bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:17   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
PS3 loses weight in time for Christmas

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...or-christmas/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:45   #2
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's a bit lame that the price is HIGHER than the PS3 Slim, which has a slot loading drive and is presumably more expensive to manufacture (since, I imagine, the reason they can slim it down again is down to component process shrinks, component consolidation, and reduced cooling demands, all of which should save money)

My original 40GB is getting a bit temperamental and I will replace it soon, but I'll probably get a Slim rather than the new one (Slimmer? SuperSlim?) even though I prefer the gloss finish, since I'd like the slot loading drive and would rather pick up a 160GB Slim (more than enough space for me - never filled the 40GB) for £185 than a 12GB new one for ~£210(?) or a 500GB for ~£270(?).
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:59   #3
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
One day they're going to release a nice looking version of a console that will look nice with a hifi stack instead of these ugly futuristic boxes!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:20   #4
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
One day they're going to release a nice looking version of a console that will look nice with a hifi stack instead of these ugly futuristic boxes!
Unfortunately I doubt this - I'm sure Sony, MS and Nintendo have done their homework and tested various shapes. I bet they'd be delighted if they could get away with a plain black box like a DVD player, but there is a certain expectation as to how a console looks, and unfortunately a lot of people are swayed by that more than by practicalities and performance. Of course there was always Lian Li's XB-01B Xbox 360 case, and I'm sure you could make a cracking mod project out of recasing a PS3...
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:22   #5
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I did consider going down the Lian Li route, but thats still not really what I was after. I may end up rehousing my space xbox 360 at some point.

Actually thats not a bad idea.... To the bat cave!
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 17:13   #6
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
How many people are going to be temped by this when the PS4 is just around the corner?

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2012, 05:23   #7
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban
How many people are going to be temped by this when the PS4 is just around the corner?
If my PS3 which was bought when the PS3 was first released died I would.
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2012, 13:36   #8
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Its a little disappointing that my original 60gb (upgraded to 500gb) is still the best one they have made in terms of functionality
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 12:03   #9
Roskoken
Multimodder

Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Roskoken is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Would rather SLi my PC
Roskoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 12:35   #10
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban View Post
Or not.
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 13:23   #11
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
It's a bit lame that the price is HIGHER than the PS3 Slim, which has a slot loading drive and is presumably more expensive to manufacture (since, I imagine, the reason they can slim it down again is down to component process shrinks, component consolidation, and reduced cooling demands, all of which should save money)
Not necessarily, a friend of mine has a slim and they're still very noisy (not much quieter than the fat versions), which indicate they still have fairly substantial cooling demands. If this new super slim version runs any quieter than the previous models then it would be worth the extra money IMO, especially since a lot of people use it as their main media box.

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2012, 14:00   #12
Sam__
Multimodder

Sam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for presidentSam__ should be considered for president
Why did they chose 500Gb or 12Gb? seems like quite a large gap...
Sam__ is offline   Reply With Quote