bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 19th Aug 2012, 18:31   #1
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
CaseMod: TARDIS - FINISHED!!!

Well at the request of a good friend, I have decided to build a 1/4 scale CaseMod of the Newbery TARDIS.

What is a TARDIS and what is a Newbery TARDIS... Well... I'm sorry, but you must be new to Science Fiction!!! TARDIS is an acronym and stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space and is the cornerstone of the Dr. Who series.

The Newbery TARDIS is the TARDIS created by Barry Newbery for Season 14 and was used until Season 18. Thank you to http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/tardis-police-box.html for an extensive look at the four decades of TARDISs.

This is the one we will be building for my friend in Australia.

Pfaffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 19:55   #2
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Pfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run CrysisPfaffen can run Crysis
This CaseMod will be a little different from the others. It is being built to house an Asrock Ion 330.

Here are some shots of the prototype in foam board. Both of the TARDIS and the Ion 330.

Old 19th Aug 2012, 22:48   #3
Pfaffen
Supermodder

For those who wanted to know:

THE BRACKACKI BOX (1963-1976)
THE BARRY NEWBERY BOX (1977-1980)
THE TOM YARDLEY-JONES BOX - Mk I & II (1981-1989)
THE RICHARD HUDOLIN BOX (1996)
THE EDWARD THOMAS BOX (2005-)
Old 20th Aug 2012, 11:30   #4
Balder
Calmer than a monk on morphine

Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Balder is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
as a new fan of Dr Who (that is I started watching with the 2005 season) this is a must to follow!
Old 21st Aug 2012, 02:12   #5
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Starting out simple, here is the base. I found it very worthwhile to draw 1:1 on the base. The corner marks are visible

Here is a closeup. It shows the swing of the door.

Old 21st Aug 2012, 03:42   #6
TekLord
Tek by Design

TekLord has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You had me at TARDIS.
TekLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 06:59   #7
Steve_of_Death
Minimodder

Steve_of_Death has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I look forward to seeing this completed
Steve_of_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 09:54   #8
Pranja
Blackwolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
After it is finished,you can put a cat dressed as a Dr. Who inside.

Just kidding, great build, can't wait to see more.
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 23:47   #9
Pfaffen
Supermodder

So, we start with the doors.

I am using hard maple for the case. You'll also see some MDF (base and roof) as well as some other thin plywoods.

Second and third pass through the planer.

Now that all the faces are flat and smothe time to cut to rough length. 3 panels should do it.

The TARDIS has four side and each side has two doors. Well then that is 16 stiles and.... some extra.

Voila!

Now for some rabbets!

and now for the rails, well 9 of them. They will all be cut in half to make 16 rails.

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 23:32   #10
Pfaffen
Supermodder

I found this very useful from themindrobber.co.uk

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 23:44   #11
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Now to cut the tenons on the rails. I build the jig because I did not want my fingers that close to the blade. (I had an issue back on the WorldMap build) cut my left index finger on the tablesaw with a plexiglass blade. Eight stitches if I remember correctly.

Here you can see some of the finished ones and those with the shoulders cut.

Here they are all stacked up.

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 23:53   #12
whatsthatnoise
Modder

whatsthatnoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good idea for a case. Make sure it's as indestructible as the real deal!
whatsthatnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 00:06   #13
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
as a new fan of Dr Who (that is I started watching with the 2005 season) this is a must to follow!
GREAT!!! Welcome to the Dr. Who family!!
Old 24th Aug 2012, 04:21   #14
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
COOL! but can you bring yourself to paint that lovely wood?
...Blue stain maybe?
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 16:13   #15
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
COOL! but can you bring yourself to paint that lovely wood?
...Blue stain maybe?
Cheapskate, somethings require sacrifice.

I'm sure I can find some blue dye... maybe I should try that out.
Old 24th Aug 2012, 16:25   #16
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
I would agree... why use hard maple if you're just going to paint it?

I think when I was looking at TransTint dyes for something, I remember seeing a blue... I'll see if I can find it. (Though I don't know where you are)
Edit: http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct.../TransTint.htm Has an example down the page a little ways
Mosquito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 23:57   #17
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I would agree... why use hard maple if you're just going to paint it?

I think when I was looking at TransTint dyes for something, I remember seeing a blue... I'll see if I can find it. (Though I don't know where you are)
Edit: http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct.../TransTint.htm Has an example down the page a little ways
Sorry,

The reason for the hard maple is because I have alot of it. I bought about $100 worth of it 2 years ago and it has sat in my shop. The project I wanted it for didn't happen. So... why not.

Before I planed it, I thought of buidling then entire thing out of wood and then use a clear finish and make it a "Wooden" TARDIS, but then, after a quick conversation. Decided to go with the traditional Blue.
Old 25th Aug 2012, 00:01   #18
Pfaffen
Supermodder

On to the bevel on the doors.

I used a 45' mitre bit to carve out the bevel on the rails and stiles. I established the start cut and end cut lines and cut to them.

Here are all 8 doors dry-fitted.

Still have the corners to clean up. I'll carefully have to cut with the rail angle and then the stile angle. A little at a time.
Old 26th Aug 2012, 16:42   #19
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Here is the jig to hold the doors in place.

Door in place.

Corner cleaned up.

Old 28th Aug 2012, 02:18   #20
Pfaffen
Supermodder

Here are the cross pieces on the doors. Best if I show them in sequence.

View Mode