bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Aug 2012, 22:52   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
C&C: Generals 2 changes, goes free-to-play

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...free-to-play/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2012, 23:20   #2
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I was really looking foward to Generals 2....now I'm not so sure. F2P might as well mean you start off with a tank that you need to spend money on before it gets a .50cal or smoke launcher
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 04:57   #3
AndyBradley_0255
What's a Dremel?

AndyBradley_0255 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Speaking as an old school massive fan of early C&C games... EA have more or less completely ruined the C&C franchise over recent years, dont get me started on C&C4 and RA3. Im not particularly looking forward to this, although will be interesting to see how it turns out. But as XXAOSICXX stated above and knowing what EA is like, winners will probably end up being those who throw endless 's at the game.
AndyBradley_0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 05:14   #4
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
...and now I'm scared of something awful.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 07:29   #5
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Shortening my TL DR post;

Many people will have already had a "winner" F2P that they sank money into; in my case, Tribes. Being EA, I bet a large group of gamers would stay F2P and never pay out of spite and being hacked off at having to use Origin.

I'm also worried they will cripple the SP and just make it a training mode for MP as with Battlefield, rather than the properly constructed campaigns we used to get. They must have looked at Activision's ability to re-re-resell maps in packs for CoD and look at that as a revenue stream alongside weapons. We'll find out next Spring. It just takes one guaranteed purchase off the list anyway, so there's only Crysis 3 to pick up in that time of year.

Last edited by NethLyn; 16th Aug 2012 at 07:41.
NethLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 09:04   #6
xtoxm
What's a Dremel?

xtoxm has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope the single player is as good as the last generals (and like the rest of C&C for that matter) and it doesnt just force you into online stuff. If so, it'll be ruined. Wont pre-order this as im going to wait for reviews and see some game play.

I dont mind using Origin just as i dont mind using Steam it has to be said though.
xtoxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 09:06   #7
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
it was all about the first Red Alert. Might have to dig it out and give my bro a thrashing at some point...
Old 16th Aug 2012, 09:12   #8
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
i'm calling it now:
-require Origin
-CommanderLog (CnC version of Battlelog)
-pay for General Premium to play 75% of the content
-singleplayer with RPG elements (Bioware)
-reduced focus on base building (CnC4)
Old 16th Aug 2012, 10:29   #9
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
*sigh*
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 10:29   #10
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh, there is no single player either...
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 10:49   #11
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ai! was so excited, and now i must pay more for the same game with the free to play sticker on it. insult to injury!
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 13:30   #12
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If it has no large single player campaigns it will be the end of a era for me
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 13:37   #13
CorePrime
What's a Dremel?

CorePrime has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not what I wanted to hear. Fail.
CorePrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 15:01   #14
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just make a good C&C you tools
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 20:15   #15
D0N
What's a Dremel?

D0N has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Gutted, i love C&C but i hate free to play. Id rather by a full game and have everything i need in it. Ruined this for me.
NethLyn none of the battlefield games had a single player campaign until bad company one on
console and bad company two on pc. The single player was just the multiplayer maps with bots before this.
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Aug 2012, 20:16   #16
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
If it has no large single player campaigns it will be the end of a era for me
+1, I wouldn't even waste electricity and bandwidth to download it if it gets that bad.
Old 16th Aug 2012, 20:24   #17
D0N
What's a Dremel?

D0N has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Was looking forward to this, not now. Definetly end of an era if there is no massive singleplayer campaign. Or maybe even worse if there is but it requires micro transactions to complete the bonus parts of mission.

Also battlefield never had a singleplayer campaign until bad company 2 on pc, the single player before this was just the multiplayer maps with bots.
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2012, 07:50   #18
r4tch3t
hmmmm....

r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.r4tch3t is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I never played the C & C games online, loved playing the campaigns and playing at LANs, Knowing EA, what wuyanxu said will be true, many stupid restrictions, you need to pay more than what a normal game is worth to play it properly.

However if they release it on Steam F2P and have DLC for the full single player campaigns I may be tempted. God I hate EA.
Old 17th Aug 2012, 09:09   #19
Anfield
Supermodder

Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Anfield - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i'd rip c&c, but for me c&c 4 wad bad enough altrady to not bother with it.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote