bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 2nd Nov 2009, 18:24   #1
cmd_
Multimodder

cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
NPGP-A01, 21th Update [13th Aug 2015] Five years later

NPGP-A01
New Project, my Great Project with a lian-li A01
Direct links to updates:

Actual Status:

Old stuff:

Sponsorship:

DFI is sponsoring with a LANPARTY JR 790GX-M3H5 motherboard.

EK waterblocks & Traxtore is sponsoring with a EK-CoolStream-RAD XT 360 triple Radiator

Special Mention & Where to buy things that I use to build the mod?:

Izarmicro helped me a lot to contact with some manufacturers., here you can buy DFI products.

Project exposure:
I've been thinking about this for months, thinking about to do a great mod, sober, elegant, professional work...
I'm looking for sponsorship for some mod parts, because I prefer to spend money on vital parts of the mod, for example parts that I can make with raw materials or electronics. Also It's a bit harder to find sponsor to cover all the mod costs, is more easier to find a sponsor for hardware or cooling components.
But, well, after a +10 years in the modding 'under'world, I modded for me and for commercial business (manufacturer & third parts). But never I made a business deal between manufacturer and myself, until now.

I decided to start from a commercial case, because it matches my base ideas. Also comes with some machining that I can't do in my home. They're made with specialized industrial machines and I don't have acces to it, for now. This case it's a Lian-Li A01.

I made some proof of concept sketches. The case needs a lot of work to achieve the ideas inside my head.

I don't have the A01 in my hands, measures can be wrong.
The front bezel will be in aluminium. There will be a mesh in front of radiator. Also I need to work more in the case front, make changes to fit a little display (alphanumeric) and give more personality.

PD: Yes, there are no dvd unit

Last edited by cmd_; 26th Aug 2015 at 01:25.
cmd_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 20:54   #2
pistol_pete
Air Cooled Fool

pistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremelpistol_pete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is it going to be watercooled? Might need a pump!

You could probably fit a slimline DVD somewhere, they are surprisingly small.
- Q6600 G0(9x333) -- Asus P5k Premium -- 4GB Ballistix DDR2-800 -- EVGA GTX570 -- OCZ Vertex 2E 128GB -- 500GB Samsung F2 -- Antec Truepower New 650W -- Samsung Syncmaster 206BW -- Razer Lycosa, DeathAdder, and Destructor -- Custom Buitl Watercooled Case --

Pistol Pete's Project Perspiration Project Log
pistol_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 21:12   #3
woody_294
Wizard Ninja :P

woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.woody_294 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Aye, that's gonna be a tight fit!

Nice concept
woody_294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 00:15   #4
Andersen1337
Multimodder

Andersen1337 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will definatly be following this, looking to build something similar myself.
Andersen1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 01:16   #5
cmd_
Multimodder

cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.cmd_ is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Thanks all for following the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol_pete View Post
Is it going to be watercooled? Might need a pump!

You could probably fit a slimline DVD somewhere, they are surprisingly small.
Yes will be watercooled, sketches didn't show nothing, only the radiator. The pump goes between psu and radiator.
I don't use optical media, practically never. I could use a external drive if I need.
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 03:22   #6
Von Lazuli
I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Von Lazuli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yikes, that is cozy...

I will be interested to see future sketchups, that is a tiny box to fit everything into. I watch...
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 07:50   #7
RasmusAnden
Modder

RasmusAnden has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
that design is awesome! - love the "cleanness"

Subbed!

Edit: aren't there supposed to be pics of actual modding in here? ... can we see pics?
RasmusAnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 00:53   #8
Autti
Multimodder

Autti has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is exactly the kinda build i want to make, mATX watercooled very well in the smallest case possible. Definitely be watching this closely.
I was considering doing my build in the Lian Li Xbox case, its 160x250x415mm (W,D,H)
But that meant fitting a mATX board which is, 244x244mm a seriously tight fit with only 6mm to spare :P
Autti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Nov 2009, 00:50   #9
cmd_
Multimodder

1st Update, the first sponsor!

Hi, I'm very happy to anounce the first sponsor, DFI. They are supporting me from the beggining, and this is very important for me.
They have given me a motherboard, a LANPARTY JR 790GX-M3H5, you can see the technical specs in the DFI website:
http://www.dfi.com.tw/portal/CM/cmpr...rmal&mode=view

All this business has been possible thanks to DFI's official distributor in Spain, Izarmicro, who helped me a lot to contact with DFI.
Thanks for all the professionalism and attention given, thanks Jon, Patricia & Karin.

