bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:04   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Borderlands 2 review

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...nds-2-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:13   #2
Whindog
Supermodder

Whindog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Obligatory FIRST!!!!

More of the same.......if you enjoyed BL1 I guess youd like this, but i think ill pass.

Nice review joe.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:14   #3
Whindog
Supermodder

Whindog has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
PS- Not sure how you gave it 85% >.> <.<
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:21   #4
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As I was reading this I kept thinking I might have made a mistake with the pre-order. The review read so negative for me I was kind of dreading seeing the score.

85%

Oh. Er, wasn't expecting that.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 07:45   #5
Kodongo
Multimodder

Kodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run Crysis
Can someone explain to me the significance of the Borderlands 2 4-Pack because I don't understand why it's priced at 100? Is it the same game told through four different perspectives, four intertwined games, four separate games or what?

Also, the review reads nothing like one would expect of an 85% score.
Quote:
First it's important to lay the groundwork for what Borderlands 2 actually is, which is mainly done by remarking how similar it is to the first game on all the broad levels.
Quote:
Borderlands 2 manipulates you into thinking the game is more meaningful than it is
Quote:
Money and the appearance of it within the game then are just part of the stylistic veneer to cover this vapidity
Quote:
The story and the wit with which the world has been assembled is the real draw here though. It's pithy, it's self-knowing, it's riddled with more pop-culture references than an entire season of Buffy The Vampire Slayer. It's what makes the otherwise transparently meaningless gameplay feel worth playing, with friends or alone.
The feeling I got from the article was that the gameplay was one-dimensional and didn't really add much over its predecessor. I was expecting 60%-65%. After having read the article, I kept thinking about another article by Bit-Tech, "When did 8/10 become a bad score?". Having observed how certain sites hyperinflate their scores, is this game really worthy of one which indicates that it's verging on excellence?
Intel Core i7-2600k | Noctua NH-C14 | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | Asus P8P67-M Pro | Samsung 8GB 30nm | Samsung 830 256GB | WD Black 1.5TB + 1TB | Seasonic X-660 | Dell U2412M | Ducky Shine III (Brown) | Asus RT-N66U

Last edited by Kodongo; 18th Sep 2012 at 07:54.
Kodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 08:03   #6
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
the 4 pack is just 4 copies of the game, so you can buy it and split it between 4 people and it works out slightly cheaper.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 08:26   #7
Kodongo
Multimodder

Kodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run CrysisKodongo can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiytan View Post
the 4 pack is just 4 copies of the game, so you can buy it and split it between 4 people and it works out slightly cheaper.

Thanks. For some reason, I imagined all these complex reasons for a 4 pack when it's simply a money saving technique.
Intel Core i7-2600k | Noctua NH-C14 | Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC | Asus P8P67-M Pro | Samsung 8GB 30nm | Samsung 830 256GB | WD Black 1.5TB + 1TB | Seasonic X-660 | Dell U2412M | Ducky Shine III (Brown) | Asus RT-N66U
Kodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 09:15   #8
Blarte
Moderate Modder

Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Blarte - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Games are a means of escape and enjoyment
It looks colourful, and if its like BL1 it contains oodles of raw humour. What more should be asked for in a game like Borderlands? Turn it on play it for an hour, turn it off.
Its not pretending to be dark mysterious and arty, with clear objectives (save the princess, own a castle, destroy a tank) .. its a cartoon style game, its silly, its fun. It ought to be given merit for what it is, not what it isnt
Old 18th Sep 2012, 09:47   #9
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Jezcentral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see the problem with the score. The game is shallow but fun. The same could be said of Diablo 3, COD X and Pong. None of this it's mutually exclusive to an 85% score. Many other places seem to agree with this score. Looks like I'll be picking this up on Steam at Xmas, as XCOM is fast approaching.
Jezcentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 09:48   #10
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezcentral
I don't see the problem with the score. The game is shallow but fun. The same could be said of Diablo 3, COD X and Pong. None of this is mutually exclusive to an 85% score. Many other places seem to agree with this score. Looks like I'll be picking this up on Steam at Xmas, as XCOM is fast approaching.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 09:49   #11
Jezcentral
Multimodder

