bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 30th Aug 2012, 16:15   #21
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthatnoise View Post
Woaah, I hate that egocentric maniac!
He's hilarious, especially when he gets the Yorkshire accent kicking off when talking about his childhood.
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 16:20   #22
M_D_K
Kiteninja

M_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Am looking at getting one of these cases for work , looking good so far.

I too work in engineering why exactly could they not cut the side panel ?
Old 30th Aug 2012, 17:14   #23
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_K View Post
Am looking at getting one of these cases for work , looking good so far.

I too work in engineering why exactly could they not cut the side panel ?

So - basically to get it CNC milled would require the use of small diameter cutters - more expensive due to time and possible tool breakage.

looked into Laser cutting - but the width of the remaining metal was too thin.

anyway i have been talking to a mate with a mill and have a plan which I think will look better in the end

So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy casemod
JitsuSparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 19:33   #24
whatsthatnoise
Modder

whatsthatnoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitsuSparty View Post
So - basically to get it CNC milled would require the use of small diameter cutters - more expensive due to time and possible tool breakage.

looked into Laser cutting - but the width of the remaining metal was too thin.

anyway i have been talking to a mate with a mill and have a plan which I think will look better in the end
Makes sense, but you could simply edit the outline of the cutout in Photoshop. It should also be able to set up the laser cutter to go along the inside of a line not the middle of it, which leaves more material left standing, too.
whatsthatnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 21:24   #25
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Share your idea mate otherwise I won't be able to shake this image:

Old 30th Aug 2012, 21:36   #26
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.JitsuSparty is definitely a rep cheat.
Thanks for the new avatar - as for my idea I am doing some sketches so I can show you guys tomorrow... I would rather make you wait then put a half assed update out

Old 31st Aug 2012, 15:40   #27
adidan
CPC_refugee

Quote:
Thanks for the new avatar - as for my idea I am doing some sketches so I can show you guys tomorrow... I would rather make you wait then put a half assed update out
You're welcome.

Sketches. I like sketches.
Old 31st Aug 2012, 16:58   #28
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Apologies today's update is postponed until tomorrow due to being at the oval watching cricket

Old 31st Aug 2012, 18:39   #29
adidan
CPC_refugee

Quote:
Apologies today's update is postponed until tomorrow due to being at the oval watching cricket
That is a more than adequate reason.
Old 1st Sep 2012, 14:57   #30
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Update 1/9/12

right so firstly an apology - I havent been able to actually physically advance the mod between the last update and this one - I should be able to make some progress next week as my mates mill will be available. However, I now have a set of designs firmed up:

so these two images show my intended mod in almost all the detail. Starting with the 1st side:

I plan to cut a O hole of ~ 9 cm diameter in the centre of the case (the dashed line), then cutting a piece of acrylic (possibly coloured) to just under this diameter. This will then be held in the centre of the hole with locking strip.

The 'phoenix' motif I plan to get made into a custom decal to go on the inside of the acrylic - which can then be back light from within the case. the ring around this I plan to cut through the case - to provide some ventilation.

the other side has the window (the hole needs to be finished cut), on which i plan to have another custom decal - this time as an etch. The wording above will be painted on top of the powder coating.

anyway I have also marked up the acrylic I have and hope to cut it tonight/tomorrow

So that's an update - sorry this mod will be slow as I can't always afford stuff right away and this mod is also unsponsored - as such may be a month or two before I can even think about putting components into it.

Anyway thanks for listening

Last edited by JitsuSparty; 15th Sep 2012 at 16:34.
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 10:41   #31
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Update 2/9/12

So quick update. Tried to cut the acrylic window to size yesterday and well I'm glad I started with a test cut on a piece of scrap - as it decided to crack badly so waiting to borrow a few tools from a mate on Monday.

Anyway going to order rest of the materials I need to finish the case today

That's all for now folks

Old 2nd Sep 2012, 10:58   #32
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Can't wait to see those acrylic pieces!
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=207889 - Motm nominee
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Angel OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 12:11   #33
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD View Post
Can't wait to see those acrylic pieces!
I may have taken out my frustration on the poor remaining piece of acrylic:

oh and just spent an hour resizing editing all the pics

Old 2nd Sep 2012, 12:17   #34
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Angel OD - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Yeah, that's the problem with acrylic... Lexan/polycarbonate does not explode like that, which is why I almost always use that in stead!
The Theory of Everything http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=219504 - Motm WINNER!
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 12:19   #35
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

oh it didn't explode, I may have got a bit over enthusiastic with a hack saw/dremel knock off

Old 2nd Sep 2012, 13:22   #36
whatsthatnoise
Modder

whatsthatnoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
oh it didn't explode, I may have got a bit over enthusiastic with a hack saw/dremel knock off
"Oh what's that? A crack? ... WHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT T F!!!! Take THIS and THIS and .... AAAAHHH...."

Ooops, looks Damaged.

There's nothing like getting a bit carried away on a shiny day.

whatsthatnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 16:51   #37
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthatnoise View Post
"Oh what's that? A crack? ... WHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT T F!!!! Take THIS and THIS and .... AAAAHHH...."

Ooops, looks Damaged.

There's nothing like getting a bit carried away on a shiny day.

That was my point! Lexan/polycarbonate would not have reacted like that. Not the crack, nor the aftermath!
I do, however, believe that your comment was worth JitsuSparty's misfortune!
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 17:05   #38
adidan
CPC_refugee

Quote:
crack badly
That sucks mate but I'm glad you mention it.

I've yet to do a case mod/scratch build and most of the ones I read generally go along the lines of - had a great idea, cut this stuff out perfectly, created this beautiful piece of furniture/pc and life is groovy.

I knew it couldn't be that straight forward.

Chin up mate.
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 17:10   #39
JitsuSparty
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidan View Post
That sucks mate but I'm glad you mention it.

I've yet to do a case mod/scratch build and most of the ones I read generally go along the lines of - had a great idea, cut this stuff out perfectly, created this beautiful piece of furniture/pc and life is groovy.

I knew it couldn't be that straight forward.

Chin up mate.
Well I started out with an ok idea developed into what I think is a great idea, spent quite some time sketching/planning/dreaming. Then when I actually bought some stuff made sure I had enough then some - I bought twice as much acrylic as I needed just because I knew i hadnt used it before and breakages would happen.

one thing I will stress to anyone planning on doing anything get some safety specs and wear them.

Old 2nd Sep 2012, 17:23   #40
Angel OD
Pump Killer

Quote:
get some safety specs and wear them.
Have some rep on that point!

Tags
bitfenix prodigy, case mod, window

View Mode