Well, let's explain some interesting things from the mobo. This summer I was looking for a mobo in m-atx format. I decide to choose this one because it allows me a big management. It have a lot of bios parameters to control voltages and fine tuning, specially for overclocking. Also, the pcb desing and component placement are good.

I made some photos from the unboxing:

This summer also I bought a PhenomII 955BE and a pair of corsair ddr3 memory modules at good price. They combine pretty well!

Here a closer look

For now I will mount the system on my PC-65B to work freely with the other. Also I disassembled the watercooling system to prepare some components for new system.

Running in stock air

Some daylight.

Old 20th Nov 2009, 11:35   #10
cmd_
Multimodder

2nd Update, A01 arrived.

At last! the A01 is here, it was a bit difficult to get, because most distributors have no stock. Finally I found one on a local store, but in black. I prefer in aluminim due to paint job later.

This its a old 'black ice pro', you can see that the radiator width fits completly well. Anyway the radiator isn't taking all the case width, is touching with the motherboard tray. With the mobo tray removed, or cutted, a radiator can be placed spaciously, without any problem.

So, ok, now starts the serious job, remove those all pieces that isn't need and cut!

Stay tuned
Old 20th Nov 2009, 12:42   #11
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I really like your renderings! I will be following this one for sure!
Old 20th Nov 2009, 13:28   #12
Pashtet
MonstaMods

Pashtet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Damn! You make me think about buying this case! Love what you're planning to do with it!
Pashtet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Nov 2009, 19:47   #13
cmd_
Multimodder

3rd Update, Disassembling the case

He he he, yes, I'm a bit excited, this was the first time that I totally disassembled a lian-li. After all wasn't too complicated, unscrew some screws, drill & punch the rivets...

Wow, gained a lot of space!

There's a problem with the radiator, al least with those black ice extreme models. It touches with the rails used to lock side panels. This needs to be fixed later.

Now I don't have a triple rad. but you can make a idea with this. I think it will fit without problems.

Oh, a dual rad. can be placed in the case top!

Time to drill.

This piece gives robustness to the structure.

Starts to take away a bit.

Unscrewing this you can disassemble the lock device.

Here the lock bar, it works like a latch.

At last! finally I can separate the front/top and rear/down pieces.

Here the little problem explained before, the widest part from the radiator is touching with the lock bar passer.

Ah, remember to store the screws and little parts in a safe place when you disassemble a case!

Yep, ready for hard-work!

A basket to store all pieces on a safe place!
Old 21st Nov 2009, 21:07   #14
Validus
Multimodder

Validus has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love taking cases apart. Especially finding those craftily hidden screws between stickers =^P.

I like the concept drawing... Clean and classy. Looking forward to how it comes together.
Validus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 00:54   #15
pabn1
What's a Dremel?

pabn1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, what do you think: would it be possible to make the wires go behind the motherboard tray?
pabn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 13:04   #16
cmd_
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabn1 View Post
So, what do you think: would it be possible to make the wires go behind the motherboard tray?
Sure, it's possible, there are sufficient space between mobo tray and side panel to fit some wires
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 14:25   #17
pabn1
What's a Dremel?

pabn1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd_ View Post
Sure, it's possible, there are sufficient space between mobo tray and side panel to fit some wires
Even a fat 24pin mobocable?
pabn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 17:03   #18
cmd_
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabn1 View Post
Even a fat 24pin mobocable?
After a profuse experimentation with PSU wires seen here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...5462&p=1944364 , I can say that I'm sure

No, really, however I can put a rail to guide the 24 wires from the psu to the mobo connector. There are a lot of ways for doing that, I do not mind this for now.
Old 22nd Nov 2009, 23:44   #19
Pashtet
MonstaMods

Pashtet has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
what are you going to do with the rads? find some smaller ones? maybe something like XSPC RS series?
Pashtet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2009, 00:58   #20
cmd_
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashtet View Post
what are you going to do with the rads? find some smaller ones? maybe something like XSPC RS series?
I'm trying to "measure" if a triple radiator could fit, I do with a dual+single I have a old cooltek on another pc, like this but triple: http://www.hardwareoverclock.com/Dual-Radiator-2.htm

It's a bit old, has a simple design, I think less effective compared to newer radiators... or not, don't know.
Which are the exterior measures of XSPC?

View Mode