bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Sep 2012, 07:25   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The incompetent thief

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...mpetent-thief/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 07:41   #2
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
I have a tendency to rush headlong into the thick of it with little regard for the consequences. If I die, I adapt and approach it more carefully. If not I continue to wade in.

I have to curb this urge in mmo's when grouping. Though while I'm soloing I will tend to just get stuck in there with my squishy Mage, taking more abuse than my character should be able to survive. I only kite if I'm going to die, and sometimes not even then. Hold The Line!

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:08   #3
Sarakon
The German

Sarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for presidentSarakon should be considered for president
I always end up building those awkward classes and am constantly changing them. Somehow I manage to make it work, but in those situations where you attract hordes of enemies it can get tricky. When first playing a game, for some reason, I just have to try out all the options, instead of sticking to one and then making a separate character.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:11   #4
Draksis
Code Monkey

Draksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for president
When I got my hands on Thief 2 ages ago, I also had the tendency to launch head long. However that game (more so than others) taught me to sit, wait and watch. Now I spend anywhere up to an hour and a half per level on Deus Ex.

I've gotten to the stage in Thief 3 now, that recently I played a full play through without knocking out any guards, and only using about 2 dozen water arrows for the whole game.

Why you ask? there is something about it that I find extremely relaxing (and I'm not just refering to the siting and waiting part). Like sittting in a park and watching everyone around you. It's a bit zen, I agree, but then again, thats me

I always have to play stealth character types. Even If I start a heavy armor, 2 handed battle axe type, I either start to develop my sneak skills, or I get unhappy with the character and scrap it.
Draksis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:38   #5
Tris
Multimodder

Tris has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah, it's definitely true that certain play styles do carry across between games, often even in totally different game genres.
In any game with character customisation I always end up with a glass cannon. Highest damage I can possibly get and rely on movement/cover/reflexes instead of things like health/armour/defence.

The result is normally a character that can crush opponents skulls with a single blow, or wipe out legions in a fiery hellstorm. As an added bonus you are always on the verge of dying, which adds to the excitement.
Tris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:47   #6
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hing
I am doomed to play the incompetent thief forever, but the few times I've tried to break away from this, things just haven't felt right. Somehow, I can only feel satisfied with completing a game if there's a part of me that thinks I did it by accident.
my god! why oh why do i play like this? at least now i have words to go with the feelings when i do play/complete a stage.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 08:48   #7
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Yeah, it's definitely true that certain play styles do carry across between games, often even in totally different game genres.
In any game with character customisation I always end up with a glass cannon. Highest damage I can possibly get and rely on movement/cover/reflexes instead of things like health/armour/defence.

The result is normally a character that can crush opponents skulls with a single blow, or wipe out legions in a fiery hellstorm. As an added bonus you are always on the verge of dying, which adds to the excitement.
Hahah I often do the same. Maximum damage, limited health. I only change it up if the game gets too hard.

My Alpha Protocol playthrough was stealth and maxed out hand to hand. One boss was almost impossible to beat but the game is general was easy as pie like that.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 09:02   #8
Shayper09
Swimming in Deionized.

Shayper09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I usually try and finish any game that involves guns using only sniper rifles and hand guns, the former at any range that enemies are. I now have stupid reactions, and get called a hacker whenever I even think about opening MW2. I don't know why, but this skill won't transfer to any other FPs. I'm terrible at BF3.
Watercooled Phantom
Click For Build Log
Shayper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 09:14   #9
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
It's not that I'm impatient, it's just that my patience gets exhausted really quickly.

lol! Man from my own heart.

Can totally relate, stealth is always the thinking mans choice, even if you're completely rubbish at it. I lost count the amount of times I used the quick load function on Human Revolution. Even if I did what had to be done, sometimes if it was even remotely sloppy I'd think to myself "That was sh*t. Let's go again."

Lame.

