bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 15th Aug 2012, 08:08   #1
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
K2 - Video added

FINAL SHOTS - STAGE ONE

So it's been a while since K2 was finished but I recently picked up a new camera so have finally been able to make a video!

PROJECT LOG

Hey there everyone, I have been wanting to get another computer built for a while now but have never been able to find the time!

A couple of days ago I was invited to head over to Berlin for the campus party, as soon as I found out I knew that I needed a new case to take with me!

Obviously this log may not be as in depth or action packed in the beginning as I have around 5 days to finish this or at least get a working prototype up!

Plus there is always the possibility of everything going wrong and having to hold it together with duct tape for a week until I can get back from Berlin and work things out. What ever happens I'm hoping it's awesome

So without further ado, I present the K2 concept:

Simple in essence, cooled by a single radiator drawing air through the open finned design.

I had originally designed this to make use of an AIO cooler but unfortunately that wont be ready in the next week so I'll be installing a standard loop in until then.

Again; sorry for the poor pictures I'm just taking them on the phone as I go.

First up.. Safety! and a new hat that I can't wear till winter

Ok so now a random mixture of images from the last 2 days!

Set some tool paths for the CNC

And off she goes

I'm just using what ever scraps I have left over in the shop for this as its a prototype and I also don't have time to wait on a delivery.

Some 10mm stock goes under the mill for some framework.

All the fins get a coat of Graphite sparkle spray and then it's a lovely sit down in the garden to assemble.

The bottom fin set.

The radiator also got a quick coat to help it blend in.

Time for a test fit (using my wife as a wonderful assistant)

Last edited by Editor22; 19th Mar 2013 at 02:43. Reason: Title
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 22:40   #2
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
Oh very nice, really like the Design
Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
Hahaha You are mad if you pull this off. And you better pull it off!

Looking forward to meeting you in Berlin
lol should be a fun few days trying!

Going to be needing some seriously strong coffee while I'm there at this rate! was thinking of bringing a filter coffee machine but the wife's already wondering where every things going to go lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoochy View Post
Really like the case design, those 2 big fans at the bottom pulling air in look very nice indeed. But...5 days to complete this! woosh, i wish you the best of luck - I cant wait to see the final case, held up with duct tape or not
Thanks hoochy, well it's now self supporting which is always a bonus so the use of duct tape is looking less likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
om nom nom nom acrylic.

That's the sound that the CNC was making on the last photo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill3d View Post
Nice and nifty design. I like it a lot! I'm looking forward to this build.
Thanks Skill

-----

So day two!

First I set up the CNC to mill out the plexi part of the motherboard tray.

Bit of a jump now... but here's the assembled motherboard / mid section

Next victim is the panel that holds the radiators and also connects the mid section to the base.

Hot off the CNC

Bit of de-burring and its a quick test fit

All together now that 5 day deadline is looking achievable

So I'll leave this update with my favourite shot of the day. Sadly you will all have to wait to find out what this block is being turned into

PS: I'm always updating the E22 Facebook page as I go throughout the day, so if your interested in watching the project come together in real time as well as keeping up to date on how I fair in Berlin head over and join the fun
Old 15th Aug 2012, 23:49   #3
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveR_172 View Post
Coming along double quick, you got hardware to go into it or you just building the case ?
I'll just be moving across my current rig into this for the time being. Hopefully I'll find some sexy new stuff to fill it with while I'm over there
Old 16th Aug 2012, 19:21   #4
Editor22
E22.BIZ

So day 3!

Started off by cutting the back panel out of some 5mm black plexi

Next it was time to return to that mysterious block of clear plexi from yesterday.

Checking to make sure to audio i/o fits

back panel screwed on.

finally all together contemplating using this piece of smoked plexi for the left top as the PSU should look fairly nice once its all done

---

On to the door

I made this little fellow out of some white POM and then squeezed a spacer into it to create a bracket for the door to hang on and swivel in.

The basic action is shown here in video form, this still needs a bit of work and mainly tightening up but I am waiting for the last delivery of small components

Old 16th Aug 2012, 21:38   #5
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
BRILLIANT! Now I also know what face to troll when arriving at berlin
Lol I was going to wear my bright blue hat (from the safety picture) but my wife just told me she was looking forward to sun bathing in the 30deg heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenge View Post
Great work! And good luck with your tight schedule.
Thanks Evenge
Old 18th Aug 2012, 09:34   #6
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Just a quick Day 4 log update as day 5 looks to be just as hectic!

Made some support blocks to hold the smoked plexi top in place.

Fitted it in and then sanded it flush

Trying something a bit different out for the storage mounting

Needed to generate some clearance between the radiator and the panel to allow for the 180deg fitting combo I have. Grabbed a scrap piece of 10mm plexi and started hacking it up. just needs a bit more sanding and were done

After all that I finally managed to start the painting! unfortunately seeing as I have less than 48 hours to finish and box it all up I will only be able to get in 2 coats and minimal sanding between. Still it should look ok

Gloss white base

BMW graphite sparkle back

Mid section

Old 19th Aug 2012, 01:34   #7
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_of_Death View Post
This is looking amazing, you definitely have some real skill with plexi
Thanks man

---

Well it's been a long week but here is a taste of whats to come when I can find the time to right the log

Old 19th Aug 2012, 10:00   #8
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post
Looks great... don't know what else to say
Thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfun View Post
More pictures and updates please!
I will hopefully have time to update it later today
Old 19th Aug 2012, 10:23   #9
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p View Post
I'm actually checking facebook all week for updates Love what you're doing and with that speed .....
Thanks Peter not sure I'll be much good for anything for a few days now though.. was a bit to hectic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruairi View Post
Droool, I need more foters
one more coming up and then I'm turning her off for final touches :P

Quote:
I cannot wait to see this complete. I still cannot believe you manage this in 5 days! Good job
Thanks hoochy other than a side panel the actual case is now 100% finished just all the insides that will have to wait until I return

---

bit more of a full shot from last night

Old 19th Aug 2012, 18:48   #10
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
CNC, maybe someday, it's ridiculously faster with precision than manual, but requires all the attention to detail on every tiny bit of design so it all works right, love the flip up side top panel, very nice indeed, looks super smooth in operation.

This is great Nate & glad to see a new project from you, could be in danger of it shooting through the logs section too fast without some noticing though but hopefully not.

Oh yeah, stars & rep
Thanks dude, this will most likely just fall through the cracks of bit-tech logs for a while until I find the time to finish it off with new hardware Meanwhile working on the revised version of course!

---

Just a couple of pictures to show you all before I pack all this away and get ready for a week long GEEKFEST!!

Old 19th Aug 2012, 22:07   #11
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
I know exactly what you're talking about, spend my complete 3 weeks vacation on 2 builds with their buildlogs

Stars and Rep for you man!
Thanks man it's really tough doing something you love doing sometimes. I don't think I have actually really seen the wife for the past few days lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm View Post
Awesome looking build! Personally prefer the shots without the leds
Thanks George, I'm not keen on the blue lighting to be honest but my new fans and power switch which were white leds were held back (for no reason!) so in the end I just had to use what I had available. I'll get it all changed once I get back and the new parts arrive
Old 20th Aug 2012, 14:33   #12
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetalar View Post
such great build for just 5 dayz??? imposible!!!
*looks sceptic at monitor*
now i know what to tell those builders...
great job!
Lol go get em! Damn. Builders always lookin for excuses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
That's awesoooome dude !!!!!
Cheers Guille

Quote:
Originally Posted by quizz_kid View Post
A CNC machine would be nice, lots of YEAS! And thatīs a very nice case. Usually I donīt like acrylic builds, but that design is very clever... and yeah, youīre fast!
Thanks quizz kid, I was really trying to get away from the acrylic feel so I'm glad I did
Old 21st Aug 2012, 16:50   #13
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelobee View Post
clean and superfast build +1
Thanks, Meelobee

Quote:
Is this like the most awesome case ever done in such a short time, not sure but think it might be.

No messing about.
Lol cheers wayne! hopefully it will be worth it and not get trashed in the first two days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoozen View Post
canīt wait to see it live tomorrow!!!
Thanks man, I'm just chilling out on the end of one of the desks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I just missed the whole log some how..this is brilliant, the design just works so well..Top modding dude
Thank you jeff, easy to miss it though I think it started like 6 days ago and now it's just about ready to be unboxed in Berlin :P

Quote:
Yep its official - this is one of my favourite mods I have seen on this site since I have been a member. I especially relate as I have expirience of having to deliver physical models on a short deadline and apprechiate the presure you must of been under to get a project like this done!

Hope you have a good time at LAN
Thanks a lot Hoochy! deadlines are fun but I have to admit I'm feeling a little dead now lol
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 07:16   #14
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Thought you guys may want to see some shots from the first day at Campus party Berlin

Old 23rd Aug 2012, 08:44   #15
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoSoVaR^ View Post
i wanna see more !
Quote:
Yeah man, I can see Project White there.
Moar!
Quote:
Exactly why i wanna se more, maybe there are some other awsome thing over there
I'll do a full little tour maybe today or tomorrow we do have a nice little bunch here!

Myself with K2
Alain with white
Pope with M8 & Beto (a friend is using Beto)
Paslis with DeskArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
That was all too fast. My head is spinning. -Lots of wonderful ideas to steal. Like the push fit bushings and dovetail HD mounts, BTW.
Overall, you did an excellent job. For 5 days I'd say insanely excellent.
I adore the overall design and I can't wait to see it in more detail.
Thanks cheaps as always use what ever you want dude! think I'll take my time on the next stages lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmannen View Post
wow! it's a really spectacular build! fantastic finish in ONLY 5 days!! incredible!
thanks Kelmannen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigano View Post
Loved this project, different and very original!
Congratulations, and good fun with new modding!

Sorry my bad English!

Hugs!!

Thanks Cigano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrek View Post
can you post a couple more pictures of your HDD mounts? i'm interested in what you did there.
Also, very well done - a very unique and clean look. i like it very much.
Thanks Karrek, I can get some better shots up once I get home and actually finish off the log!
Old 24th Aug 2012, 09:32   #16
Editor22
E22.BIZ

K2 and the some of the other awesome mods here get a little video action around 1:50 on the official campus party video.

Old 28th Aug 2012, 11:53   #17
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Well I arrived home yesterday and after an AWESOME sleep and shower it's time to get cracking on the final design and alterations for K2

Thanks to the guys at campus party for voting K2 as third in the Case construction category.

From left to right

Paslis - Me - pOPe - Kriss - Jani from Metku.net - alain-s

It was a fantastic experience and I met some great people!
Old 30th Aug 2012, 15:50   #18
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
Awesome! Well done guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveR_172 View Post
Brilliant ! well done !
Quote:
Congrats to all of you guys!
Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslis View Post
Was nice to meet you and your wife and hopefully we there again next year.Cant wait to see K2 finisht.
you to mate, shame we have to wait a year to catch up again lol

Quote:
Congratz

Quote:
Wish I came looks like you all had a gooden, if the opportunity comes along again I'll have a few beers instead of think about it, get my passport sorted & say hell yes, count me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
Count me in as well! I had a chat with pOPe yesterday, and I really regret not going! If nothing else, then just for 3-4 days instead of a full week!
you guys should definitely come along next time! there was a lot less of us "hardcore" modders than we expected so it was a pretty tight little group to mess around with

---

Just made a "short" little video to give a bit more detail of K2 and what direction it's heading

ps; I am no video editor! something I'm working on but still a looong way off

Old 31st Aug 2012, 09:06   #19
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Sounds good mate Now get onto it and work!

And thanks for the trip! It was great to meet you two!

waaapisssh....... I am working

Likewise, we both had an awesome time and figured if only we could stay up later we would have probably been Danes in a previous life lol.
Old 1st Sep 2012, 10:21   #20
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Nice work and nice vid dude. Looking out for the refinements.

Thanks Atilla

---

Just messing about in photoshop :P anyone have a preference?

View Mode