bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th Sep 2012, 21:05   #1
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

saxovtsmike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Prodigy Casemod : Final 08-21-2013

After a little Introduction of my work done till now including a bit of an overview over my watercooled LianLi A05 here is what Im up to at the moment.

Please excuse some spelling mistakes and other grammar stuff, Im from Austria (skiing no Kangoroos, that sentence I used quite often in the US of A) 34 Years of Age, Ive a nearly 3 year old son and Im a Software Engineer.

First of all, Big Thanks to Bitfenix Germany for giving me the opportunity to work on their marvelous Prodigy case.

As the Project title will make you guess it will be another boring Red-Black-White styled R.O.G. Themed casemode, as there were allready so many average ones, and a view good ones.
Well Ive to live up with that, and I can only give you my promise that Im going to do my best.

Well wait a moment, R.O.G. Themed Build in a Prodigy someone might ask, just to be certain, its going to be an ITX build, no crappy crunched in Asus Gene something.

It wasnt my plan to do what Im going to do in the first case, because I was following the EVGA Z77 Stinger itx boar since the first rumors and previews. Thx to twitter and EVGAs Jacob
As there is no sign of a release Date, I went back to things I knew, so it had to be tha Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe.
As the casemod is ROG themed Im going to mod and style the Mainboard as good as I can into something that Asus should have done by themselves.
Making a propper Z77 Maximus Gene ItX.
Now whats that for a name ?

As this will task will take some time do fullfill in a propper way, I really havent looked in specific hardware details, like choosing a CPU,GPU, Ram and cooling.
I just took the stuff I got cheap and the rest will be decided when its time to make decisions.

So the Hardwarelist at the moment is quite short, an nothing like Fixed

Mainboard : MAximus Gene IX (P8Z77-i-Deluxe)
Ram : second hand 4gig Reaper Kit
Cooling : second hand Corsair H50

The second mayor Part of this Project involves the second name-giving Item, a White Bitfenix Prodigy.
Speaking of that, I think there is no need to bore someone with Pictures of a fully assembeld Case or an unboxing story.
But what I can tell you is what Ive in plan for the case.
First of all Windows on both sidepanels. With a mainboard orientation like in this case you have to show gpu and cpu side.
Ive allready marked the maximum size for each window, which is limited by the PSU Housing/Mainboardtray

Next after that the Tray will get some opening on both sides to the PSU , on top to reduce contact chances of a cpu backplate to the tray, and towards the front Ill open the tray for more access in case of a modular psu and its plugs.

After removing the top and bottom Wobblebars (pls. tell me a propper name for them) a really cute case was left. Really like that

Apart from the remaining holes which are found after removing the bars.

I just did that as I have an idea to follow which ended in a small 3d sketch :

The first draft of my top wobblebar replacement.
The cut out will be done to fit the original Mesh cover to keep a littel oem style.
Heightwise Im planing 2 types.
Type A, the slim one with about 30mm in heigt, to house and hide 2 fans which would be for an Aircooling setup, a below mounted Radiator, or a top mounted slim Radiator
Type B woulde be about 50mm in heigth and would house a top mounted 45mm Radiator.

What can be mounted for the top, Can also be fitted as a replacement for the bottom wobblebars.
To keep it simple that would only work as a Case Feet bracket with an option for Additional IO Ports which would look somewhat like

or a 3.5" fan controller/Aquaero, or just a simple Mesh. So many options to look at.

While on cables and stuff, I really dont know if this will be a sleeved build, Custom crimped cable lenght is a fixed point, no extentions, Hopefully I can find a solution for that ughly USB3 Header which is really short and I really dont like the Idea where it should be plugged into. Well same thing is for the usb 2.0 ports on the Asus board.

Finally there will be the question in which direction this build will go.
As planed in a sleek, simple surfing office system, or as as expected in a full watercooled high end gaming rig, to replace my Gulftown system.
Time will tell...

Last edited by saxovtsmike; 21st Aug 2013 at 20:25.
saxovtsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2012, 22:51   #2
AbKaRy
What's a Dremel?

AbKaRy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Very interesting concept indeed ... Sub'd
AbKaRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 16:55   #3
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Mainboard arrived at home.
Tried to make some nice pictures of the delivery state.
Seems like lots of work to do for me

Old 19th Sep 2012, 20:58   #4
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Did the actual possible mods.
Cleaned the Coolers
De-Stickerd the Mainboard, oops void the Warranty after 2h of ownership
Removed the useless Wifi

Color Change of most of the blue parts of the Mainboard seem to be undoable without a soldering Iron, which is a mayor setback. Colorcoding with a permanent marker seems not to be the option I thought it would be.

Time to get some Ideas while sleepin.

Last edited by saxovtsmike; 7th Jun 2013 at 07:07.
Old 19th Sep 2012, 21:26   #5
whatsthatnoise
Modder

whatsthatnoise has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You could try to "disassemble" a permanent marker to reach less accessible parts. Or a less adventures way, get some model paint (from Revell or something alike), a precise brush and lots of time and patience.
whatsthatnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 21:50   #6
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
The de- stickered board is beautiful!
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 00:39   #7
AciD_RaiN
Multimodder

AciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run CrysisAciD_RaiN can run Crysis
I'm planning a prodigy build next so I will be following this one closely I believe in you mate
AciD_RaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 00:57   #8
LKummer
What's a Dremel?

