bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Sep 2012, 08:20   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Fractal Design Node 304 review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...e-304-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 08:32   #2
guvnar
Modder

guvnar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Aaaah SilverStone Sugo SG08 take note... price/size much closer!
guvnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 08:33   #3
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by guvnar
Aaaah SilverStone Sugo SG08 take note... price/size much closer!
Silverstone has a lot of other cheaper Matx cases.

Looks like this is the case I'll go with. I was really unsatisfied with the SG02 I bought and ended up giving it to my stepfather to load his AMD fusion rig.

Thanks bit-tech for covering all these cases.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 08:43   #4
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Loving all the MiniITX coverage.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 08:52   #5
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_chegg
Me too.

This looks like an excellent bit of kit, the PSU solution is a really good idea to let you use proper CPU coolers, rather than crappy low profile jobs.

OT: Spelling mistake in the 2nd paragraph, first page, "bushiness" should be "business" methinks. Also, last sentence of the 4th paragraph should probably be "so read on" rather than "but read on".
Old 19th Sep 2012, 09:00   #6
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
No ODD = stupid, IMO, as mITX systems are popular as media boxes - it's a bit early to expect people to consign their BluRay drive to the spares cupboard.

Also, does a mITX system need room for a 165mm HSF? There's easily enough room to design a slimline mount and raise the mobo 20mm.

I'd rather buy the Prodigy and do something about the rattly panels.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 09:44   #7
saxovtsmike
Multimodder

saxovtsmike has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still miss a closeup picture of how the HDD are mounted in that bracket.
Would be a nice replacement for my home server which is actually housed in a A05NFB
saxovtsmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 10:00   #8
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_chegg
Me too.
Me three
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 10:24   #9
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love this chassis.

During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 10:43   #10
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I like the concept, but I still want my disk drive. It seems that once I have a bit of cash it will be the SU08 for me, mostly because of the depth.

Cheers for all the reviews.

Last edited by Lance; 19th Sep 2012 at 11:17.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 11:15   #11
GuilleAcoustic
Ook ? Ook !

GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.GuilleAcoustic is definitely a rep cheat.
Nice one, but feel like a Jack-Of-All-Trade. No ODD, have to trade HDDs bay when long card is installed, big CPU cooler compatibility .... but few mobos allowing both big cooler AND GPU installed. I'd like to see a vibration test with all HDDs fitted.

For a NAS, I think a PC-Q25 is best suited, with a nice low power cpu. Only 30€ deerer but it has hotswap capability, supports more HDDs and it has a smaller foot print.

i5 4570 - Asus Z87 Gryphon + Thermal Armor - 8GB - Sandisk Extreme II 240GB - EVGA GTX770 - PC-V353A
GuilleAcoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 11:22   #12
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
What options are for mounting the PSU?
Upwards facing air intake of the PSU possible?
Are there holes on the bottom for the PSU to suck cold air from beneath the case?
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 12:09   #13
xMathiasD
<Title></Title>

xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.xMathiasD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
yeah awesome reviews lately.. but i kinda love this case.. and would be the perfect home server i think, so i'll skip the HP NL40 and build my own!
Old 19th Sep 2012, 12:17   #14
dunx
ITX is where it's at !

dunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysisdunx can run Crysis
Steel & plastic = partial demote...

Would like to see a test with an AIO added...

dunx
Asus P6T7 WS Revo. + Asus U3S6 - i7-960 @ 3.8 GHz - Corsair H70 - 6 GB Corsair DDR3 @ 1600 MHz - 64 GB Cucial M4 SSD - Dual WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III HD's - HD 5870 + GTX 480 - Coolermaster 1250W PSU - ANTEC P280 - 4 x 240 V server fans - Griffin Powermate
dunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 15:36   #15
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken76 View Post
What options are for mounting the PSU?
Upwards facing air intake of the PSU possible?
Are there holes on the bottom for the PSU to suck cold air from beneath the case?
It's pretty much facing down or nothing. The base has a vent and fan filter - sorry should have mentioned that in the review - and the cage has mounting holes for facing down only. As far as I can tell, you'd only be able to secure one screw if you have the PSU facing upwards.
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2012, 18:17   #16
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article P2
...especially if you're be using a long graphics card.
Is Bit-Tech nuh be writin' wit a Jamaican accent, mon? Yah intrestin' style choice, but I an I irie bwoy!
Nuh, weh di lambsbread?
Old 19th Sep 2012, 18:46   #17
Adnoctum
Kill_All_Humans

Adnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for presidentAdnoctum should be considered for president
Have the Bit-Tech offices been burgled? That is my theory on why the case looks like it has been fingerprinted by the police. What a fingerprint magnet!

The lack of an ODD isn't such a pain for me. My MITX gaming system doesn't have one even though there is space for a slim drive, but I don't miss it because when I need to use a CD/DVD I can use a USB drive. If you are using the drive all the time, then it may be an issue.

I think I'd be wary of the PSU and might err on the side of caution and get one that has an 80mm exhaust fan. This is due to two things in my experience: 1) PSUs with obstructed intakes get hotter which causes the fan to run faster, and 2) better quality PSUs with 80mm fans are no noisier than those with 120mm fans at a normal desktop power draw. Plus internal PSU airflow/cooling is better with a rear facing fan pulling air through the PSU.

Lastly, my sense of aesthetics is mildly annoyed, but not offended, by the slightly curving slab front. I would prefer it if it was squared off and flat. Also I'm not thrilled by the switch/ports being on the side, I'd prefer them along the bottom edge, perhaps off-centred to the bottom right corner. But that is just me.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 00:00   #18
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adnoctum View Post
Is Bit-Tech nuh be writin' wit a Jamaican accent, mon? Yah intrestin' style choice, but I an I irie bwoy!
Nuh, weh di lambsbread?
Nah, it's talk like a pirate day today.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 18:50   #19
Chicken76
Hypermodder

Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Chicken76 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus View Post
It's pretty much facing down or nothing. The base has a vent and fan filter - sorry should have mentioned that in the review - and the cage has mounting holes for facing down only. As far as I can tell, you'd only be able to secure one screw if you have the PSU facing upwards.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm wondering how much clearance is there on the bottom of the case, as in how tall are the "legs"? If the PSU is starved for fresh air, its case will get warm and that will raise the temperature inside, especially with the fans on low speed, which is the setting most people will use.

Last edited by Chicken76; 26th Sep 2012 at 13:34. Reason: spelling
Chicken76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2012, 12:32   #20
[EOCF] Tim
Minimodder

[EOCF] Tim has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Seems close to perfection to me. Bitfenix has an identity crisis. IMO if you are going to build small it should really be mini ITX small. This fulfils all my requirements, and can be easily water cooled with thick single rad with dual fans. The HD bays are just genious. Air flow looks spot on. I find it hard to fault this case.

Instant buy for me (as soon as I have the money for a new setup lol)

And the removing of a drive bay is fantastic. I still need a drive now and then, and I'm getting a SATA to USB caddy with cheap 2nd hand slim laptop DVD burner. Blueray is for my Sony player, I'm not getting my PC to do that.
[EOCF] Tim is offline   Reply With Quote