Aaargh! Sorry!
Old 18th Sep 2012, 10:16   #12
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well should have got this on preorder. But i'll get it at Xmas or before if my regular gaming buddies get it. Need more free time. Ruddy work and kids always seem to prevent mindless computer enjoyment. Thoroughly enjoyed the first ones humour and this seems to have just dialled up the humour more so they made the best thing better.
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 10:34   #13
AlexB
Web Nerd and WC Addict

AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.AlexB is definitely a rep cheat.
Can't wait for Friday - Pre-ordered.
Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen. That's the last sensation I had before I blacked out; that thick smell of asphalt. She said she'd fix my bike. Free. No strings attached. I shoulda've known then that things were never that simple. Yeah, when I think of Maureen, I think of two things: Asphalt, and trouble.
1: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, AMD 7970 (3gb), Corsair 256gb SSD
2: Intel I7 2600k, ASUS P67 Pro, 16gb Corsair, Nvidia 680GTX (4gb)
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 10:41   #14
badgerz
Minimodder

badgerz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A review of no positives given 85%. OK THEN. So I take it the game is good? or possibly bad?
badgerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 10:52   #15
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by veato View Post
As I was reading this I kept thinking I might have made a mistake with the pre-order. The review read so negative for me I was kind of dreading seeing the score.

85%

Oh. Er, wasn't expecting that.
85% because like the first game it'll be loads of fun despite the shallow nature of the game. Lets face it. Mindless violence is probably the main reason most of us got into gaming.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 10:53   #16
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well, firstly the score/review takes for granted the fact that the gunplay is good and that I don't need to stress over every point: The machine guns feel nice, the shotguns feel nice, the grenade mods are fun....

As for the score, I felt it was reflective of the quality...but, come on. Scores are nonsense, Bit-tech. You're smart people, you know this. You can't objectively review a subjective product that accurately. The number is an at-a-glance number for the people that want to use that or mainly that.

If you're smart enough to read the review, you should be able to use that and form your own opinions. If you've read what I've put and you say "God, that game sounds rubbish", that'll be the opinion you have. If you disagree and say "Man, it sounds like he's totally missing the point of the game" then you know this is the review that'll be an indicative of your reactions.

Scores are nonsense. I know they're nonsense, you know they're nonsense - but they can be a useful nonsense for some readers and they're a politically useful nonsense elsewhere in the industry. I'm not going to spend ages worrying about getting the score right; I'd rather focus on getting my understanding of games and my level of writing up.

Time spent defining a difference between 82 per cent and 83 per cent is time wasted. The furthest I go down that argument is to say that I use the entire 1-100 score (including 100 per cent) and to say that 50 per cent is considered an average (or 'only functional') game.

/rant

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 11:15   #17
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
First of all - pre-ordered and I can't wait for it to arrive.
Second, Borderlands may be flawed, but it has always been a fun ride and worth the journey. In a world which is filled with serious yet shallow crap which is then foisted on us, why can't we have a game which is simple, witty and fun?
Third, the review was fine, I don't have an issue with it.
Also: Vapid?
  1. Lacking liveliness, animation, or interest; dull.
  2. Lacking taste, zest, or flavour.
I'm not certain that Borderlands could be described as vapid. Shallow...arguably. Vapid, I don't think so.

The money. Why over analyse it? Why couldn't Pandora have a failing economy that is suffering hyper-inflation and they've had to adopt the far more stable Zimbabwean dollar? That is why there is so much lying around. That is why it buys so little.

Last edited by Adnoctum; 18th Sep 2012 at 11:19. Reason: Added list for clarity
Adnoctum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 11:23   #18
LennyRhys
Air Cooled

LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.LennyRhys is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum
Also: Vapid. (Adj) 1) Lacking liveliness, animation, or interest; dull. 2) Lacking taste, zest, or flavour. I'm not certain that Borderlands could be described as vapid. Shallow...arguably. Vapid, no.
Vapid also means tedious, and this is a perfect word to describe Borderlans and not in the least bit pejorative - as Joe said in the review, every minute of gameplay is essentially the same thing over and over and over and over (ad infinitum) but it's very cleverly masked with eye candy, humour, and guns... lots of guns.
Old 18th Sep 2012, 11:25   #19
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Loved the first game (so much so that I'm still playing it on the 360, PC and PS3).

The review sounded fine to me. Might not be a Day 1 purchase (especially with Christmas only a few months away - need to start saving) but it's definitely at the top of my list of games to pick up.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 11:44   #20
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quick, add me on Steam! I need people to blow the living hell out of Pandora with this weekend!