LKummer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wait, ROG colors are red and black, and this motherboard is blue, so you are going to paint the coolers?
And the moded board is looking great!
LKummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 08:14   #9
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsthatnoise View Post
You could try to "disassemble" a permanent marker to reach less accessible parts. Or a less adventures way, get some model paint (from Revell or something alike), a precise brush and lots of time and patience.
I dont think that Ive got the patience or skills to do that, so that that the outcome would look somewhere near the quality I would like to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
The de- stickered board is beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AciD_RaiN View Post
I'm planning a prodigy build next so I will be following this one closely I believe in you mate
Thanks alot to both of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKummer View Post
Wait, ROG colors are red and black, and this motherboard is blue, so you are going to paint the coolers?
And the moded board is looking great!
THAT was the Original plan, but at the moment it looks like its not going to happen.

Need to do a reconcept of the color scheme but there arent so many options avaliable.
Silver/alloy are quite dominating next to blue. The white of the case itself is the next huge impact on the design.
When not adding a 4th color Im quite limited with my options.
Getting the silver out of the equation would be probbably the easiest Task, but on the downside of that, the silver parts are the ones I like best at the moment.

The plain silver from the caps in combination with the cleaned Heatsinks are quite pleasing
Old 20th Sep 2012, 14:24   #10
coolamasta
Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.coolamasta is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking good, will be watching as I have a Prodigy case that I might mod in the near future

My Main Rigs:~ H2O'd i7 3770K @ 4.5 - 16GB - H2O'd GTX 670 | Asus Z9PE-W8, EP-Xeon 2670 @ 3.2 - 16GB
| ~~~ My Current Dual EP-Xeon 2670 Project ~~~ | ~~~ My Mitsubishi Evo Track Car Project ~~~ |
coolamasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2012, 08:26   #11
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Changed the Title because a R.O.G. styled P8z77 wont happen.
Ill focus first on the metal work, and the mods done to the case.

Future Hardware decisions in case of color choice will be done afterwards
<sorry>
Old 10th Oct 2012, 20:23   #12
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Dear Bit-Tech

Did some work on the CAD system.

Primary idea was to get pre-production Ready sketches for the windows, to get some quotes for them.

Last, but not least, a closeup of a set of Replacement feet for the Prodigy.
For an aircooling Setup this might be a Final revision too

Should give the case a more stable stand on the table, and a little reduction in height.

enjoy
Old 11th Oct 2012, 08:59   #13
Phame
Hukkel's sex slave

Phame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPhame is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Liking the renders dude, keep up the good work!
Phame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2012, 18:14   #14
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Tried the new ram sticks on the new mainboard...

Seems that we have slight problem/issue for the support stuff :-(
Old 18th Dec 2012, 21:10   #15
Stem83
Addicted to modding.

Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Stem83 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Yep, either they are a tad wonky, or im drunk! (And I am not a drinker. lol)
Stem83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2012, 19:35   #16
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem83 View Post
Yep, either they are a tad wonky, or im drunk! (And I am not a drinker. lol)

The Stinger has less space between the Ram slots than others, On the Asus z77 itx it looks good.
Testfitted my Radiators, 240x45mm in top, 140x30mm in front.
With a modfront the 120mm fans of the top radiator will fit inside, when I can move the 140 rad 5-7mm down compared to the actual Position.
Finally it might even be enough space to fit my Aquaero5 below the 140 rad.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 19:57   #17
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Thats gonna be the final loop

Rear view, left and right of the Psu there will be holes for Quickcouplers (VL3N) to keep my Mora working at home

Pwm Laing in its new home, some of the mobotray is missing

Gpu Side, Ductaped hose goes out to the vl3n coupler, all the rest seems to be clear

Coming from the vl3n quickcoupler up to the CPU waterblock (hopefully in a nice bend ) from the waterblock the fluid flows to the gpu near radiator entrance. As Im using tygon leftovers, I had to cheat a bit from the rad to the res

Plenty of space for the Aquaero, because mounting the top rad with one hole offset.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 20:11   #18
OcSurfe
Uber Noob

OcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitOcSurfe is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
looking god mate, i await updates eagerly
OcSurfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jan 2013, 18:21   #19
Malketh
Multimodder

Malketh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting placement of your res and pump! Did you look at EK's 140 res/pump top?

Also, I love seeing a white Prodigy with that Asus board. I'm still working on modding my own and seeing a lot of the ideas I have mirrored here is kinda eerie. lol
Malketh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2013, 06:35   #20
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malketh View Post
Interesting placement of your res and pump! Did you look at EK's 140 res/pump top?
I also own a Series one EK Xres/DCC Top. The new one looks thempting as Id prefere the smaller Plexi cylinder of the "100" and has an input in the backside.
Probably Ill order a Plexi tube from the "100". With the actual solution Ive far more options and I allreday had all the parts

View Mode