bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 5th Sep 2012, 10:09   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Mini-ITX motherboard shootout

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...itx-shootout/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 10:20   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just a small typo on page 1 : "dinky little onboard 108.11 b/g/n card " - should be 802.11 i think .

And the CPU location on the ASRock board is actually the norm for Sandy/Ivy Bridge ITX boards, ASUS P8Z77-I and the upcoming EVGA Z77 ITX boards are the exception.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 10:41   #3
CampGareth
Minimodder

CampGareth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How tall is that VRM board compared to the rear I/O ports because I'm looking to build a computer that's in the old under-monitor style. As such I require a wide, deep but particularly short system. The closer to the three centimetres required of a dual slot GPU the better.
CampGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 10:55   #4
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
+/- same height, maybe a milimeter difference give or take - http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...02660431_o.jpg .
Old 5th Sep 2012, 11:18   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
How tall is that VRM board compared to the rear I/O ports because I'm looking to build a computer that's in the old under-monitor style. As such I require a wide, deep but particularly short system. The closer to the three centimetres required of a dual slot GPU the better.
P8Z77-I? Practically the same height. It fits within the standard intel heatsink 'keep-out' area and mini-ITX spec.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 11:42   #6
CampGareth
Minimodder

CampGareth has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thanks for the replies, though that does look a bit tall as does the ASRock with that back panel audio section. Oh well, let the googling commence!
CampGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 11:49   #7
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
one issue ive got with the Z77I is if i fit it to my Lian Li PCQ25. The daughter board covers at least a half of the exhaust fan. from a design pov i would have put the daughter board at the bottom of the board just above the PCIE slot rather than at the top.
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:00   #8
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko View Post
one issue ive got with the Z77I is if i fit it to my Lian Li PCQ25. The daughter board covers at least a half of the exhaust fan. from a design pov i would have put the daughter board at the bottom of the board just above the PCIE slot rather than at the top.
That would almost definitely infringe on the CPU socket keep-out area though :/ That's why the Z77 heatsink has to be so flat.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:05   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Asus board looks like it could be fun. The layout of the Asrock is crazy, though... I understand the limitations and difficulties on laying out a full featured ITX board, but SATA ports just there?
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:27   #10
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
I do not see any issue with the Asrock SATA for DIY or well thought cases . better on the edge of the board than just above the PCIe like on the Asus one (just like the USB headers too), easier to hide those fugly cables.

I really think it's easier to route and hide cables with the Asrock than with the Asus. Plus, here in France, it is 149€ vs 205€ ... the choice is easily made.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:41   #11
faugusztin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
That would almost definitely infringe on the CPU socket keep-out area though :/ That's why the Z77 heatsink has to be so flat.
Actually, the biggest issue with P8Z77-I Deluxe is... The PCI-E socket release thingy in cases like Lian Li PC-Q08. You can't access it from bellow - it is the bottom of the case. You can't access it from the top - it is not the push down, but the push from the side lock, and unfortunately it is from the other side. You can't access it from the side - the card is in the way. In pictures :

Good luck removing the graphics card without removing the whole board at the same time .

@blacko: If PC-Q25 is not that much smaller compared to PC-Q08, then i think the top cooler got plenty of breathing space above the VRM board, see the picture above again.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:47   #12
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
What it the CPU heatsink you are using ?

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:48   #13
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thank's for the shoot out as I am thinking of building a small media pc, that is also capable of playing any game out there for lans using the Bit-Fenix Prodigy case fully watercooled because, of the massive amount of space available for radiators.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 12:50   #14
faugusztin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilleAcoustic View Post
What it the CPU heatsink you are using ?
Noctua NH-L12. And no, it won't fit on the ASRock board with a graphics card.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:10   #15
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Noctua NH-L12. And no, it won't fit on the ASRock board with a graphics card.
What cpu are you using and what are the temp ? I'm considering a Lian Li PC-Q08

Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:19   #16
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
@GuilleAcoustic - this isn't my system but if you check out the location of the top fan and the mobo you'll see my issue.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...dqCWFF7irg&t=1
Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:20   #17
blacko
Multimodder

better image

http://images.tweaktown.com/content/...eview_full.jpg
Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:33   #18
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko View Post
@GuilleAcoustic - this isn't my system but if you check out the location of the top fan and the mobo you'll see my issue.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...dqCWFF7irg&t=1
I'm not a fan of this Asus. The chipset position is nice, but the SATA + USB header would be better on the edge of the board. The VRM daughter board is a nice feature, but involves issues with top fans on very small cases, which are not aimed at overclocking (so no use of that VRM board ).

Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:34   #19
iajo
Modder

iajo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If i was looking to stick a 3570k 4-4.2ghz oc in a bitfenix prodigy with a 7950 and ssd am i going to run in to cooling issues? Dont particularly want to watercool the lot, could get a h80/h100 for cpu if air isnt substantial enough. Also with no drive cages i believe a 200mm fan fits the front of the case so i would think airflow would be decent.

Really hope we get more choice in this form factor soon particularly with mobos.
iajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2012, 13:41   #20
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

Too bad that DTX and mDTX aren't available for consumers.