bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 8th Sep 2012, 13:59   #41
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baguette View Post
I'd definitely go for option one for all exterior. It looks much cleaner, and the accents of the weathered items on the inside will pop much more! (Notice the rads on the side, I love the way their coor blends with the leather)
As for the inside, that's a tough call...keeping option 1 isn't something I'd do, since it's just too dark...I'm leaning for option 3 on mobo armor. Let's see what the other folks have to say!
Thanks! Someone brought up that the leather may heat the mobo up too much so I'm actually going to paint it with rust to match the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
OM NOM NOM .... steampunk, tuuuuuubes, metal, rust and leather !! Wad' a perfect combo. I vote for option 1 too .

I'll keep a good eye on this project
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarakon View Post
Option 1 on the outside and option 3 on the mobo
Thanks!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to vote!! Its pretty much come down to 1 and 3 where where the 2 that I liked to begin with. I'm going to go with option 1 because it is a bit more subtle and it won't take your attention away from the accent parts that I'll be painting. Some people have expressed concern with putting leather on the armor as it would heat up the mobo too much. The Sabertooth P67 is already a hot mobo to begin with and adding another layer of insulation might not be the best idea so I'm painting it to match the interior of the case.

A modding update is coming very soon!
Old 8th Sep 2012, 15:41   #42
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for president
I guess you are right bout the temps, but the 3rd leather option would have looked really cool on the mobo
Old 8th Sep 2012, 17:20   #43
Baguette
Multimodder

Baguette has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How are you going to paint the plastic to match the rust? Oh well, you're already a finish magician, so I'm sure you'll come up with something :P
Baguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 07:15   #44
Fuganater
Supermodder

Fuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run CrysisFuganater can run Crysis
Quote:
I guess you are right bout the temps, but the 3rd leather option would have looked really cool on the mobo
Quote:
How are you going to paint the plastic to match the rust? Oh well, you're already a finish magician, so I'm sure you'll come up with something :P
I just painted it the same way. I'm about to post an update so you will see
Old 9th Sep 2012, 07:40   #45
Fuganater
Supermodder

I got tons of work done so this update might be a bit big.... sorry but at least it has lots of pictures for you

Up first is the 50mm assist fan for the mobo.

You can see that the cable is quite long. So I need to fix that.

After I got it to the correct length I plugged it in and the wire instantly broke at the connector.

So I did it again thinking I screwed up but it happened again! So the fan is in the trash now and I ordered a new one from Xoxide and hopefully it will be better quality.

I cut and straightened out the part of the thermal armor by the MOS block. Looks good now.

Here is a shot of the RAM. Nice Corsair Dominator!

I wanted to do a test fit so here are all the blocks on the mobo.

Time for some sleeving so I got out my trusty box of MDPC-X sleeving and went to work. This color works best I think to kinda match the rust.

Next I painted the 360 and 240 rad, mounted the grills and fans on them and sleeved the fans. I'm short a few fans and fan grills so the 240 does not have them on it yet.

I also painted the XSPC rad brackets.

I've heard good things about the LutroO sleeving tool so I figured I'd pick one up and try it out. I'll be using it for the PSU sleeving.

Since I decided to paint the thermal armor to match the interior of the case I wanted to remove some of the little indentations on it. So I got out the Bondo and lathered it on.

Next I sanded it down just a little bit because I wanted to keep some of the imperfections.

I then coated it with primer and the iron paint.

And here it is after a few coats of the rust solution stuff.

Put some clear coat on and put it back on the mobo.

That's all for this update.

Here is what I'm currently waiting for to arrive:
Gold paint
Spray adhesive
50mm Fan
120mm Fan grills
Lamptron FC10

I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of right now. I'm travelling for the next few days so I probably won't have any work done till next weekend. Hope your enjoying the mod.

Cheers till next time,

Fuga
Old 9th Sep 2012, 09:21   #46
Baguette
Multimodder

Baguette has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You have indeed found a solution that ended up being better than the original leather thing!
Quite surprisingly, this looks very clean! XD
Baguette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 10:01   #47
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
I am liking this more and more! Your rust treatment looks very convincing.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 10:10   #48
Pranja
Crazy Wolf

Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Pranja is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This looks great.

Will you put rust on WC blocks?
Pranja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 11:55   #49
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for president
That looks really great!!
Old 9th Sep 2012, 14:21   #50
Liighthead
What's a Dremel?

Liighthead has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
very nice work sir
Liighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 15:52   #51
Vetalar
*learning english*

Vetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the DremelVetalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
now that light ram locks is out of color...
Vetalar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Sep 2012, 16:46   #52
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.Mechh69 is definitely a rep cheat.
The mod looks great so far nice thinking out of the box. I have one concern, let's just say you missed a little clear coat on the MOBO cover. Are there steel parts on the MOBO that may rust? Just a thought. Another thought is covering all of those holes in the Armor will that not raise the temp of the MB and some of the parts under it? It may cause issues is my point.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 20:41   #53
Fuganater
Supermodder

Quote:
You have indeed found a solution that ended up being better than the original leather thing!
Quite surprisingly, this looks very clean! XD
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
I am liking this more and more! Your rust treatment looks very convincing.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranja View Post
This looks great.

Will you put rust on WC blocks?
Thanks. No, the WC blocks will be painted gold so that they stand out. (Not 100% decided yet though...)

Quote:
That looks really great!!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liighthead View Post
very nice work sir
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechh69 View Post
The mod looks great so far nice thinking out of the box. I have one concern, let's just say you missed a little clear coat on the MOBO cover. Are there steel parts on the MOBO that may rust? Just a thought. Another thought is covering all of those holes in the Armor will that not raise the temp of the MB and some of the parts under it? It may cause issues is my point.
I got the entire underside of the thermal armor coated with clear coat where it touches the mobo so no worries there. Heat will not be an issue. I will have the assistant fan installed which keeps the temps down. + I am keeping the 2x 180mm fans installed in the TJ11 which move a ton of air.
Old 12th Sep 2012, 20:51   #54
Elladan
Modder

Elladan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wahouu!! just awesome job !! Can't wait to see it finished
Elladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 23:03   #55
oliverr97
Multimodder

oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
This is looking great, keep up the good work
Cm Storm Enforcer|Intel i5-2500k|Asus p8p67 pro|8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP Blue1600mhz|EVGA GTX 460 1gb| Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro|Corsair Force 3 60gb SSD|Hitachi 1tb Hard Drive| Windows 7 Professional|
oliverr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Sep 2012, 21:57   #56
nagyizom
Supermodder

nagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome project so far, I'll keep my eyes on this!

Previous mods: |Sandcrawler Mod| |Illuminated Mind| |Graphite5|

Follow me on Facebook
nagyizom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:51   #57
xSoMBrAx
Supermodder

xSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the DremelxSoMBrAx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks very nice!

I think you should invest on a crimper so you could solve the problem with the wire and the connector by building a brand new one instead of ordering new fan!

Keep it up!

Follow me on Facebook!
xSoMBrAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2012, 08:01   #58
rchiileea
Multimodder

rchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremelrchiileea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Keep up the good work, I found it so hard to decide if i was happy with a worn used look, god knows how your doing it with a rust look, it would probs take me about a week to get happy with each part.... I constantly found myself adjusting and thinking does that look right and that is just with a worn look.

Liking this so far
rchiileea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 13:19   #59
Fuganater
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan View Post
Wahouu!! just awesome job !! Can't wait to see it finished
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverr97 View Post
This is looking great, keep up the good work
I'll try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyizom View Post
Awesome project so far, I'll keep my eyes on this!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoMBrAx View Post
Looks very nice!

I think you should invest on a crimper so you could solve the problem with the wire and the connector by building a brand new one instead of ordering new fan!

Keep it up!
I think it was just a cheap crappy fan. The crimper that I have works fine on all other things I have made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiileea View Post
Keep up the good work, I found it so hard to decide if i was happy with a worn used look, god knows how your doing it with a rust look, it would probs take me about a week to get happy with each part.... I constantly found myself adjusting and thinking does that look right and that is just with a worn look.

Liking this so far
Thanks. I like it more and more each day.

Hopefully I have time to post an update tonight.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 19:25   #60
whyte
Multimodder

whyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremelwhyte has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really hope you do... having a difficult time containing anticipation....

View Mode