bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Sep 2012, 07:54   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The decline of memory challenges in games

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...-dairy-farmer/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 08:51   #2
Edwards
Hypermodder

Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Edwards is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
One of the Skill Points in the Asura starting area in GW2 is a memory puzzle. The NPC makes a speech, and then asks you questions on what they said a minute later. I was pretty disappointed with just how many attempts it took me to get the answers right!

Edit: tried to post this directly to the comments section at the bottom of the article but got 'Invalid Thread specified'.
Intel Core i5 2500k - Maximus V Gene - 4x4 GB Corsair XMS3 1.65v 1600mHz - Asus GTX 570 - 256GB Samsung 830 - Samsung F3 1TB - Samsung F4 2TB - Corsair HX650 - Silverstone TJ08-E - LG IPS231P-BN x 2 - Corsair K70 - CM Storm Inferno
Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 09:41   #3
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sorry, fixed that!
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 10:01   #4
mi1ez
Ultramodder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
First thought that crossed my mind (after Monkey Island of course,) was the Wind Fish's Egg in Link's awakening. left up right up left up right up left up right up!
Old 11th Sep 2012, 10:23   #5
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
"no matter now simple that information is" paragraph under 2nd image.

i wish they brought more puzzles into it. what i find being and old school gamer, using the arrow keys still to move :-), is that i remember the code and get to the door and the sad feeling that the code pops up again cos i saw it earlier and takes away a sense of accomplishment or epic win feeling. i feel cheated at those times.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 10:53   #6
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Just discovered this while looking for somthing else:http://www.scummbar.com/community/games/swordfighting/

A real test to your long term memory. You're no match for my brains, you poor fool.
Old 11th Sep 2012, 12:57   #7
Raptorkid
Minimodder

Raptorkid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
In fact, I can think of not a single modern AAA game that presents you with a unique piece of information at one point, and then requires you to recall that information at a different point to continue, no matter now simple that information is.
What about Fallout 3's ending where you're given the password to the purifier at the beginning of the game?
Raptorkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 14:41   #8
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The thing is with these is that...

What were we talking about again?
Old 11th Sep 2012, 15:21   #9
pimlicosound
Multimodder

pimlicosound has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorkid
What about Fallout 3's ending where you're given the password to the purifier at the beginning of the game?
That was my first thought, too. Pathetically, I couldn't remember it and had to look up the solution. I suppose I've just got used to games not requiring me to use my memory, so I hadn't engaged it at all while playing the game.
pimlicosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 15:21   #10
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Years of substance abuse have left many of us unable to remember what we had for breakfast, so the decline in intellectual standards in gaming aren't a huge shock.

Shirty: "I broke your keyboard, sorry."
JaccoW: "I knew this was a risk when I sent it your way."
Shirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 16:03   #11
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
a thought... maybe its not just the way games are made but google itself?

gone are the days of getting through a stage required u to actually think, now u try once, maybe twice then alt tab, google it, and continue. so maybe both are to blame, games stopped working like that cos gamers stopped trying and vice versa.

damn you google!
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Sep 2012, 18:39   #12
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.Sloth is definitely a rep cheat.
Reading this article immediately reminded of playing Final Fantasy IV, getting decently far, then stopping for a few months. Forgot where I was and what I was doing. Uh oh. No in game helping notes, all the NPC dialogue had already told me where to go and was now spouting lines like "Good luck! We're all relying on you!" just to make me feel even worse about completing about their plight. Ended up starting over again.

Try selling an RPG without a quest log of some sort in today's gaming world and you'd be getting death threats!
Old 11th Sep 2012, 19:34   #13
Jacob-86
What's a Dremel?

Jacob-86 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ico was a great puzzle game. Very minimal dialogue which required you to use the environment around you and experiment. Another great puzzle game (of a slightly different style) was Shadow of the Colossus. Both of these created by the same group of developers. Both available on the PS2.

I highly recommend them if you haven't tried them out.
Jacob-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 00:00   #14
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yeah well these days everyone has ADHD and the average gamer starts a sentence and
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 09:26   #15
lepre
Supermodder

lepre has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Most of the people nowadays would just google the information needed right away.
Old 12th Sep 2012, 16:19   #16
Dwarfer
Banned

Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Dwarfer is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I miss challenges in games. I have to go back & play Mario Bros or Zelda to get a challenge nowadays
Dwarfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 16:40   #17
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
It isn't hard if it isn't Nintendo-hard.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 20:17   #18
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Am I the only one who kind of liked Dr. Kawashima’s?
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 22:56   #19
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
It isn't hard if it isn't Nintendo-hard.
Aargh my heart, it's sad when I read that. It's amazing how not just Nintendo games but most games in general back then really were hard. Even kids games, game design just generally seemed to be all about making tough challenges for gamers to overcome, and we had to try to beat it, whether it was saving a princess or solving PC Adventure Games or getting to the end of Contra, or getting to end of Doom or whatever else. And just to think that nowdays, there are hardly any games left like that. Just a small percentage of games, and those are mostly only retro ones anyway, like Trine or Legend of Grimrock or whatever.

Nowadays gaming is all about instant gratification instead.
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Sep 2012, 23:07   #20
oliverr97
Multimodder

oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.oliverr97 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I never really liked memory games (mainly due to my terrible memory), but its a shame that they have declined so much.
Cm Storm Enforcer|Intel i5-2500k|Asus p8p67 pro|8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP Blue1600mhz|EVGA GTX 460 1gb| Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 Pro|Corsair Force 3 60gb SSD|Hitachi 1tb Hard Drive| Windows 7 Professional|
oliverr97 is offline   Reply With Quote