bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Sep 2012, 11:08   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Kickstarter cracks down on hardware projects

Bye-bye shiny product renders; hello pictures of janky prototypes.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...re-crackdown/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 11:26   #2
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Good. This means somebody has to actually have something of a product to sell, rather than just a bit of skill in a render program to pull the wool over backers' eyes.

That said, I'm not convinced about the multiple items limit. I backed two Pebbles - one for me and one for the better half. Surely there is nothing wrong with that? Plus, if they enforce this, it'll just be bypassed by offering PayPal donations on the side, which is something that already happens.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 12:24   #3
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
"The best rule of thumb: over-promise and under-deliver."

I think you might have that the wrong way around, Gareth
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 12:41   #4
Jehla
Supermodder

Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Jehla is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
What's wrong with renders? Assuming the are clearly labeled as such.
Jehla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 14:22   #5
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehla
Because when used alone they don't provide a true picture of the current state of the project. Kickstarter want their funding model to be used to fund products already in development rather than use it to fund 'concepts' where the product doesn't exist in any shape or form or where the prototype isn't close to the product the project is promising.

Personally I think renders should be allowed but they should be secondary to the images and pics of the prototype.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 15:03   #6
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wheres the incentive to go for 100 watches when its same price each as 10
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 15:12   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX View Post
"The best rule of thumb: over-promise and under-deliver." I think you might have that the wrong way around, Gareth
Hah! T'wasn't my fault, this time (although I should have caught it) - that was a direct copy-and-paste from the Kickstarter Blog. Looks like they've fixed their version now, so I've corrected this to match.
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 15:25   #8
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Hah! T'wasn't my fault, this time (although I should have caught it) - that was a direct copy-and-paste from the Kickstarter Blog. Looks like they've fixed their version now, so I've corrected this to match.
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure it was
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 15:41   #9
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
I never really got the idea of kickstarter. Give someone money to p*ss away in whatever manner they please with no obligation to you or any other "investor" to provide the product which was initially outlined.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 17:11   #10
fellix_bg
What's a Dremel?

fellix_bg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A compromise solution for the future projects on KS could be rapid prototyping, a.k.a. 3D printing. It's cheap, even for single runs, and provides convincing impression of the intended product.
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 17:18   #11
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellix_bg View Post
A compromise solution for the future projects on KS could be rapid prototyping, a.k.a. 3D printing. It's cheap, even for single runs, and provides convincing impression of the intended product.
Rapid prototyping doesn't provide any real improvement over a render for customers. It's still ends up as an image of an artists impression of what the device might look like on the website. If you haven't got a good idea what the internals of a device is, be it electronic, mechanical or both. Then a render (or rapid prototype) of the outer case is pretty meaningless. This is why an actual working prototype is much more valuable (even if it looks like crap) than a pretty picture of the casing the end product might fit into.
Old 24th Sep 2012, 17:41   #12
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow2001
Rapid prototyping doesn't provide any real improvement over a render for customers.
But it can do, depending on the product. Take a phone case / stand / gizmo. A render may show the product as a perfect bit of kit with all design issues and manufacturing issues ironed out. It could appear 'ready to roll' when in reality it's all wishful thinking and shallow promises.

A 3D print may show this as well, but it may also show how far the project owners have got to go before they get to a final production ready 'thing'.

All in all the Kickstarter is better with these changes in place, but they also went a little too far (banning renders in all cases) and not far enough in others.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 18:27   #13
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
A 3D print may show this as well, but it may also show how far the project owners have got to go before they get to a final production ready 'thing'.
I'll admit if the product needs to interact mechanically with something else and can be demonstrated to do so with a rapid prototype. Then it is of some benefit. However that is usually only one element of a product. For example a phone docking station that acts as a projector. A rapid prototype could show the design docking with a real phone, but it may not demonstrate capacity to hold lenses, bulbs, contain required electronics, deal with heat etc. Also there is the temptation just to print the drawings in a prototyper. A proof of concept prototype trumps anything else you can do in the early stages, regardless of how you seek investment.
Old 24th Sep 2012, 18:38   #14
ch424
Design Warrior

ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.ch424 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehla View Post
I've seen a few projects that I (as an electronics engineer) know aren't possible - they claim they can make something incredibly complex by putting an arduino in a different form factor, then saying "Software will be written" to take care of the rest. I'm sure that they're all in good faith and aren't trying to scam anyone, they've just underestimated the complexity of what they're doing. I therefore think it's a good thing that kickerstarter are forcing people to actually make a prototype - now many of the product proposers will see that what they're suggesting isn't actually feasible, and won't end up disappointing their excited funders.
ch424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 18:41   #15
fellix_bg
What's a Dremel?

fellix_bg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think, the true reason behind KS banning renderings is that they want to discourage the over-hyped "marketing" type of product presentations, and let's be honest -- graphics visualisations could easily spoil the way project managers are communicating with the public.
fellix_bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Sep 2012, 19:03   #16
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch424 View Post
I've seen a few projects that I (as an electronics engineer) know aren't possible - they claim they can make something incredibly complex by putting an arduino in a different form factor, then saying "Software will be written" to take care of the rest. I'm sure that they're all in good faith and aren't trying to scam anyone, they've just underestimated the complexity of what they're doing. I therefore think it's a good thing that kickerstarter are forcing people to actually make a prototype - now many of the product proposers will see that what they're suggesting isn't actually feasible, and won't end up disappointing their excited funders.
Yes, so many times I have seen ideas/"inventions" on the internet by what seems to be student industrial designers that overlook simple things like physics and the laws of nature.
Old 25th Sep 2012, 09:15   #17
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
good. hope kick-starter keeps up stopping EA mentality business' of more money for sub par !@#$.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 10:26   #18
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
To be honest, I think Ooya (or however you spell it) has to take some of the blame here. It was sold, in vast quantities, based off renders and vague promises. If the project backfires, and the end result isn't as good as the perfection made out in the pitch, then it could have a huge impact on Kickstarter as peoples' confidence in the system is shattered by such a high profile failure.

I didn't back it, because it all looked so tenuous. Not even a prototype was shown in any form - I wouldn't have cared if it was naked circuit boards - just glossy renders that they admitted could and would change.

Pebble, on the other hand, used renders and working prototypes to make their pitch - much more convincing and much more likely to actually come up with a result that adheres closely to those renders, simply because they've already done it on a hand-built level.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Sep 2012, 11:04   #19
Dudey109
Multimodder

Dudey109 has yet to learn the way of the DremelDudey109 has yet to learn the way of the DremelDudey109 has yet to learn the way of the DremelDudey109 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"That approach of offering bulk purchasing deals is clearly what Kickstarter had in mind when it described itself as not being a store - and is, again, now banned, "

Not what kickstarter had in mind? or am i reading this wrong

Jake
Dudey109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2012, 00:39   #20
dolphie
ken sent me

dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dolphie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I can imagine this going the way of YouTube eventually where they have so many new projects starting on their site, and it's all automated, they can't possibly cope with moderating them all. So you could end up with rule breakers on there or even illegal projects.

I need 10 grand for my penis extending machine! I will pay u guyz back I promiz!

Help me fund a war!

Invest in my awesome pool party full of hot naked chicks - you can come if you give me 500 dollars for some really nice weed!

Please halp. I just need a million dollerz to buy a gunship to blow up my geography teacher!
dolphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowd-funding, crowd-source, crowd-sourcing, funding, kickstarter, mod funding, ouya