bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Sep 2012, 10:27   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The Path of Progress: Tracking the evolution of AMD’s graphics cards

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...aphics-cards/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 10:33   #2
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Why does this feel like advertising 0.o

EDIT:

To clarify, it seems to have sidestepped some of the "less-than-stellar" products such as the HD2900 and HD38xx series and doesn't seem to explicitly mention that the HD48xx series is where they started to turn around and provide better value-for-money.
vdbswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 10:38   #3
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
We're going to be doing a series of features of this ilk in the months ahead if all goes to plan.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 10:50   #4
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdbswong View Post
Why does this feel like advertising 0.o

EDIT:

To clarify, it seems to have sidestepped some of the "less-than-stellar" products such as the HD2900 and HD38xx series and doesn't seem to explicitly mention that the HD48xx series is where they started to turn around and provide better value-for-money.
The first AMD (non-ATI branded card) where the HD6000 series, that's probably why it starts with the HD5000 series.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 10:52   #5
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd be interested to see their path of progress on how they decide to release their drivers/what theyve done to improve themselves in that area. Ive always found their hardware to be excellent, but software (drivers) to be abysmal, especially notebook drivers. I recall paying £35 for Brink on release day, only for it to be completely unplayable on AMD graphics cards until months and months later, by which point noone was playing it anymore.

Good article though, an interesting read!
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
bigc90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:12   #6
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This is definitely advertising.

I'm choking on all the superlatives and lack of any criticism. This article doesn't feel like it was written by bit tech at all, unless you have some new hyped up PR guy as your new writer?

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:18   #7
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Here are some of my most hated sentences from this ridiculous article (by the way, topic is great, way it has been approached is not). Feel free to add yours below:

Quote:
Today, CrossfireX on the Radeon HD 7000-series sees anything up to double the average frame rate in certain games versus a single card.
- yeah awesome! Except both BT and CPC both recommend NOT doing either SLI of CFX and have done for years

Quote:
AMD pushed graphics fidelity to the next level in 2007,
- what does that even mean?

Quote:
The Radeon HD 5970 was the fastest graphics card ever released at the time, which made it the ideal card to show off EyeFinity’s potential.
- it was also hot and loud, and Eyefinity was an absolute dog to get set up outside of just using it for windows.

Quote:
Now, with a compatible 3D monitor, 6000-series card owners could watch 3D video and play games in stereoscopic 3D
- Yeah they could, all 4 of the games that AMD supports, in badly optimised 3D.

Quote:
Which brings us to today – 2012 sees AMD's latest 7000-series takes everything we’ve seen before and kicked it into overdrive.
- Starting to look around for vomit bucket

Quote:
it’s a new evolution for AMD graphics cards that not only focuses on gaming performance, but also the highly useful mouthful that is general-purpose computing on graphics processing units (GPGPU
- Good, something useful and actually relevant, but why does it have to be a 'new evolution' - can't we go back to talking like normal people and not a narrator from a Michael Bay film

Quote:
Whether you have one monitor or several, plan to play in 2D or 3D or want to build a system with multiple graphics cards, the Radeon HD 7000-series has you covered.
- grabs PR vomit bucket and begins to retch.

Quote:
With support for PCI Express 3.0, 4K video and DirectX 11.1, they are ready for the next generation before it even arrives.
Vomits PR flavoured bile into PR vomit bucket.

Quote:
It’s ready to take your rig’s graphics performance to new levels
- PR Vomit so strong it burns through bottom of PR vomit bucket.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I - 8GB 1866 - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80 - 450W SFX

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro

Last edited by Parge; 6th Sep 2012 at 11:27.
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:27   #8
bigc90210
Teh C

bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bigc90210 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Here are some of my most hated sentences from this ridiculous article (by the way, topic is great, way it has been approached is not). Feel free to add yours below:
Blimey, thats a pretty good point. I think pointing out things such as there shortcomings, and ways they've came back against nvidia would have been less biased.

now that ive just read parges quotes, it does reek of advertising :/
Asus Maximus VI Extreme, i7 4770k @ 4.7GHz, EK Supremacy, 32GB (4x8gb) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1600Mhz 1.5v, 3 x W/C Titans in SLI, 500gb Samsung 840, 3x128GB Corsair SATA 3 SSD's in Raid 5, 2x2TB WD Greens in RAID 1, Corsair 540, Logitech G19, Razer Naga Molten, Razer Vaspula, Razer Kraken, Leap Motion, Triple 27" 2560x1440p,
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:34   #9
Delphium
Eyefinity enabled

Delphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the DremelDelphium has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
with the purchase of ATi in 2006. Eight years down the line, AMD has come a long way,
8 years? Who has hidden 2 years from me, im still in 2012?!
Delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:34   #10
Zinfandel
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Zinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitZinfandel is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Lovely idea, disgusting execution.

Seriously, how much did AMD pay for this puff piece?
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:37   #11
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

Apologies: this is a sponsored feature, but the tag thing I tried to flag it as such has disappeared. I'll add a line of text to the bottom.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:39   #12
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

Updated now. Apologies for the confusion.

We are looking to do more features charting the path of progress of companies and their technologies in the future. All comments, as always, taken on board.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:42   #13
dogknees
Multimodder

dogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Where are the details? You know, the block diagrams showing how they've changed over the generations. How the cores are grouped. How data moves around the chip. How the caching strategy has developed. .......

This article should be at least 5 times as long.
dogknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:44   #14
shah
Hypermodder

shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.shah is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Love your comments Parge
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:48   #15
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Might be a nice article, but sorry chaps, I don't read adverts as a rule. I hope it makes you some good ca$h though so you can to lots of tasty non-sponsored features in the near future as well.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:51   #16
bigc90210
Teh C

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty View Post
Might be a nice article, but sorry chaps, I don't read adverts as a rule. I hope it makes you some good ca$h though so you can to lots of tasty non-sponsored features in the near future as well.
^^ what he said, pretty irritated by this now, especially considering youve just read 2 pages of biased material before you hit the tiny footnote that its sponsoered. Theres no mention of it being sponsored on the first page (which is what most people who wont make it to the second page of the article will read). a bit misleading?

I hope theres going to be no "sponsored" hardware reviews anytime soon.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 11:57   #17
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

Will add the sponsored tag to the top, no problem there. Not trying to mislead people at all.

I don't think anyone could ever call our reviews sponsored, either (they're not, of course). Especially if we could show you everything from this side of the fence!
Old 6th Sep 2012, 12:00   #18
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I appreciate that these things have to be done from time to time (most if not all issues of CPC in recent memory have at least one advertisement feature), and I certainly don't think bigc90210 was suggesting you use bias in reviews. It's just that this is the first time we've seen such a feature on the front page of Bit, so an image banner and something in the title/subtitle of the feature would be most appreciated.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 12:03   #19
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

I've put it at the top and end of the article now. My error, there. Apologies.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 12:07   #20
Mentai
Hypermodder

Mentai has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I second @zinfandels comment.

If I wanted to read the upsides of AMD with absolutely zero criticism I would go to amd.com. This reeks of desperation bit-tech, whatever happened to the advertising staying well away from editorial? Doesn't the direct mingling of the two compromise your integrity when reviewing future AMD products?
Mentai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moan, winge