bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:08   #1
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
K2 - Video added

FINAL SHOTS - STAGE ONE

So it's been a while since K2 was finished but I recently picked up a new camera so have finally been able to make a video!

PROJECT LOG

Hey there everyone, I have been wanting to get another computer built for a while now but have never been able to find the time!

A couple of days ago I was invited to head over to Berlin for the campus party, as soon as I found out I knew that I needed a new case to take with me!

Obviously this log may not be as in depth or action packed in the beginning as I have around 5 days to finish this or at least get a working prototype up!

Plus there is always the possibility of everything going wrong and having to hold it together with duct tape for a week until I can get back from Berlin and work things out. What ever happens I'm hoping it's awesome

So without further ado, I present the K2 concept:

Simple in essence, cooled by a single radiator drawing air through the open finned design.

I had originally designed this to make use of an AIO cooler but unfortunately that wont be ready in the next week so I'll be installing a standard loop in until then.

Again; sorry for the poor pictures I'm just taking them on the phone as I go.

First up.. Safety! and a new hat that I can't wear till winter

Ok so now a random mixture of images from the last 2 days!

Set some tool paths for the CNC

And off she goes

I'm just using what ever scraps I have left over in the shop for this as its a prototype and I also don't have time to wait on a delivery.

Some 10mm stock goes under the mill for some framework.

All the fins get a coat of Graphite sparkle spray and then it's a lovely sit down in the garden to assemble.

The bottom fin set.

The radiator also got a quick coat to help it blend in.

Time for a test fit (using my wife as a wonderful assistant)

Last edited by Editor22; 19th Mar 2013 at 02:43. Reason: Title
Editor22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:12   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh very nice, really like the Design
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:14   #3
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
Hahaha You are mad if you pull this off. And you better pull it off!

Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin
p0Pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:25   #4
hoochy
Need moar cooling

hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Really like the case design, those 2 big fans at the bottom pulling air in look very nice indeed. But...5 days to complete this! woosh, i wish you the best of luck - I cant wait to see the final case, held up with duct tape or not
Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair H60 Liquid | MSI 4GB R290 Twin Frozr | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 500GB Seagate | 2 x 128GB Kingston v200 SSD | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair 650W | K60 w/ Reds | Razer Naga
hoochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 18:55   #5
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
om nom nom nom acrylic.

Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 20:11   #6
Skill3d
Multimodder

Skill3d has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice and nifty design. I like it a lot! I'm looking forward to this build.
Skill3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 22:40   #7
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
Oh very nice, really like the Design
Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
Hahaha You are mad if you pull this off. And you better pull it off!

Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin
lol should be a fun few days trying!

Going to be needing some seriously strong coffee while I'm there at this rate! was thinking of bringing a filter coffee machine but the wife's already wondering where every things going to go lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoochy View Post
Really like the case design, those 2 big fans at the bottom pulling air in look very nice indeed. But...5 days to complete this! woosh, i wish you the best of luck - I cant wait to see the final case, held up with duct tape or not
Thanks hoochy, well it's now self supporting which is always a bonus so the use of duct tape is looking less likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
om nom nom nom acrylic.

That's the sound that the CNC was making on the last photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill3d View Post
Nice and nifty design. I like it a lot! I'm looking forward to this build.
Thanks Skill

-----

So day two!

First I set up the CNC to mill out the plexi part of the motherboard tray.

Bit of a jump now... but here's the assembled motherboard / mid section

Next victim is the panel that holds the radiators and also connects the mid section to the base.

Hot off the CNC

Bit of de-burring and its a quick test fit

All together now that 5 day deadline is looking achievable

So I'll leave this update with my favourite shot of the day. Sadly you will all have to wait to find out what this block is being turned into

PS: I'm always updating the E22 Facebook page as I go throughout the day, so if your interested in watching the project come together in real time as well as keeping up to date on how I fair in Berlin head over and join the fun
Old 15th Aug 2012, 23:44   #8
SilveR_172
Supermodder

SilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSilveR_172 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Coming along double quick, you got hardware to go into it or you just building the case ?
SilveR_172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 23:49   #9
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveR_172 View Post
Coming along double quick, you got hardware to go into it or you just building the case ?
I'll just be moving across my current rig into this for the time being. Hopefully I'll find some sexy new stuff to fill it with while I'm over there
Old 16th Aug 2012, 08:10   #10
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
Wooooo Nate You are going to get BUSY!

I am at least ready for leaktesting today (at least i hope so lol!)

You will make it - I am sure of it!
Old 16th Aug 2012, 09:06   #11
Ace_finland
Multimodder

Ace_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for presidentAce_finland should be considered for president
I love all of your designs, this is no exception
Ace_finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 19:21   #12
Editor22
E22.BIZ

So day 3!

Started off by cutting the back panel out of some 5mm black plexi

Next it was time to return to that mysterious block of clear plexi from yesterday.

Checking to make sure to audio i/o fits

back panel screwed on.

finally all together contemplating using this piece of smoked plexi for the left top as the PSU should look fairly nice once its all done

---

On to the door

I made this little fellow out of some white POM and then squeezed a spacer into it to create a bracket for the door to hang on and swivel in.

The basic action is shown here in video form, this still needs a bit of work and mainly tightening up but I am waiting for the last delivery of small components

Old 16th Aug 2012, 19:48   #13
p0Pe
gief cake?

BRILLIANT! Now I also know what face to troll when arriving at berlin
Old 16th Aug 2012, 20:02   #14
Evenge
Hypermodder

Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Evenge is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great work! And good luck with your tight schedule.
Old 16th Aug 2012, 21:38   #15
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
BRILLIANT! Now I also know what face to troll when arriving at berlin
Lol I was going to wear my bright blue hat (from the safety picture) but my wife just told me she was looking forward to sun bathing in the 30deg heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenge View Post
Great work! And good luck with your tight schedule.
Thanks Evenge
Old 18th Aug 2012, 09:34   #16
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Just a quick Day 4 log update as day 5 looks to be just as hectic!

Made some support blocks to hold the smoked plexi top in place.

Fitted it in and then sanded it flush

Trying something a bit different out for the storage mounting

Needed to generate some clearance between the radiator and the panel to allow for the 180deg fitting combo I have. Grabbed a scrap piece of 10mm plexi and started hacking it up. just needs a bit more sanding and were done

After all that I finally managed to start the painting! unfortunately seeing as I have less than 48 hours to finish and box it all up I will only be able to get in 2 coats and minimal sanding between. Still it should look ok

Gloss white base

BMW graphite sparkle back

Mid section

Old 19th Aug 2012, 00:17   #17
Steve_of_Death
Minimodder

Steve_of_Death has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is looking amazing, you definitely have some real skill with plexi
Steve_of_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 01:34   #18
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_of_Death View Post
This is looking amazing, you definitely have some real skill with plexi
Thanks man

---

Well it's been a long week but here is a taste of whats to come when I can find the time to right the log

Old 19th Aug 2012, 07:58   #19
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks great... don't know what else to say

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 08:01   #20
Gentleman_Dingo
Supermodder

Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.Gentleman_Dingo is definitely a rep cheat.
More pictures and updates please!
Gentleman_Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode