bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 26th Aug 2012, 23:08   #1
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Just A-PC - Completed - 05 April, 2013

Ok, it's been long enough since I did a computer case... I was waiting for my RasPi to show up, but in the mean time, another little system I was watching came up for sale before I got my RasPi. This is an APC motherboard. It's Neo-ITX. SlipperySkip did a pre-release case for it a little while ago. I wanted to build a case, but I wanted to do something different. I didn't want to be too similar to other things I've seen so I came up with something I like, and set off...

And speaking of setting off...

Used my little Stanley 101 block plane to knock off the corner. It's such a fun little plane, I love using it. It came from my grandfather, and I just cleaned it and sharpened it up a bit.

That's all I've got to share for now. Thanks for checking it out

Last edited by Mosquito; 5th Apr 2013 at 13:59.
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 19:50   #2
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
Update 30, Aug 2012

A few more pictures of progress.

Here I made some marks on the gluing surfaces so I could make sure I sanded them all even

And this is why I did it. As you can see, it wasn't all flat after gluing (to be expected)

I also glued in 2 supports for the top piece as well
Old 30th Aug 2012, 21:34   #3
Karrek
Multimodder

Karrek has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ha. I like the hand tools! And that you are working in a carpeted room... a true home workshop. :-)
Karrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 21:55   #4
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Karrek. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment by myself. I put a canvas tarp over the carpet in the second bedroom so I can take it outside and shake it out from time to time Power tools are at my parents' place, until I have a garage of my own to work in. Even then I think I might stick to hand tools as much as possible... it's more fun and satisfying
Old 31st Aug 2012, 11:52   #5
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nics start subd
Old 31st Aug 2012, 19:08   #6
slipperyskip
Decade Club

slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!slipperyskip - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Cool!
slipperyskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2012, 19:28   #7
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks bluc and SlipperySkip.

Had a few other little projects crop up (got some fresh 100+ year old tools to clean up and put back to use), so this one was put on the side burner for the past week. I need to come up with a base and a means of keeping the top attached (in the works), then time for the veneer. Busy weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to return to it next week
Old 1st Sep 2012, 22:45   #8
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
New mosquito project nice start & like the shape.

Awesome blackout modding.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 00:42   #9
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Waynio I wanted to do something a little different, so I figured instead of 90 degree angles, I'd do 60's and 120's instead

blackout modding? Not sure what that means
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 01:10   #10
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
blackout modding? Not sure what that means
Something I made up a while ago when seeing people do full projects without power tools.

I want to do one some time as an extra challenging project.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Sep 2012, 03:48   #11
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Ok, works for me It can make things more interesting, that's for sure...
Old 4th Sep 2012, 16:14   #12
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update - 4th, Sept 2012

I found a little bit of time this weekend, so I decided to get a little work done on the case.

I spent a little time with the little block plane again to chamfer the edges on some cherry to make the base.

I then cut a piece off a large oak dowel at the same angles as the sides. I cut it by hand, so I was quite surprised with the results on my first try.

About as close a match as I'd probably ever get by hand, with out a miter saw.
And finally, I drilled a hole through the oak dowel, and made a recess in the cherry for the dowel to fit. I used my bit and brace for this, so as to keep with the lack of power tools. First time I used my adjustable width bit in my brace... Not sure I'll do that again, I think next time I'd just go with the forstner bit in the cordless drill The 1/2" hole drilled in the oak wasn't so bad, but the 1 1/4" recess in the cherry was more on the annoying side...

It's taped for now, so I could mark the outline of it for drilling holes later.
Thanks for checking it out. Hope to have more later this week.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 20:22   #13
avolla
Hackintosher

avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.avolla is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks good so far saxy. Do you know how you're doing the power buttons yet? Using your original idea or something new?
avolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 20:26   #14
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Austin, I intend to go with my original plan, but it didn't quite fit as would have been ideal, so I made the 2-tier base. I would have already done it, but the bit for my brace in the correct size was not sharp at all, so I have to sharpen that up before I get to it.
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 02:32   #15
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Update 22, Sept

Old 23rd Sep 2012, 02:35   #16
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks great nice work.
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 05:41   #17
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Nice project so far love the use of old tools. How big /small is that board?

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 06:11   #18
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluc View Post
Looks great nice work.
Thanks Bluc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechh69 View Post
Nice project so far love the use of old tools. How big /small is that board?
Thanks, I've been getting quite into woodworking, and have been spending the last several months doing primarily traditional woodworking with hand tools. It's a challenge at times, but so much more rewarding, at least to me.

The board is half the size of an ITX board. 6.69" x 3.35" according to their specs. I always struggle with the size comparison pictures... I don't drink anything that comes in a can
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 06:24   #19
Mechh69
I think we can make that fit

Mechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming SaiyanMechh69 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lol what about a standard coffee cup the ceramic kind that may do well for comparison. But I applaud you for doing it the old fashioned way with 100+ year old tech. Your skills are a lot better than mine and im sure since working with this project they have gotten better. Are you going to use chisels to carve something in the side or top? Are you going to paint the case or stain it? It would be ashme to paint such pretty wood maybe a wax or stain.

i7 920@3.8Ghz,EVGA E760 Classified, Corsair XMS3 X 6GB 1600, Kingston Hyper X 12GB 1600, 240GB OCZ Agility 4, MSI 660TI 3GB, BFG 260 GTX Core 216 for PHYSX, Thermaltake Armor+, BFG EX1200 PS, Scythe Mugen 2 Cpu cooler, Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ, Nvidia 3D Glasses
Mechh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 16:37   #20
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Thanks Mech, I like to think I get better with each project I do, whether or not that's true, I guess I don't know

As for the front, I wasn't planning on doing anything. I can't really carve anything in it, since it's birch plywood with mahogany veneer over it. I haven't really done much carving... I'm not any good at it.

I was thinking about using cabernet stain on the mahogany, like I did for my other mini HTPC (same veneer, with cabernet stain) and then just an oil based top coat. I might also just leave the mahogany and only use top coat too. I have yet to use mahogany and leave it unstained. I'll have to do some testing on some scrap, to see how the three woods look together (Oak, Mahogany, and Cherry).

On the "100+ year old tools" I know this is a little off topic, and not really related, but this plane was given to me by my Grandfather, and we believe it came from my mothers-cousins-grandfather, as the wedge had his name on it, and a date. The plane dates back to the late 1800's, and I sharpened it up, and made a few shavings with it. It feels really good, for a reason I can't really describe. Again, sorry of the OT, I just like sharing

Last edited by Mosquito; 23rd Sep 2012 at 16:45.

View Mode