bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:00   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
FTL review

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...4/ftl-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:03   #2
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Liiiinuuuuuux game ! Might me tempted by this one

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2012, 11:14   #3
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Definitely going on the list to play... Right after Black Mesa.
Old 14th Sep 2012, 13:10   #4
BLC
Something witty goes here

BLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming SaiyanBLC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Definitely going on the list to play... Right after Black Mesa.
Exactly! More important games are released today!
BLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2012, 13:15   #5
////\oo/\\\\
Hypermodder

////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Well chuffed with this review - I backed this game on Kickstarter
Old 14th Sep 2012, 14:01   #6
Lenderz
Supermodder

Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And my names in the credits which makes it even better.
Lenderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2012, 14:55   #7
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Definitely interested. And it's entirely possible that the devs will listen about difficulty levels etc.
Old 16th Sep 2012, 15:57   #8
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's pretty fun but it annoyed me in a few ways. Most obvious is that it's too hard to access new ships and it can get old fast playing with just the basic one and first one you can unlock (which you do get easily). Second there are a few unbalanced elements to the game, most notably boarding combat, a couple of times now I've found myself boarded at the start of a fight by members of species that fight harder than my crew and don't mind a lack of oxygen, which essentially means that I'm doomed from the second I enter the area and any actual fight that follows is a mathematical formality.

Hopefully they'll add more content, open it up to be more moddable and generally improve the game, but there is a tendency with Rogue style games to look at this sort of balance problem and just chalk it up to bad luck and not needing to be fixed.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2012, 17:15   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis View Post
It's pretty fun but it annoyed me in a few ways. Most obvious is that it's too hard to access new ships and it can get old fast playing with just the basic one and first one you can unlock (which you do get easily). Second there are a few unbalanced elements to the game, most notably boarding combat, a couple of times now I've found myself boarded at the start of a fight by members of species that fight harder than my crew and don't mind a lack of oxygen, which essentially means that I'm doomed from the second I enter the area and any actual fight that follows is a mathematical formality.

Hopefully they'll add more content, open it up to be more moddable and generally improve the game, but there is a tendency with Rogue style games to look at this sort of balance problem and just chalk it up to bad luck and not needing to be fixed.
I've now put a fair number of hours into this game - much easier to do that some would think - and I'd agree with much of this. I've had the boarding issue happen a half-dozen times, as well as reached the final boss only to beat it by the skin of my teeth but leave me in no fit state for continuing the third stage of said fight. I hate boss fights where you kill it (the ship explodes) only for it to "warp away" and be back at full health!

I've played one game where people practically threw weapons and upgrades at me - "Here, have this for free simply for warping in!" and another game where I limped from one fight to another, scraping through by the skin of my teeth and perpetually running out of everything.
Old 16th Sep 2012, 19:01   #10
dolphie
wts batwings

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Everything gets so overhyped these days. For just 2 quid more you could get a game that's about 50 times bigger and better, and you wont be fed up of it in a few days:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46330/
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2012, 19:37   #11
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

I'm afraid I've not perfected my omniscience yet (read: you have to know about something before it's an option...)
Old 16th Sep 2012, 19:58   #12
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
It's pretty fun but it annoyed me in a few ways. Most obvious is that it's too hard to access new ships and it can get old fast playing with just the basic one and first one you can unlock (which you do get easily)
I do have to agree, so far I've unlocked the both layouts for the engi ship, and the other layout for the basic ship, but am a bit stuck (beyond a vague "need to find <race> homeworlds) as to how to unlock the rest, I could look it up but that sort of ruins the point.

One thing I would love to see added (via mods or DLC or something) is the ability to create your own ships.

I think my favourite combo so far is some ion weapons to disable shields + weapons, then fire bombs and boarding drones, it's not great against AI ships, but hilarious against manned ones.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2012, 13:55   #13
Vo0Ds
Fake potato

Vo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the DremelVo0Ds has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is anyone else thinking Battlestar Galactica?

Masara: i5 2500@4.2Ghz | Asus P8P67LE | EVGA GTX460SC | 8Gb Corsair 1600 | 1TB WD-C BLACK | Fractal R3 | LG 23" IPS
LEGO Ghetto HTPC: Broken-ass laptop pulled apart, now a HTPC... made of LEGO. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Vo0Ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2012, 14:19   #14
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I've played a few times but for the life of me cannot figure out how to upgrade my shields or use drones.
Old 17th Sep 2012, 15:31   #15
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by veato View Post
I've played a few times but for the life of me cannot figure out how to upgrade my shields or use drones.
To upgrade shields, click on Ship, then go upgrade the shields. You need to do it in twos, though, otherwise it's a waste of scrap. Then assign some extra power to the shields.

Drones are similar, but have a tendency to turn off when they feel like it.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:27   #16
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
To upgrade shields, click on Ship, then go upgrade the shields. You need to do it in twos, though, otherwise it's a waste of scrap. Then assign some extra power to the shields.

Drones are similar, but have a tendency to turn off when they feel like it.
Where do I do this. When I go to ship screen I can assign more bars to the shields (using my scrap) but back on the game screen it says 'system upgrade required'?
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:34   #17
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by veato View Post
Where do I do this. When I go to ship screen I can assign more bars to the shields (using my scrap) but back on the game screen it says 'system upgrade required'?
Right, it says that because two shield bars in the ship screen give you one actual extra shield. So you're probably buying half of a shield and expecting to be able to power up a full one.

To use drones you need a drone control system. Some ships have this by default, but for the starter one you have to buy it from a store.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 14:53   #18
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Oh, I like the look of this!

I have a few games in my ever-increasing list of unplayed titles that I really must get on with, but I think I'll pick this up in the near future.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 15:29   #19
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Ploughed quite a few hours into this over the last few days, and I'm very satisfied for 5... However I can't help but think it's a bloody hard game. I can only make decent progress on easy, and even then I haven't beaten the boss.

It's great for randomisation, every plough through being different systems etc, but I wish there were more layouts/ships to unlock (and an editor, that'd be kickass).
Old 19th Sep 2012, 05:12   #20
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I am loving this game! it is simple and really fun. recomended!
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote