bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Aug 2012, 07:45   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Phanteks PH-TC14PE review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...c14pe-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 09:16   #2
mhadina
Minimodder

mhadina has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I agree with all you said in the article. High-end all the way...
mhadina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 10:31   #3
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Nice, but when it comes to coolers, experience has taught me to keep it simple...they are without doubt the single biggest pain in the arse component of any build.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 11:07   #4
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
h80 is much easier install produces better temps and not alot more expensive, For the sake of 8 id happily pay it for an easier install.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 13:01   #5
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.damien c is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
h80 is much easier install produces better temps and not alot more expensive, For the sake of £8 id happily pay it for an easier install.
True but it is allot louder if you runs the fans at full speed, as the H80's sound like jet engines spinning up unless you change the fans for a quieter model.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2012, 23:03   #6
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
hah damn i'm surprised something that massive and heavy doesn't rip the mobo in 2
Old 29th Aug 2012, 01:30   #7
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

True but it is allot louder if you runs the fans at full speed, as the H80's sound like jet engines spinning up unless you change the fans for a quieter model.
What would be the best fans to use with an all-in-one watercooler?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2012, 01:38   #8
lancer778544
isnt really an ultramodder...

lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Scythe Gentle Typhoons seem to be everyone's go-to radiator fan.

I just can't believe something that big, heavy and expensive can be matched by 30's worth of Arctic Cooling i30 on a socket 1155 based system.
AMD FX-8320 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Enermax Infiniti 650w PSU | CM Storm Trooper | Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
lancer778544 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2012, 05:58   #9
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer778544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post

I just can't believe something that big, heavy and expensive can be matched by 30's worth of Arctic Cooling i30 on a socket 1155 based system.
Cheers lancer...
Old 29th Aug 2012, 11:52   #10
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer778544 View Post

I think out of all our tests systems, the LGA1155 rig is the most likely place for this to happen, for the simple reason the coolers aren't dealing with as much heat. Here, the bulk of the cooler counts for less, but the Arctic Freezer i30 is a big cooler too so it's not totally unsurprising - it's just amazing that Arctic can sell it so cheaply. In our LGA2011 system, the Phanteks was ahead of course - big bulky coolers are where it's at here, or liquid cooling of course.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2012, 16:33   #11
lancer778544
isnt really an ultramodder...

lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.lancer778544 is definitely a rep cheat.
Ah, I didn't see the i30 on the 2011 system before I made that post. Yeah I can see what you mean now
AMD FX-8320 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro | 4GB EVGA GTX 680 Classified | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Enermax Infiniti 650w PSU | CM Storm Trooper | Creative Soundblaster X-Fi
lancer778544 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2012, 23:29   #12
jamesriley94
Minimodder

jamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljamesriley94 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I prefer the D14 really

I put Silverstone fans on mine:
jamesriley94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Aug 2012, 23:32   #13
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
What you describe is the same with the Thermalright coolers too - their performance is often average until they are really allowed to shine with a very hot CPU. This is why I liked X58 so much because it was a big jump in heat from Core2Quad and really put a lot of coolers to shame.
Phun: E8200 @ 4 :: Asus P5Q-E :: 2GB Cellshock :: X1950XT 256 :: CWT 400W
LennyRhys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 06:57   #14
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c

Anand had an article on nearly that very topic a couple days back.

Still more than happy with my CM Hyper-something (not the 212, the one before that, with the 92mm fan.) Even pushed hard, my PII X720 @ 3.3 would top out around 50 degrees. Just wish I hadn't unlocked the fourth (unstable) core - apparently that breaks the ability to monitor temps on the CPU

Even the Hyper 101 (80cm fan) I just picked up for my wife's computer is excellent - nice and cool and not terribly loud. Not bad for $15.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2012, 17:56   #15
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i want to like those all in one liquid coolers, but my experience with the H50 a couple of years ago told me that if you want and require silence, nothing beats a big fat heatsink with quiet fans..
even if you put the same fans on your liquid coolers, you'll still have pump noise.
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2013, 16:53   #16
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
We've re-reviewed this cooler both because it has been updated with new fans and because we now have new test rigs.

Check out the full Phanteks PH-TC14PE Review here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...c14pe-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2013, 17:04   #17
Somer_Himpson
Banned

Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.Somer_Himpson is definitely a rep cheat.
Surely high end air coolers are now pointless with the low cost, generally better performance and proliferation of AIO Water coolers?
Somer_Himpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 01:20   #18
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

'Pump noise' of an AIO cooler is something that baffles me still. The reviews never seem to mention it but people's comments often claim them to be silent while others claim they are the louder than the fans, even when talking about the same model of cooler.
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 06:02   #19
Elton
Proud Model M User

Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.Elton is definitely a rep cheat.
The blue is fantasticly gorgeous.
Old 22nd Aug 2013, 06:28   #20
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still say no AMD testing is BS - you can't tell me LGA2011 holds that much market share.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote