project, I admire this case from Lian-Li.
I'll follow your project!

Hugs!
Linux User#479342
Arch Linux Kernel 2.6.28-ARCH
Debian Kernel 2.6.28-6
Visit the Pantanal /MS - Brazil
Cigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 02:10   #35
E.E.L. Ambiense
Acrylic Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfun View Post
Beautiful work! Subscribed!
Thanks, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splits View Post
I know a guy whose alias is Lily and I think he might be interested in this... XD

Really nice work so far, looking forward to see it develop!
LOL, thanks man. I'm trying to get this thing done soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
Great design, great work, great photos, great worklog... It's EEL!
Thanks, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
Get back from vacation and this little gem of a log is waiting, love the looks allready!
Hahah, thanks man. Glad to give ya something to laugh at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
well i took a cup of coffee, handful of anti-hangover pills and turn on PC only to read fresh eel's update - and now my day ruined :\
LOL! Thanks, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
More high quality & fun logging from E.E.L. Ambiense.

Thank you, man!

LOL, don't listen to that crap; it'll rot your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpctech View Post
EEL must be busy....hehe

Awesome! and Our search for the Warmer Slave Rep who cares to help EEL, continues...
*click - - whirring noise* .....E.E.L.'s not here right now; if you leave your name, number and a brief message he'll reply to your post as soon as possible. Thank you, and have a very nice day. BEEEEEEEEEEEP! *click*

LOL, funny you mention that... what did you do to them, bro? LOL, the emails are hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
She HAS to love you when she get's this mod!

Looks really good man, my guess is she'll be over the moon getting a pc like this!

I had my own little rendevouz with MSI 4-5 years ago... I support you to my dying breath!
Hahaha, hey if she doesn't, I'll use it as my main rig. Thanks, man! Yeah, MSI's on "the list" for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
wow the design of the panels is really cool, subbed
Thanks, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Sweet. Windows mean you will be dressing up the insides too.
Thanks, bro. Oh yeah, definitely! Gotta make it princessely! Wait, is that a word? Sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigano View Post
It's getting pretty much your project, I admire this case from Lian-Li.
I'll follow your project!

Hugs!
Thanks, Gypsy (translated right?)!

Sure thing; I'm sexually-secure enough that I can take a hug from some other B-T'er and not worry about having my arse grabbed!
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 17:53   #36
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Don't make it TOO regal. The recipient might start referring to herself in the third person.
Hell, I might do it: We are quite pleased with the construction of this project.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 03:49   #37
Cigano
\O/

Cigano has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hi Ambiense,
Exactly, Gypsy ... is a nickname, I'm not Gypsy! or (Cigano, in portuguese)

The embrace, has nothing to do with sexual side, it's just brotherly used as a term of respect. hehehe

Most do not worry about it, okay!
Linux User#479342
Arch Linux Kernel 2.6.28-ARCH
Debian Kernel 2.6.28-6
Visit the Pantanal /MS - Brazil
Cigano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 07:13   #38
Balder
Calmer than a monk on morphine

Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Don't make it TOO regal. The recipient might start referring to herself in the third person.
Hell, I might do it: We are quite pleased with the construction of this project.
Ha, our two year old already does that, she referes to her self by name when she wants something.
Old 25th Aug 2012, 02:10   #39
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

"We demand a popsicle every 15 minutes."
Old 25th Aug 2012, 02:36   #40
Vampiel
What's a Dremel?

Vampiel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome work, can't wait to see the finished product.
Vampiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acrylic, lian li, mnpctech, paint, watercooling

View Mode