I do like to mix it up when it comes to class based MP though. Just because you're good as a light 'stealth' based class in one game, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be great in another. I played Spy constantly in TF2, yet in Tribes Ascend the Brute is my class of choice
Old 4th Sep 2012, 09:32   #10
Pliqu3011
Zero Hoots Given

Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.
I always want to play stealth in these kind of games, but after a few minutes it gets so nerve-wrecking for me that I end up to just killing everyone in the room (reasonably stealthily though) - abusing their limited AI capabilities ("two of my pals just died in this exact spot, but I'll stay here nonetheless" etc.) - and only then advance to the next area.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 09:51   #11
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
im thinking if players who are like me do the stealth route and avoid everything, or try to. (crysis 1 or farcry, cant remember, i ran miles through the jungle to avoid the beach patrols in on area and it did not bother me as much)

that we all play more for the story and want to know the ending like me? or do we all have different views on play style link with story or gameplay?
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:02   #12
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Nice blog! I totally agree.

I play every single game as if it's a mangament sim or tower defence game. I look for systems, a way to control the level as if I was some onimpotent dungeon keeper. I always try to avoid combat if I can - I'd much rather manipulate the level in such a way that the enemies are killed off indirectly without me having to lift a finger.

If there is AI to hack to my side, that's my first objective. If there are traps to set, I'll set them. If I can clear a level entirely, I will do, regardless of whether I need to. I want to own a level, be it's total and complete master.

In RPGs, I always end up playing a sneaky long-range type, with a side in summoning magical creatures to do the fighting for me. In TF2, I'm an engineer (naturally). In playing games like Bioshock, not a single turrent or droid died - every single one was hacked.

I'm guessing in Dishonored, I'll be the one player who attempts to complete the entire game using nothing but rats as an offensive weapon.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:37   #13
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayper09
I usually try and finish any game that involves guns using only sniper rifles and hand guns, the former at any range that enemies are. I now have stupid reactions, and get called a hacker whenever I even think about opening MW2. I don't know why, but this skill won't transfer to any other FPs. I'm terrible at BF3.
Laser bullets...
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 13:01   #14
ashchap
Multimodder

ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.ashchap is definitely a rep cheat.
I couldn't play the charge in/ sprint through a level style of play because I always have to explore every single room and open every single drawer in a level or I feel I might have missed something really important or interesting.

For some reason whenever I go into someone's appartment in Deus Ex I just can't resist picking up their fridge and throwing it out the front door - the concept always seems hillarious to me. Alternatively, swapping the fridge with another appartment is even better, although this takes quite a bit more effort!
ashchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 13:55   #15
abezors
Lurking since '08

abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.abezors is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Stealth all the way It is the thinking mans play-style as others have said. I don't sit and wait forever but I love the adrenaline build-up as you are waiting for the right second to move. Plus the feeling of stalking and slitting the throats of oblivious enemies is satisfying indeed (the stealthy dagger executions in Skyrim - mmmm).

Having said that, I spammed the Quick-save/load functions on Skyrim, Fallout and Deus Ex in order to get every section *just* perfectly right. If a planned shot went wide then its back to F9.

Though I went crazy-fast through MW3 since SP was so bad - I just wanted it to be over. No reloading either, just picking up guns every few seconds...
abezors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 15:03   #16
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I tend to try and explore as much of a game as possible on the first run through, see the sites and absorb the atmosphere. If it has any reply value then I will take what I have learned to get the character through as fast and efficiently as possible with maximum gain.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 15:08   #17
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As many guns as possible.

Fire enough and eventually you'll win, because everything that could oppose you, is riddled with bullets.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 20:10   #18
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Does hording count as a play style? If so that's me, I play each game like I'm a merchant who got caught up in something too big for him and once I finish "the game" I wanna be able to sell every single bullet I didn't end up shooting or having a massive stockpile of ink ribbons, first-aid sprays and herbs by the end of of a resident evil game, free to do with as I please!
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2012, 20:31   #19
hughwi
Ultramodder

hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.hughwi is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I tend to have to explore every single room or area of a level as I grew up with games that didn't let you revisit areas once completed, and if you missed out on some goodies, so be it!

I tend not to have the patience for pure stealth, so tend to do long range.
Old 4th Sep 2012, 22:43   #20
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Author, please stay in single player games.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote